New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x 64
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Customer wanted a "No B.S." hunting rifle for upcoming African Hunt."  He came into a carload of brass...so...good reason to build a rifle.  This is based on a VG 47. Wiebe 2M bottom metal / follower fit "just right" with four down.  The barrel is Lothar-Walther.   During test firing, I was  impressed by quite mild recoil....later found out these were about  "95%" max loads...Pretty wood! Huh?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice, I really like the lack of an ebony tip in this case.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Damn I like that rifle... haven't got another just like her stuck away somewhere?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle, and I like the metal checkering.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice as always Duane

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I especially like the sights and the metal checkering.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely awesome.

Well done.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Great looking stock on a super barreled action.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!
One of my favorite cartridges. Had wonderful results with it on African game, and good medicine on Norwegian moose(with 285grs Woodleigh rn)
Really like your style, Mr Wiebe. My gunsmith Per A Vågsland here in Norway also favours the British "Rigby" classic style. Here's the 9,3x64 he built for me on a good M98 action;

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So a 2M is what I need for a 9.3x64, great!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1481 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Great looking stock on a super barreled action.

Coming from you, that's the highest compliment for Duane. The rear sight blade is the only part that came from the original barrel. The front sight is a replica by Duane's hands. It's so good he should be Chinese.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard of a vz-33 before, but never a vg-47. Was that a number Mauser used for their commercial actions?

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It's a typo. The action is a ZG 47.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle and calibre in every way.
This is a friends. Very similar in 9.3x64;

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The forearm tip without the ebony looks very nice.If one can get results as good as this without the ebony tip then,it should be done more often,IMO.The whole forearm shape is a success-to me,it looks close to an original Rigby(more than any other custom makers).

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metric:
Very nice!
One of my favorite cartridges. Had wonderful results with it on African game, and good medicine on Norwegian moose(with 285grs Woodleigh rn)
Really like your style, Mr Wiebe. My gunsmith Per A Vågsland here in Norway also favours the British "Rigby" classic style. Here's the 9,3x64 he built for me on a good M98 action;

M
Nice color pattern on that stcok!!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
ForrestB, it did fool me at first but I could tell the barrel fittings aren't totally original. I'm glad you/he decided to replicate the sights, they are hard to beat and come up just right. Is the bolt handle and safety original?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks great....simple & classic. I also like the "checkering" treatment on the sight flats.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Mwindaji
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous! Your rifles are probably my favourites.

Posts: 13 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

I keep coming back to this rifle again and again. I hope someday my metal work is worthy of one of your stocks! They are really splendid.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1481 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Is the bolt handle and safety original?

No. The bolt handle is a bit too long and skinny for my taste so it was replaced. The safety was replaced with a Wisner 3-position safety. I love the original Brno safety but I want all my safeties to be the same on my DG rifles. Duane has spent some time looking at a way modify the Brno safety to make it "forward-to-fire"...but no luck there. He's also thought about making new ones on the Brno design that would be forward-to-fire. Duane can elaborate on why they work so well. All I know is they are rock-solid and super smooth.

Silvertip, the stock blank came from Luxus Walnut. Great guys with good wood. (Second hand information Smiler )

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle,,great caliber,,sure would be a brown bear thumper!!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great work and really like the choice of caliber. Very nice in all respects.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful and functional rifle! It doesn't take much to push us to another rifle, a bunch of brass, a nice receiver, a scope, or maybe even a trigger.
I am watching "How Do you make it" on TV. They are doing a double rifle.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree the metal checkering is sweet. Just beautiful lines. lovely. Thank you for sharing, i"m sure the new owner will be pleased as punch.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I notice that the stock has a ton of down pitch. Ten degrees or so.
Do you notice a bunch of muzzle flip?

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Another nice one...

Forrest
Enjoy!!!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deankol:

You need a ne protractor (or new glasses)...it's 3 degrees...even Godzilla would need MAYBE 5 degrees

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
quote:
Originally posted by deankol:

You need a new protractor (or new glasses)...it's 3 degrees...even Godzilla would need MAYBE 5 degrees

rotflmo

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! I love that rifle D'Arcy, no frills or marble cake, just a great layed out piece of wood that won't warp, and that excellent workmanship that you do best..Super nice rifle and a great caliber..Just what any hunter would be proud to own.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane, do the front and rear sights come with different heights? I noticed that they were both removable.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty well sighted in as is...maybe another shooter would want a higher or lower bead to suit his style of hold...Of course, the rear is adjustable for windage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I didn't know if you had different heights for various distances.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why aren't the screws timed? jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, what velocities are you getting with 250gr and then 286 gr. bullets?

What length barrel is your masterpiece?
Thank you.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Customer wanted a "No B.S." hunting rifle for upcoming African Hunt."

Well, it worked...

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congrats Forrest!!! Benin or Burkina? Beautiful old bull shot with a classic caliber. I want the full story!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great looking rifle Forrest. Glad to see you breaking it in properly.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Proper bull with a beautiful rifle! dancing

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote