New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Work
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Happened into a CZ 550 in 9.3. My first 9.3 and CZ. I am hoping to build this into "Dad's gun" my boys have a HiTech stocked custom model7 ultralight. I have a Kahles CSX scope for it and am thinking of doing the NECG express sights and barrel swivel. Anyway, I am hoping this will be my gun to carry for the rest of my hopefully long hunting career. It came with a second highly figured stock selected by CZ. The one on there now looks like a piece of plywood. It has a terrible lacquer/epoxy style finish that needs to go to show off all the figure. I would like the excuse for a cheek piece reshaped into a shadowline and then a nice but not over the top checkering redo. Something wrap around since I like to ride the tang so to speak. I do like the fluer style as well and maybe a slight cast on to help with the recoil however light it might be. Future projects will mostly likely include some engraving but minimal. I plan to abuse it so nothing to fancy but want it to wear in style. I am hoping a pillar bed job will work well in walnut. I have only had one walnut stock years ago and sorry to say I abused it. I did have a truwood stock on a custom Icon I liked a lot. If you guys could recommend someone to do the work I would appreciate it. I am somewhat skilled at wood working but more furniture and cabinets and less small details. I have debated doing the solder regulating work myself as I am certified to solder up to and including space addendum through the old Mil Spec ( Now IPC ) but ultimately trying to do it all myself is mistake and I want it done right. I am going to contact AHR unless someone here can do it all. I am trying to keep in under control because I plan to drag it from the swamps of SC, the mountains of AK, and everything in between. No point in spending 2K on wood and metal work just to beat it up. The idea of using the current stock and displaying in the better stock crossed my mind but I like a rifle to use not look at. Maybe having it rechecked is a waste of money for what I want to do but I have this romantic idea I can carry it for the next 40 years or more lord willing and at least enjoy the style. Also, if someone could recommend a few good rounds to try. I received 5 boxes of Winchester with the rifle and two stocks. Funny thing is I am the fourth owner ad it is unfired. I have shot up to a 338 LM and30-378 in an ultralight so I am hoping I won't have problems shooting this gun. When it is being finished I am thinking of having a slight cast on done as well to help get back on target quicker. Maybe a 375 would have been a better do it all rifle but I have wanted to try a 9.3 for a few years and went through the magnumitis phase as well. If I can get it with the mountain rifle then this is my go to I hope. Anyway, I am long winded but thank you for any advice.

Posts: 193 | Location: Raleigh,NC | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am also thinking either a well weathered bluing or maybe some type of case hardening in a brown finish would be nice. I don't care for a high luster bluing for some reason. I loved the finish or lack of on my FIL's 32 WCF Winchester lever gun. It had a silver color which I assumed was lack of bluing but maybe I need to earn that finishSmiler At any rate it is going into the swamp on a DIY Boar hunt very soon. I hope the bad leg I healed enough to cover 6-8 miles in the swamp without hitting a sinkhole or getting grabbed by a gator. The tough thing is I killed an 11 footer right near there.

Posts: 193 | Location: Raleigh,NC | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Wayne at AHR is great to work with. You could do the CZ Upgrade #2 which will get you the swivel, new sights, glass bedding, etc. That will not get you a reshaped or re-checkered stock though.

A 9.3 is not a .375 but will cover almost all of the same ground.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote