New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clayton Nelson rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My dad bought this rifle last fall, and I finally got around to getting some pictures of it to put on here. It is 7x57 built on a Pre-64 Model 70 action with an octagon barrel with integral quarter rib, sling point and front sight base.

Posts: 291 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! We're pretty proud of that rifle.

Posts: 291 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful rifle. I have a Brevex 338/378KT made by Clayton when he was the smith at Champlin & Haskins. There was a lot of bull written here a couple years ago about some of his work but IMO it is first class.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
octagon barrel with integral quarter rib, sling point and front sight base.

not to mention Ted Blackburn's bottom metal. And gorgeous wood.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
That's a beautiful rifle. I have a Brevex 338/378KT made by Clayton when he was the smith at Champlin & Haskins. There was a lot of bull written here a couple years ago about some of his work but IMO it is first class.

I believe this one was made while he was at Champlin too. When George Caswell saw it at the show we bought it at he said it was one of his barrels. I have heard some things about him as well, but have to agree that his work is top notch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. That is some serious eye candy there!

Posts: 34 | Location: Volant PA | Registered: 01 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,I am probably one of the authors of the "bull" about Clayton.Clayton COULD make superb rifles!I had a M70 22-250(in '74 Gun Digest)that shot .25MOA@200yds with 70's quality bullets.However his quality varied with the creditors&his other demons and by late 70's early 80's lamentably had slipped ,noted by many at the HGS. His good stuff was great,some was not.Pity!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Brown, That is a beautiful rifle!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Mr. Brown, That is a beautiful rifle!

Thank you sir.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That thing is stunningly beautiful and the ribboned fleur de lis is pleasantly unique.
Thanks for sharing
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's about as good as it gets

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's amazingly accurate as well, with the 140 gr Gameking load we worked up for it shooting consistently under 3/4 moa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle in every sense of the word!

It compares favorably with my Al Biesen 7X57 on a pre-War Model 70 action currently on consignment with Pendleton Firearms:

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100709717

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
Beautiful rifle in every sense of the word!

It compares favorably with my Al Biesen 7X57 on a pre-War Model 70 action currently on consignment with Pendleton Firearms:

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100709717

Thanks! I've looked at that rifle of yours on there several times, and it is beautiful. If I had the extra funds right now it would be mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I attended one of Clayton's stock making classes two years ago. I don't think his talent has slipped any at all. He showed us many projects both completed and at various stages of completion that displayed gunmaker guild quality. Consider too he is approximately 83 years old now.

He is known for his stock making, over 800, but is just as talented with metal as well. He is a very good instructor. I learned a great deal from him. Another student and myself wanted to keep working that week end but the school wouldn't consent to it for insurance reasons, so Clayton graciously opened his shop at home for us to keep working on our stocks.

He is very fast too. There is a video of him inletting and shaping a blank for a model 70 with milling machine, chisels and files in one day.

Craftsman

Posts: 1534 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thats a damn fine rifle...I get weak in the knees with that kind of metal work. Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
I attended one of Clayton's stock making classes two years ago. I don't think his talent has slipped any at all. He showed us many projects both completed and at various stages of completion that displayed gunmaker guild quality. Consider too he is approximately 83 years old now.

He is known for his stock making, over 800, but is just as talented with metal as well. He is a very good instructor. I learned a great deal from him. Another student and myself wanted to keep working that week end but the school wouldn't consent to it for insurance reasons, so Clayton graciously opened his shop at home for us to keep working on our stocks.

He is very fast too. There is a video of him inletting and shaping a blank for a model 70 with milling machine, chisels and files in one day.

That would be a fun class to go to. Where could I find this video?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Thats a damn fine rifle...I get weak in the knees with that kind of metal work. Enjoy!

Thanks!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
He made this too, a 600NE:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JM Brown, PM sent.

Craftsman

Posts: 1534 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle in a great caliber!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. Very nice work!

Posts: 113 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 23 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very classy and well apportioned rifle, and in one of my favorite calibers. I hope you get to hunt this one and enjoy the take.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
Very classy and well apportioned rifle, and in one of my favorite calibers. I hope you get to hunt this one and enjoy the take.

Thanks! It did get hunted some this last year but didn't get to take anything with it. Hopefully it will get to take something this year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, I am so glad that your posted pictures of the rifle. I enjoyed it so much the years I had it and am glad it went to a worthy home. I would love to see your dad hit a great Oklahoma deer with it this year. How are you doing with your rifle?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the pictures. How are you doing with your rifle?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:
So, I am so glad that your posted pictures of the rifle. I enjoyed it so much the years I had it and am glad it went to a worthy home. I would love to see your dad hit a great Oklahoma deer with it this year. How are you doing with your rifle?

Hi Leonard! Hopefully dad will get to take a deer with it this year. My 7x57 is doing great. I've worked up a great load for it with some 150 Gamekings that makes nice little groups every time. I did a post on it not too long ago on here as well titled New Custom Mauser, trying to find info on who made it. I think it may have been made by Paul Jaeger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did my best to identify it, however, even those that are very knowledgeable were not certain. The price reflected is features not its pedigree. If you do find out please let me know so I can include it in my archives.

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:
I did my best to identify it, however, even those that are very knowledgeable were not certain. The price reflected is features not its pedigree. If you do find out please let me know so I can include it in my archives.

Ya, I'm not completely certain that is a Jaeger rifle, but regardless it is a beautiful rifle in the classic style and the caliber I was wanting.
We need to get together and shoot some time when it cools off again. Dad and I would still also like to come down sometime and see more of your collection and share hunting stories as well.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I normally only look at rifles with two barrels, but the one in the OP is one of the finest looking rifles I've seen. Wood, metal, the octagon barrel, et. al. This rifle has it all.

I get tired of looking at custom rifles or "custom shop" rifles that have a CNC machined action and a plastic stock. They have absolutely no hand craftsmanship at all. Granted, they may be more accurate than any shooter can shoot, but there is no skill in their making. The one shown here is absolute perfection.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I normally only look at rifles with two barrels, but the one in the OP is one of the finest looking rifles I've seen. Wood, metal, the octagon barrel, et. al. This rifle has it all.

I get tired of looking at custom rifles or "custom shop" rifles that have a CNC machined action and a plastic stock. They have absolutely no hand craftsmanship at all. Granted, they may be more accurate than any shooter can shoot, but there is no skill in their making. The one shown here is absolute perfection.
Cal

Cal,

I agree completely. Give me really nice wood and great craftsmanship, then you have a real rifle or shotgun. Both examples on this thread meet my threshold for outstanding guns.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cal and MDSTEWART.

one of us
posted Hide Post
very nice!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a time, years ago, when I had a minor run-in with Clayton... it was resolved to both our satisfaction.

That aside, there is no denying his talent. He is a lot better than many of the guild members at making a stock look just right. If the stock has less than perfect proportions, you can add all the bells and whistles in the world and you still need a better stock.

Just my opinion... this gun is wonderful.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Hows the lettering set up ...or...look on the barrel? Would like to see a couple pictures. Looking to see how smiths signed there work.Thanks!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Hows the lettering set up ...or...look on the barrel? Would like to see a couple pictures. Looking to see how smiths signed there work.Thanks!

This one actually isn't signed by Clayton. The only barrel marking is just the caliber.