Find
Notify
Tools

Reto Buehler podcasts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.buehlercsa.com/

Reto Buehler Has a series of custom gunmaking podcasts going on over on his website.

He talks to some of the well known gunsmiths about their work.

Posts: 160 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have listened to all of them while driving. I enjoyed them quite a bit. I hope he keeps doing it.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good podcasts. Glad to see you are in Oklahoma now Reto.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reto has added interviews with London trained stockmaker Paul Hodgins and myself, Steven Dodd Hughes.
https://open.spotify.com/show/08i5aFjWnKACOG3bWCcJXD

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunsmithing school classmate Steven Dodd Hughes sent me a link to his interview with Reto, it was very interesting and informative. Looking forward to listening of Reto's interviews of other gunmakers.

Posts: 384 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane Wiebe has been added to the podcast.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
That Lee Hegland 400 H&H he has for sale on his site is a beaut. Not crazy about the caliber but it does come with 3 boxes of ammo so you have cases for awhile...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Had the opportunity to listen to two of these podcasts today on an airline flight. These are a treasure. They are interesting and become a superb oral history of some of the greatest craftsmen of our times. Kudos to Reto Buehler for taking this on. Highly recommended.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Listened to Duane's and SDH's interviews with Reto, halfway through Darcy's, an excellent overview of these gunmakers and how they got started plus the ups and downs of the custom gun biz. As Mike pointed out they are a treasure and well worth listening to. Enjoying them immensely...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A tidbit about REto taken from a story about Rigby shotguns in the 4th issue of Volume 11 of the Double Gun., dated 2000.

""Geoff led the way out of the office and up a flight of stairs. In the first room we entered, James Tucker, past president of the ACGG was working on the for end of the new Rigby single shot rifle. In the next room I was introduced to RETO BUEHLER. Reto is a Swiss actioner that apprenticed in Europe in the art of fine tuning actions. Reto is so good, and so specialized in this work, that he qualified for an OM1 visa, normally reserved for a concert violinist or a nuclear physicist. . . .

What is a "Swiss" actioner? Does that mean he is from Switzerland, or that he works on Swiss actions.

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
He is from Switzerland but now lives in the US and is a US citizen.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reto built a fantastic 404 Jeffery rifle for me on a extended small ring GM Mauser 98 action. I consider it near museum-quality - but it worked for me with 2 buffalo bulls and a large bull eland in Tanzania.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Actioner" means Reto was trained to create rifle and shotgun actions from forgings. Mainly break-open actions but he was trained in advanced metalsmithing.

On his website the photo rifle with each of the podcasts is a single shot rifle with a break-open action that Reto made entirely from bar stock and a rifled barrel blank. I consider it to be one of the finest rifle projects done entirely in America in recent history. I wish there were more pics of the rifle.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I got to work with Reto for a little while many years ago when he first got to the USA. He's a great guy and is passionate and knowledgeable about gunsmithing on a different level.
One of the first times he really earned our respect was on a big double rifle that was essentially finished and the client was on his way to pick it up. The client was flying in first thing in the morning and we just had to assemble the last parts that had just returned from being case-colored. We'd seen that the locking bolt had come back in the shipment, but somehow late in the day it disappeared in the shop. With all hands-on deck, turning the shop upside down, we finally decided it must have been accidently discarded.
Reto said he would figure it out. He stayed up much of the night, with a block of steel, some files, maybe some milling, his amazing skill and patience, and he had a beautifully hand fitted & finished new locking bolt for that rifle by early the next morning. The client picked it up, shot it, was thrilled and flew home. I don't think there are many people that could have pulled off making that part from scratch in such a short time-frame, much less on a completely finished, case-colored and engraved action without damaging it.
He's all class - a terrific gunsmith and a great human.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kyler, an amazing story. These guys are true artists that have chosen firearms as a medium.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I love Reto's podcasts.

They remind me of the late Michael Petrov's books on the finest American custom gunmakers of the early 20th century.

Reto's podcasts give us a glimpse into the lives and businesses of the talented men who build our custom guns nowadays, in the early 21st century.

I think these men are as good as or better than their forebears.

I also find these podcasts to be not only informative, but also immensely entertaining besides. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Anyone else not able to find the Turnbull episode anymore?

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not see it listed either.