THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    98 Mauser, Pre 64 M70, or Springfield 03
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

98 Mauser, Pre 64 M70, or Springfield 03
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For a set of 3 classic styled rifles which action would be your choice and why? FIgure you are able to so at least 95% of the work yourself.

I currently have one of each of these actions on hand, and will likely sell off or trade off the other 2 in order to obtain two more of the one I decide to use.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Use them all...The 03 becomes a 30 06, the Mauser a9,3 x 62 and the model 70 a 375.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use them all...The 03 becomes a 30 06, the Mauser a9,3 x 62 and the model 70 a 375.

Sounds like a plan

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez,

I just had a Milk Dud and this is a no-brainer. All the above mentioned choices are great, except the sale part. Keep the excess. You will not regret such.

Luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only got 2 of the 3 (the Springfield isn't a big deal North of the dotted line). No dammed idea what to turn either one into.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough call, all three are classics. If you're at all concerned with ROI, you might go with the M70. But, ROI on custom rifles is pretty much non-existent. As BaxterB said, use 'em all, that's what I've done and I am quite happy with them all. As the saying goes, variety is the spice of life.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BaxterB has it right! I have two M-70s by Winchester and a Springfield 1903 and a Mauser M98 that have been sporterized as M-70s and I like them all.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigUglyMan:
I've only got 2 of the 3 (the Springfield isn't a big deal North of the dotted line). No dammed idea what to turn either one into.

35 Whelen comes to mind, a North American classic.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have all 3, and like all for them. The M70 was first, then I fell for the 03. But now I am only interested in M98s. Not really sure why...

But a nice, trim small ring mauser is as good as it gets, for me.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THe calibers with this set will be

6.5x55
375 H&H
404 Jeffery (already in the works on a M70 classic action

I may add in a 300 Win or 300 H&H at some point, but I generaly figure if the 6.5 won't be suffecient we are into 375H&H territory anyway.

I know there is a fair bit of overlap between the .404 and the .375, but practicality suggests the 375 the 404 is just a classic, and I already have that one about 75% of the way done.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rhys:
THe calibers with this set will be

6.5x55
375 H&H
404 Jeffery (already in the works on a M70 classic action

I may add in a 300 Win or 300 H&H at some point, but I generaly figure if the 6.5 won't be suffecient we are into 375H&H territory anyway.

I know there is a fair bit of overlap between the .404 and the .375, but practicality suggests the 375 the 404 is just a classic, and I already have that one about 75% of the way done.

You could always do a 9.3x62 instead of 375 H&H. It will give similar levels of efficiency and game, but the 9.3x62 would be an easier conversion and can be made a little lighter.

Excellent choice on the 404!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup. I have to agree with Baxter.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Pre-64 Model 70 is an improved Mauser--better safety, bolt handle, bottom metal, bolt release and trigger, plus cone breeching and an extractor that handles a round dropped in the chamber. Hard to beat perfection!

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
6.5x55
375 H&H
404 Jeffery

I like those choices... I might have gone with the 7x57 but the 6.5 is a neat caliber!

James Anderson is building a 300 H&H for my collection as we speak so if a .30 magnum is in your future, the H&H would get my vote.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, I have bought one of each of these in the last year. I would have to go with "keep them all" option too.

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote