Find
Notify
Tools

Printing Money
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted
It today's world all you need is a few mouse clicks and presto chango, anyone can make a CNC spit out $100 bills by the truck load.

Well.... Maybe it takes a little more time and work than a few mouse clicks. diggin

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, plus 60K for the CNC, tooling, programming, etc. Then sell 'em for $35.00/pair to an extremely limited customer base. You'll be rolling in dough in no time.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Don't forget you have to provide screws as well. I made these swivels when none were available and would rather sell them on a complete custom rifle than spend an hour or more answering emails, phone calls, packing and shipping etc. If you have a screw machine and the time to set it up, you could make $$ on the screws if you made a run of 20,000 or so. Try calling around and getting quotes for a bag of 200 screws for these.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Haha!

Take your pick. From $25 to $38 apiece.

NECG

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always like watching good machine work.

What's the total run time on a patch of 4

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How many screws do you want in short runs ?

I just heat treated about 350 of them.

The current screw I have has the followings dims.

Head OD .217"
Shank OD .155"
Threads #7 x 24 x .625 long under head
Head thickness from underneath to top outside edge .095", plus dome
Slot width .028"
Mild Steel, carburized .015" - .018" deep
Tempered 2 hrs @ 700 DF
RC 42 - 45

The Dressel, and McFarland, small screws have a slightly taller flat topped head, but the Dims are the same, just different steel

When I have some time I will do a run using 1/4" hex stock and make a single flute tap to match these screws

J Wisner

Posts: 1429 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I've got screws for these.

video is pretty much shortened for 2 bases. manual toolchanges not included

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
That's pretty nice James. I like the way the tool arcs into and out of the cut. Did you create the program with Fusion 360?
If you are selling your swivels I would be interested in 4 or 5 sets i'm almost out.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Relly nice design!!!

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very cool, thanks for posting.

I know you won't get rich doing it but I'm glad that there are still craftsman willing to put their skills to use for their clients.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work with the fixtures.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
It today's world all you need is a few mouse clicks and presto chango, anyone can make a CNC spit out $100 bills by the truck load.

Well.... Maybe it takes a little more time and work than a few mouse clicks. diggin
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zcrGm06OvzM" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

As always James, very top quality work.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I recently overheard someone ask gunmaker if he ever had difficulty finding parts. Unsuprisingly he answered, "If I need a part, I just make it"

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Awesome James. Well made!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A real pleasure to see what craftsmen are still producing. WELL DONE SIR!

Posts: 352 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote