THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    A born again .30-06 Springfield.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A born again .30-06 Springfield.
 Login/Join

posted
Or ‘silk purse from a sow’s ear’!

Given a little imagination, patience, basic practical skills and access to a simple work bench and hand tools much can be achieved by an enthusiastic rifle owner.

When completed and used successfully this personal input can give immense satisfaction, knowing that you have a rifle that is personal to you that is largely as a result of your own efforts. Despite 36 years at the bespoke end of the English gun trade I still derive great pleasure from the restoration and altering of what started life as a very basic rifle. The pleasure was enhanced by the knowledge that this one was done on behalf of a very good friend of mine and the rifle would see extensive use ‘on the hill’, it’s no ‘range queen’!

Although this project was a restoration it involved a lot more time and effort than a typical ‘stainless/synthetic ‘ build. John D., a good friend of mine, has always appreciated classic rifles by makers such as H&H and Rigby’s in the UK and companies like Hoffman Arms and Griffin & Howe in the US. Unfortunately such rifles in acceptable condition command premium prices.

A while back John was able to acquire at auction a rather rough ‘home built’ Springfield sporter in .30-06 built on a 1903 Mark 1 action that has the slot in the left receiver wall for the Pedersen device. The bore was a bit dark and the rifle was fitted with a rather bashed Redfield scope in sheet steel Weaver rings. The whole lot had literally been dropped into a ‘fifties Herters mail order stock that fitted where it touched.

We tightened up all the screws and headed for the range, after trying a selection of ammo we were able to achieve 3 shot groups of around 1.5 MOA with Federal Premium loads. Although not brilliant, I reckoned it was worth a gamble to restore the rifle; with a commercial trigger, new scope, mounts and a bedding job the accuracy would improve.

The more I looked at the woodwork I began to realise that there was an elegant stock struggling to get out. After an initial slimming down I fitted a recoil bar and glass bedded the metalwork.

After this I ‘made-off’ (shaped up) the stock to include an ebony forend tip, detailing around the bolt stop, ejection port and at the rear of the pistol grip. I then fitted a steel grip cap and a Silvers recoil pad with heel spur.

I next turned my attention to the oval. I filed up an oval from ebony and let it into the stock, then I got an old coin and bent it to shape over a former (a length of old barrel). A Letraset letter ‘D’ was then applied and everything not covered by the initial was drilled and filed away. The initial was then let in to the ebony oval and the whole lot was made off flush.

I then chequered the stock with an extensive multi-point pattern at 20 lines per inch. As the stock was basic grade American black walnut it was unlikely that it could have taken finer chequering. The stock was then given a Best Quality hand rubbed ‘London oil finish’.

Metalwork-wise I fitted new receiver screws, a Q/D button on the floorplate, Timney trigger, a low ‘scope safe on the bolt shroud, an original Lyman sporting peepsight on the bolt, a new classic bolt knob and a set of (now discontinued) Warne Premier Q/D rings and bases. The scope is an old model Schmidt & Bender 6x42.

The barrel was ‘struck off’ to remove rivels and all metalwork was hand polished. Martin Smith (ex Purdey’s) engraved the recoil bar and grip cap and inlaid the gold in the floorplate and trigger guard. The bolt, grip cap and recoil bar were colour case hardened by Ray St. Ledger and all rust blueing and blacking was done by Johnsons who are ‘barrel browners’ to the London gun trade.

After the re-build we were comfortably able to achieve sub moa groups with factory ammo. The owner is a happy man, just as well as he is my workshop landlord!

A good day in Argyll

I hope the above, including the before and after pictures is of interest to readers.

Alan

Posts: 14 | Location: Surrey, UK. | Registered: 26 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Wow. That is impressive work.
I'll never again look at old B-grade custom efforts in the same way. You certainly found the inner beauty in that one.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Very nice transformation!

Its hard to beat a springfield thats been gone over.

Welcome to AR by the way and a nice first post.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job, nothing quite has the class of a well executed 03'

R.F. Sedgley Deluxe 400 Whelen.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where is a picture of your "Magic Wand" ? Smiler

What a great job you've done on an old beater.

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great job! Very unique treatment of the magazine cutoff area.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
has the H&H style ,,very well done ive probably owned 15 different springfield sporters , i like them ...paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the work a lot. Do you ever worry that you're going to get speared in the nose by that bolt peep?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2144 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thats a dang good looking sows ear.. I love the color case hardened bolt, that is a unique look. Very nice, thanks for sharing.. tu2

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Truly transformed into a memorable Springfield. Where on earth did you find that bolt peep?

45-70, that is just a hell of a Sedgley you have there!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hal H:
Where is a picture of your "Magic Wand" ? Smiler

What a great job you've done on an old beater.

Hal

HI Hal,

Thanks for your comments. No magic wand I'm afraid, just 36 years experience and a bit of imagination.

Alan

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL J.A.:
has the H&H style ,,very well done ive probably owned 15 different springfield sporters , i like them ...paul

Hi Paul,

Well spotted Sir! I did my apprenticeship with H&H and worked for them for 10 years. I guess a little of the magic rubbed off!

Alan

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
I like the work a lot. Do you ever worry that you're going to get speared in the nose by that bolt peep?

