New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sounds like a winner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We were discussing the idea of a "Ruger 10/22 configuration but done in 5.7x28. Any thoughts.

Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like a great way to blow your head off, the 10/22 couldn't handle the 22 mag, so what makes you think it would take a high intensity round

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Let's see Ruger had to go to a steel reciever to handle the 22mag. Which happens to operate at about the same pressure as the 22LR in the 24,000psi range. So stick a cartridge in it that operates at twice the pressure. Not me.

I thought I remembered some automatics having issues with the 17wmr. Spliting cases or something.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm aware you are unable to convert a 10/22, that is why I used the word configuration. It would have to be a different/new weapon entirely. Perhaps I posted this in the wrong forum as well.

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
A light semi auto carbine in 5.7x28 more likely something like a M1 carbine instead of a 10-22. would be fun. At 4 or 5 lbs with 20 round mags I could see it.Sty stock stainless steel.

The rest just read 10-22 they jump the gun to say the least.

Welcome to AR

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I see a mini-14 or maybe even a Ruger 44mag carbine as a better starting point. You need some type of bolt lock up to handle 50,000psi.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee, forgot all about their old 44 mag carbine. That's the idea. Maybe they'll do the ranch rifle in that someday. Not gonna hold my breath on that one though.

Bill

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I really like the consept of a light & handy semi auto carbine in 5.7x28. Just need to design an action around it. Interesting. It would make an awesome suvivial rifle especially for a bush pilot with the weight limitations. Could carry LOTS of ammo! tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you intrigued me. Not sure if these are vaporware or in production. Or if this is a configuration that interest you. http://www.excelarms.com/newproducts.html

Posts: 230 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't aware that they had receiver problems. One of our AR members manufactures 80% receivers that are set up to do any 17HMR2, 17HMR, 22lr, and 22mag. Basically you drill the receiver for 2 different positions for your trigger group and he has tungsten bolt for the mags as it is a lot heavier. I have one that I have not finished.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Wasn't aware that they had receiver problems. One of our AR members manufactures 80% receivers that are set up to do any 17HMR2, 17HMR, 22lr, and 22mag. Basically you drill the receiver for 2 different positions for your trigger group and he has tungsten bolt for the mags as it is a lot heavier. I have one that I have not finished.
Butch

Butch you got my attention. how do i find those receivers?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might send a PM to aleaddict. If no luck I will try to find his email address.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
K Thanks.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

<generalwar>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
sounds like a great way to blow your head off, the 10/22 couldn't handle the 22 mag, so what makes you think it would take a high intensity round

+1 lol

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I have shot the FN P-90 (full auto), kind of a neat toy. I guess the FN P-99 (semi) is not to your taste. It is too expencive for me to want.

For me I will take a 22 Mag or a Hornet, for this class of weapon.
Everything is already out there, guns ammo etc.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's not the receiver or the barrel strength that is at issue here; it is the fact that 10-22s, and all semi .22s, are blowback operated, meaning that the mass of the bolt holds all the backward pressure; then the brass case and the bolt travels rearward. You can make anything work like that, without a locking mechanism; you just need a really heavy bolt to do it. Look at a Sten gun, for example; it fires very hot 9mm ammo, but the bolt weights about 3 pounds. So, if you chambered a 10-22 for a high pressure round, you would get lots of gas released into the action, (probably blowing out your magazine) while your bolt would be traveling at a very high rate of speed toward the rear of the receiver. Eventually, it would batter itself to pieces, and....it just won't work.

Posts: 17107 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is why Brian uses a tungsten bolt{weight}
Butch