THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    22 Low Wall Coming to life shortly!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Low Wall Coming to life shortly!
 Login/Join

posted
I have been on the list for 2 years, the time has come! Mike Lewis has started my .22 and I am counting the days. Here are pic's of the parts. It will wear a #3 profile full oct barrel 28" long. I has SHilen hand lap the barrel before shipping.

Best, David B

Winchesters Rule!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT project, David! I like low walls (high walls too) and am seemingly always building at least 1 or 2 in various chamberings.

You WILL have one problem however. The #3 contour is just slightly too large for the sides of your flat-side low wall frame as shown in the photo. The very earliest (1880s) and latest (1920s) low walls had flared sides that were slightly wider, actually as wide as a high wall, but yours appears to be the more common flat-side configuration with the narrower forearm flanges that will interfere with a #3 barrel.

There are several ways of handling this, you and/or your smith can PM me and I'll be happy to tell you what I've found over the years.

AAMOF IMO there are a number of things that most wall actions require before they're suitable for a nice custom. I call it 'blueprinting' but that's a debatable definition.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JD

Thanks for the reply!

Mike Lewis is quite accomplished as a single shot smith. Howsumever, no one knows all! If a #3 won't "fit" on the sides/flats, then I will PM u promptly! I am so looking forward to a decent single shot squirrel rifle, as well as Target rifle.

Best, David B

Winchesters Rule!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barvid,

Nice wood! I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

I have a small Martini with a #2 Shileh lapped barrel in the works with Curt Hardcastle, and am beginning to get itchy for it, too!

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote