THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    375 H&H mauser project just about done
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H mauser project just about done
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i've been working on this one off & on for around the last 6 months or so & all thats left to do is rust blue the metal, finish sand & oil the stock.
the action is a south american contract oberndorf, bolt handle & bottom metal came from sound metal products, sights are necg, safety is a dakota & the stock came from great americans bargain bin. so far i've ran about 40 rounds through it & it shoots & feeds very good.

the barrel blank was about as big as my mickey mouse lathe can handle

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle there Jim! Congrats on your efforts so far.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking good Jim.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rig! Can we see some closer pics of the action mods please?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was going to ask the same thig about action work that was done

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my camera's dead right now but i'll charge it up & take a couple of pic's of the action mods during the week.
i used a some pictures that Duane Wiebe posted as a reference when i opened the action up.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Hey Jim, You gonna rust blue it yourself? Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle!
I am thinking of a 375 for my next project.
Yes, more close up photos and when it is finished...

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it looks very nice indeed, but for some reason the stock looks a bit short for that barrel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I think it looks very nice indeed, but for some reason the stock looks a bit short for that barrel?

GEEEEZ Only you !!!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

Looks like typical British style to me.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here are few pictures of the action mods & feedramp. its not a pretty as some of the others i've seen here but it feeds good.

Lee, i'm planning on trying my hand at rust bluing on this one within the next few weeks. i still have a little bit of metalwork left to do first.
a couple more pic's. i need to fill a small pit on the bolt handle. the right side of the action is notched about 1/16" to eject live ammo, i didn't notch the top of the receiver.

the forearm is the length i want it at & it looks fine to me. i'm still undecided on adding a ebony tip, but i'm leaning against it right now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love that forearm just the way it is! Wink

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking receiver mods! That certainly looks strong enough; not weakened at all. There is plenty of meat supporting the bottom lug.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Awesome looking rifle!

I'll second Matt here and say the forend looks fine without the ebony (I'd also say it's the right length for the British stalking rifle look too). You don't need the ebony forend for the "African" look, but the red recoil pad is a must. You've already got that taken care of though, and quite tastefully I might add.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
I love that forearm just the way it is! Wink

+1
She's looking good and well on the way to being a handfull of pride.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Is the barrel a 24" or 26"? Thanks.

Posts: 462 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the barrel is 26".
when i built it the idea was to try it out at 26" & if i didn't like the way it handled i was going to shorten it to somewhere between 24-22.

i ended up liking the way it felt at 26" so i left it there.
i'm goimng to build another with a 20" barrel pretty soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My advice is start at 24". A 26" bolt action is just too cumbersome on a huting rifle. 26 works fine on a single shot hinge or Ruger #1.

I have been anxiously awaiting the outcome of the joust to see just what a shorter 375 H&H gives up, i.e 18, 20 or 22.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice styling. I could shoot that!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did you get the red recoil pad that doesn't say winchester?

Posts: 462 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nothing about it I don't like......you've a nice project going on, can't wait to see the finish work! kudos!

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryG:
Where did you get the red recoil pad that doesn't say winchester?

gary, the recoil pad is a galazan period pad
from Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Company

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kynamco (Kynock ammo) owns and sells the Silvers brand of red recoil pads if anyone is interested.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i finaly got around to rust bluing the metal, i still have to rust blue the gripcap and the ends of the recoil crossbolt.
the stock has been sealed and after i give it a few days to dry i'll start on the finish. it will get red oil.
i also have a canvas & leather sling from jeff's outfitters for it.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks good. Big Grin
If it was my rifle I would have thinned out the forend to more of a splinter configuration, just my personal preference.

The length of the fore end is spot on IMHO. tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks huntable!!! Terrific.

Love the red recoil pad. Anyone know if that is the same as this one at Numrich https://www.gunpartscorp.com/c...h.aspx?filter=272490?

I had a problem ordering from Galazan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
those pads at numrich are factory remington pads.
midway carries the same pad i used, i ordered from galazan simply because it wasn't in stock at midway at the time.

the next 375 i build will probably be a little bit lighter but this one handles real nice the way it is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it! Congrats on a good looking build!

Posts: 117 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 30 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle!
To give it a even more classic, British look you could slim down the forend some more, give it some more taper.. ?

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I wish I had more time to do more work myself.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the comments on the rifle. i think i am going to thin the forearm down just a little bit to give it some more taper.
i got more time than money so i usually have to do the work myself, the only thing i'm going to farm out is the checkering

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I used Ahlman's last fall. Quick and affordable.

http://www.ahlmans.com/checkering.html

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it! Encouraging to see someone tackling barrel work on a 9x20 lathe. I've got one myself, but haven't done a lot with it yet. What kind of bolt handle is that?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll more than likely use Ahlman's for the checkering.
i've threaded a few barrels on my 9x20 & its a pain on that little lathe. it doesn't have a slow enough speed for me to thread up to a shoulder so i usualy run it in reverse and thread towards the tail stock. the belt drive also uses to small of a belt to take a decent cut with so i end up taking a lot longer than i did when i had access to 13 & 15" lathes.

the bolt handle is a oberndorf from Duane Wiebe