Hi,

That's the beauty of a bolt mounted peep, at the moment of firing and immediately before recoil the sight moves away from your face,

Alan

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Truly transformed into a memorable Springfield. Where on earth did you find that bolt peep?

45-70, that is just a hell of a Sedgley you have there!

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your interest. If I remember correctly the sight came from Nick Stroebel in the Oregon, US,

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent job and first post.Welcome Sir!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
Excellent job and first post.Welcome Sir!!!! Big Grin

Thanks to you (and everyone else) for your warm welcome,

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous vision and execution! So much refinement, leaves me wondering why the trigger was left unmolested?

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nomo4me:
Gorgeous vision and execution! So much refinement, leaves me wondering why the trigger was left unmolested?

Hi,

I used a Timney trigger, the only one available in the UK to fit the '03. The owner wanted the shape left 'as is' but it was polished and reblacked anyway,

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, no matter. We can see what you'd have done with that blade had you been given the chance.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan_Wey_&_Co:
quote:
Originally posted by Nomo4me:

Hi,

I used a Timney trigger, the only one available in the UK to fit the '03. The owner wanted the shape left 'as is' but it was polished and reblacked anyway,

Alan

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silvertip1:
Lovely work! I think the trigger could be thinned down and refined a bit.

Please tell us about the Loch and Wey custom actions.

Hi,

For details of the trigger please refer to an earlier post of mine. The Loch & Wey actions are running about two years behind schedule, too much work and not enough time! We hope to have the first model available sometime later this year. It will be the first of four different designs that we hope to have available along with assorted accessories such as trigger guards etc. The reason for four different designs is to cater for the different needs of hunters, 'tactical' and long range shooters. I do not believe in a 'one size fits all' policy. Computer modelling, stress analysis and prototype machining is being done at the moment,

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
alan,,yes i picked up the holland style thru the grip ,chinstrap,checkering layout etc,,i went to your site but didnt see any bolt rifles stocked in wood ,,do you have a gallery ? this springfield is one of the best transformations ive seen using an existing wood....paul

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
You, sir, are an artist! Great work!

Restoration, transformation and salvation, all in one. tu2

Thanks for posting.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I began to realise that there was an elegant stock struggling to get out.

There certainly was! Very nice job!

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Mr Wey

Absolutely gorgeous

Where have you been all these years ?

Will be be showing your creations at the SCI show or IWA ?

I look forward to discussing with you my next commission

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
alan,,yes i picked up the holland style thru the grip ,chinstrap,checkering layout etc,,i went to your site but didnt see any bolt rifles stocked in wood ,,do you have a gallery ? this springfield is one of the best transformations ive seen using an existing wood....paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your comments. I will try and get some more photos up on my website, usual problem, too much work, not enough time!

Alan

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by londonhunter:
Mr Wey

Absolutely gorgeous

Where have you been all these years ?

Will be be showing your creations at the SCI show or IWA ?

I look forward to discussing with you my next commission

Hi London Hunter,

Where have I been? Lurking in anonimity in the London guntrade for over 30 years! You've probably seen my work under another name in a West End showroom or at auction without realising it. Please feel free to contact me if you wish,

Alan

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I have Alan

I have been doing some checking

You are well known in the London scene

In fact I think I have bought your creations from auctions in the past

Nice to put a name to the proof mark finally

Show us more of your work

I am thinking of a stutzen in best London tradition

You interested

Shall we talk about it over tea at the Dorchester ?

PM ME if you are interested

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE!like the chin strap.need to find a K Mauser!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

i have a feeling this 244 may have been one of your projects,,paul

posted Hide Post
quote:

i have a feeling this 244 may have been one of your projects,,paul

Hi Paul,

I wish I could confirm that but it does not ring any bells. Very Hollands' in the fifties type wood and a nice cheekpiece,

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan_Wey_&_Co:
Or ‘silk purse from a sow’s ear’!

I hope the above, including the before and after pictures is of interest to readers.

Alan

Very well done, indeed, although I am having a bit of difficulty understanding why such prominent treatment was given to that useless feature, the magazine cut-off.

I can think of no circumstance where it would serve any useful purpose for the cut-off to be turned down to the "OFF" position, unless rapid fire practice was desirable, in which case the floorplate, follower spring and follower could easily be removed and replaced afterwards.

A more effective form of rapid fire practice would involve the use of dummy cartridges, which would be more useful than simply "dry firing" on an empty chamber.

posted Hide Post
Hi,

The stock treatment around the bolt stop/magazine cut off is simply because the customer asked for it,

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, I should have thought of that. Chacun à son goût.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do love a well done Springfield. I'm particularly pleased to see one get such nice treatment by a "London" gunsmith. A nice change from the usual Mauser.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Liles:
I do love a well done Springfield. I'm particularly pleased to see one get such nice treatment by a "London" gunsmith. A nice change from the usual Mauser.

Jerry Liles

I'm glad you liked it, as you say, it makes a change from all those Mausers. I have a couple of 03's stashed away in case any other Englishman knows what a Springfield is and fancies a classic,

Alan

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Alan

Now this is an offer difficult to pass on ....