New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preference on Octagon barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do you generally prefer a straight taper or contour? Maybe both depending on the project? What are your thoughts on the matter?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with Shilen#5 contours. James Anderson[gunmaker] did both of mine.I would ask the fellow that does yours.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the difference, if you had pics of both I'd be able to tell you what personally I like.

I know that I like lest abrupt transitions on octagon barrels, be it at the chamber to barrel point or 1/2 oct 1/2 round I always think they look best if the lines flow. a heavy step throws it for me. I always thought that stratton did a beautiful octagon and beautiful 1/2.

They're classy no doubt.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1/2 rd. 1/2 oct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you can tell from the photo on my 1/2 octagon.

Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Looks good Butch, how far forward of the forearm does the Oct end?

Do you have a profile pic?

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is just very little forward of the fore end.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Question.....If one were to put a bbl band swivel, would/should it go on the oct, or the round?

No too sure I remember seeing one.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The bbl band swivel would be on the round portion of the barrel centered about 2" forward of the fore end tip.

I think that on an oct/round barrel the octagon should extend no more than 1/4" beyond the fore end and the fore end itself should be no more than 8.5" long. That's just me.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, from your photo your barrel looks to have a straight taper. Looks very nice too! I have a 9.3 barrel that looks just like it except that when it was made the manufacturer did not leave enough shank for a wedding band. Why they made it this way I have no idea!

I was asking more to get a concensus of what people liked. I prefer the older pre-war stylings from germany with an integral rib and front sight. Especially the 1/2 oct 1/2 round barrels from that time, but sadly noone makes them that way now.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
There are a handful of guys making barrels even better than in the olden days. Ralf Martini specialized in the exact barrel style you describe and has made several for me and others who post on AR. All it takes is money.

www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a tulip at the breech like the prewar Continental 1/2 round ribbed barrels and the sidehammer Sharps and many of Steve Hughes' creations. I like the round breech tulip to be short, no more than 3/8"-1/2", with minimum stepdown from it to a straight taper ending as Forrest said, just beyond the forearm tip.

Here's a pic of the components of a high wall project, you can see the small tulip at the breech if you look closely. I haven't finished the transition or the front bbl band swivel base yet, obviously.

Here's another, closer. The round portion of this tulip is almost too short. The barrel is a Green Mountain, factory #3 oct-to-round profile.

Occasionally I'll do a wedding-ring transition at the oct-to-round and am still experimenting with various shapes. I've seen wedding rings at the muzzles of especially-fancy pieces but have never done one that way.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm still not sure that I understand the straight taper or countour thing, are we talking about the transition? if that is the case I like it countoured, the flats flowing into the round, not an abrupt stop. just IMO. I'm not home but have pics somewhere I'm sure of ones I like.

somebody on the forum did a reverse 1/2 to 1/2, the octagon being the muzzle end. it was interesting, though not my style.

I'm sure there are gunsmiths that will make your barrel however you want, integral hardware included. I imagine the cost will be on par with the work too. Smiler

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
I'm still not sure that I understand the straight taper or countour thing, are we talking about the transition?

The contour/taper definition is my own. I do not know what, say, Ralf Martini calls it. When I look at a barrel there are two ways to construct it, from the breech tulip there will be a radius to the flat. This flat can contour or remain a straight taper. I am horrible at drawing, so I cannot draw you a picture.

Speaking of the breech tulip, do you gentleman prefer a sharp tulip or a shallow tulip?

To borrow from Martini’s website:

This would be a shallow radius coming up to the breech tulip. I just realized it is also a good example of a contoured octagon barrel. Where as Mr. Lamberts barrel would appear to be a straight taper.

I do not have a picture right now of a sharp radius.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is my full octagon barrel that James Anderson is getting ready to rust blue. He also cut the octagon.

This is the Mexican previously posted above.

I don't know if this helps or not. I sure want a Martini barrel.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Lambert I have to compliment you on your choice of caliber. I saw your pictures in your other thread, certainly an exceptional rifle. I also love that rear sight mount. Exquisite!

Can I ask what the width across the flats in front of the tulip measures? and at the muzzle?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Can I ask what the width across the flats in front of the tulip measures? and at the muzzle?

.85"
.6"
Swamped between those 2 #s with a 1708" radius tangent to the 2.5" radius that forms the flower.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see no damn flower!
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
.85"
.6"
swamped between those 2 #s with a 1708" radius tangent to the 2.5" radius that forms the flower

Thank you for the informations sir! My compliments on a beautifully cut piece.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Butch I love the barrel contour on that 6.5x47L exactly as you have exacuted it. That is sweet! What is the muzzle diameter & does the round section have any taper? Can we see a side profile?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Check out the barrel in this thread. Subtelty and mastery of the round to octagonal to round.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...=0&page=0#Post165411

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
I don't have a photo of the whole barrel. James has it now for rust bluing and finishing.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple pictures of an octogon barrel I machined for a Mexican Mauser. Parts are intergal and it is tapered and swamped. This is old news to most and still is, have not had time to play with it much as work has me busy with all the overtime I want. To darn hot as Oklahoma has been under excessive heat warnings for a while. Anyway lets see if I can get em to pop up!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me like!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you ready to start on my 416 Rigby barrel?
Butch

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Dont mean to highjack this thread, but what is the going rate for work like this?
P.m.s welcomed...or e-mail at
srtraxme@yahoo.com

Fal, responded to your pm, hope it was enough to help!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested too, if people are willing to post prices.

thanks

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would be interested too, if people are willing to post prices.

+1

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote