THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Mastery of Wood & Metal, David Miller Co.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mastery of Wood & Metal, David Miller Co.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys,

Hope Saeed doesn't mind and if he does, I'll pull this thread. Back in 2005, Safari Club International published a book of mine with the title, Mastery of Wood & Metal, David Miller Co. The book was released at the SCI Convention in January 2006. At the time they contracted with me on the book, SCI, or at least parts of SCI,envisioned getting into the book publishing business. Between then, and the release of the book, they changed their minds and decided that they didn't want to be in the book publishing business. Consequently, they did nothing to promote the book and their idea of selling it was to publish an 800 number in a SCI publication or two and wait for a phone call. Needless to say, very few folks ever heard of the book, let alone seen a copy. That is very unfortunate as, if I must say so myself, it is a hell of a good book on the building of custom rifles.

I've had a number of inquiries about the book. How the inquirers even found out about it is a mystery to me. Anyway, after three or four years, I managed to get my copyright back from SCI , and went looking for another publisher to reprint the book. I found one with Krause Publications.

The SCI published book sold for $70.00. The Krause published version will sell for $59.95. However, the book is currently available from Krause for a very nice discount off that price. It is presently selling for $37.97. Amazon is running the same special although I don't think that Amazon has books yet.

For those that contacted me and anyone else that might be interested, check the Krause Publications website or Amazon for details.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I never have enough reference material.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Can we get a link for those of us that aren't familar with amazon or krouse?
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I bought my copy at the Riviera show in 2006. Very interesting book and full of color photos of finished rifles and works in progress in the shop

Thanks for the autograph.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Thankyou, I just bought my copy. Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite rifle book bar none. I've read it again and again. I would highly recommend it!

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an excellent book. I highly recommend it for content and photography.

Tom
I have an original copy from Reno in 2006 that you, David and Curt signed for me.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J Bennett,

Hang onto that original copy. Last time I checked those SCI published copies were going for around $200 per copy. Wish I could have sold a few for that.

TT

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Winner, winner, chicken dinner
When you combine Toms photographic and writing talent with David Miller's and Curt Crum's rifle building skills how can you loose?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! I paid... somewhat more than the original $80 if I remember right for my copy. It was well worth it at that price. For $40, I may buy a second copy to... thumb through.

If you do not have a copy, you would do yourself well and purchase a copy.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1479 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mr. Turpin for the heads up...got one comeing! I have two of the other copies and wanted this one.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know that the book is out. I received my copies this afternoon via FEDEX.

At first glance it looks just fine. I have not had the opportunity as yet to go through it page by page, and line by line. That will take awhile.

Hope everyone enjoys it.

TT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tsquare2 I acquired both of you're books a few years ago. The above mentioned and the Modern Custom gun. I thoroughly enjoyed reading both of them. They are full of knowledge, wisdom and eye candy. I hope a third book is on the way. Hint hint! I highly recommend them to any rifle loony. It was a pleasure to read and view the Fine craftsmanship displayed by American gunsmiths.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mlfguns,

You missed one. Custom Firearms Engraving came out a couple years or so after Modern Custom Guns. It has been out-of-print for several years now and copies are hard to find. I've been looking for a copy for a friend of mine for a couple years now. However, when I do find one available, the collector's pricing is too high for me.

Many thanks for all your nice words. I appreciate them greatly.

TT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought you guys might like to see a comparison photo of the two versions of the book, side-by-side. On the left is the original book as published by SCI, and on the right, the newly published version by Krause Publications.

TT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tsquare2
Thank you for setting me straight. I'am on the hunt for a copy and if I find an extra one consider it yours.
458WIN if you see fit to throw us a chicken bone instead of dinner in the form of a book every once in a while. All of us rifle loonies will be mighty obliged. My fingers are itching to lock the gate, tune the world out and delve into the world of hunting and it's ancillary unobstructed. Best wishes to all of you.
Charles

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the originals. I have studied it in detail and there is a great deal of information here. Photography is first rate. A rare look inside of David Miller's shop. On the back of mine it states published 2005.

Craftsman

Posts: 1534 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.
I had my girlfriend order the book on Saturday. Amazon sent me an email today telling me my book had shipped.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived today. It looks to be well worth the modest cost. I barely flipped through it and already found a cool trick or 2.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never knew this book hadn't been marketed very well.......even without the marketing I managed to aquire a copy a couple of years ago and get it shipped to New Zealand.
I also have Tom's other books, Modern Custom Guns and Custom Firearms Engraving........sorry Tom you can't have it back.
Thanks for the information about the book I need a copy for a friend so will order a couple.
Kiwi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived today. Well worth the money .

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate your positive comments.

TT

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Got it and finished it...nice! Now when is the next one due out?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this one sells well enough to suit the publisher, we'll have another out perhaps next year. I'm willing.

TT

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
I got my copy yesterday and Wow, what a book it is. Very nice. Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another? With David Miller, or on another subject?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The next one will probably be an updated version of Modern Custom Guns, with an all new cast of players. At least, that's what I've proposed to the publisher. There are a lot of talented artisans out there that weren't covered in the first edition, and a lot of new talent that were not practicing their craft when that book came out. There's plenty of material for a new edition of the book.

Again, this is only a proposal. Nothing has been decided at this stage.

TT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tsquare2 in your book you have pictures of the Crandell Tool and Machine Co. left handed actions what became of them ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mlfguns,

I have no idea. I tried looking them up on Google and got basically nowhere. Haven't heard of them in a long time.

TT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tsquare2 Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got my copy from amazon in today. shame it isn't signed with a nice note from the author like my SCI edition dancing

Now I have a "work" edition. One to flip through without being worried about the edges of the pages and the cover and what not.

Lots of GREAT information!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1479 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Just wanted to thank you once again. I received a report yesterday from the publisher that Amazon has upgraded their projected sales of the book substantially, based upon sales so far. That is very good news. That means that my proposal to do a new edition of Modern Custom Guns, with substantial new material featuring lots of "new" talent, has a good chance of being approved. There is a long way to go yet, but the first step is a positive one.

Without the support of you guys, that would not have happened. Many, many thanks.

TT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great book Tom just got my copy today can hardly wait till you do another Custom Gun book beer

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I couldn't wait, I'm out of town, ordered the Kindle edition--absolutely worth every penny! If you love rifles, a must have.

GF

Posts: 12 | Location: Where the Quabog flows | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ordered one on amazon as well

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The book just arrived in Hermany, very nice reading and I really enjoyed the technical aspects. Thank you!

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote