Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270-300 Win Mag
 Login/Join

posted
I am currently waiting with baited breath for the chance to shoot my freshly re barreled Cloward in .270-300. I sent it to PacNor for a 26", supermatch chrome moly, polygonal twist, barrel. I had loads worked up for it but always like input from others. If you were in my shoes where would you start (aside from puttin it all back together, got that part.)

Consistency equals accuracy

Posts: 17 | Location: Here and There, mostly there | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an odd username. Military jumper at one time? I am retired 101st and 82d.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that a 300 Win Mag necked down to 270?

If that is right, I would look at the 150 grain pills and look at something like VV N-550 maybe--if that's what you were asking about. Powders that work for the 300 WM would be where I would start as a more general answer....for the 150 grain bullets....now a real screamer might be the 130 grain pills...I'd look at the same intel as for 300 and start with loads listed for 125 gr 300 caliber bullets. One thing from experience with wildcats (280AI i.e.) is DEFINITELY START LOW!

Good luck!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That wildcat is going to be pretty darn close to the 270 Wby Mag in case capacity. That seems like the most logical choice for a starting point for load data.

You will probably find @ 5 grains more capacity in your case, so something slightly above a 270 Wby Mag starting load, with a powder on the slower end of the scale would be appropriate.