THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Anyone have access to James Wayne in Texas?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have access to James Wayne in Texas?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
I just wondered if anyone has seen their C.P. Donelly rifle in 35 Whelen. I've emailed them a couple times about it and got no response. There appears to be a defect on the right side of the rear bridge. I understand few get to view their rifles first hand.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5109 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have always found them very difficult to deal with. Be careful.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jessee James Wayne?Caveat emptor!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to be the pot calling the kettle black, but I've always had the "what an asshole" impression while trying to deal with him.

That said, he is usually at the Dallas Arms Collectors show, the next one is Jan 9 & 10. You might be able to find some knowledgeable person to look at the rifle for you. It will probably be there. I'm probably not going so I can't help.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're high on my IGNORE list

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At one time (maybe still now?) if you walked in the door there you had to pay to see the guns. Seriously.

Normally with reputable outfits that advertise on the Internet, you call, you get someone knowledgeable, you ask for him to get the gun in hand and he answers questions about it. Not so with Wayne--at least a majority of the time.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Yep unfortunately ol' James is from Victoria and is not on many Christmas card lists. One of the infamous stories about James is he once had cars towed off of his property during a funeral when an overflow crowd forced folks to park on his property to attend the mass at the Catholic church next door.

He does accumulate some nice firearms from time to time, but I wouldn't deal with James to save me from Hades...

Just my $.02...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7526 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gentlemen. I better steer clear then. Darn shame too. I really like the overall look of that Donnelly rifle. Oh well.

Posts: 5109 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, my one experience was good. They answered all my questions by phone, promptly shipped the rifle, etc. I was concerned because I checked their background and a few things came up and this rifle was to good to be true but everything was perfect, other than
They would not budge on the price.

Posts: 352 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for mentioning that show Gato.
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Not to be the pot calling the kettle black, but I've always had the "what an asshole" impression while trying to deal with him.

That said, he is usually at the Dallas Arms Collectors show, the next one is Jan 9 & 10. You might be able to find some knowledgeable person to look at the rifle for you. It will probably be there. I'm probably not going so I can't help.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Anyone else think this looks like defect in the bridge? Possibly from the heat treatment process?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The word RUTHLESS pops to mind. Be careful.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The metallurgy won't let that area blue properly, and/or perhaps the tanks were too hot (hopefully) or the weld is bad for a number of reasons, its fixable as a rule unless its been welded too many times...It could be coated to match I suspect if it can't be blued. BTW the damage is not on the rear bridge, its on the bolt body from welding the Talley bolt handle, and basically a poor job, and should never have left the shop like that...Also the bolt can be replaced but would need the safety reinstalled etc. If the price is right would be my question.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote