New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunmaker/stocker in Missouri
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone familiar with a gun maker that was in Missouri by the name of Larry Elliott? He might have been from elsewhere? I bought a rifle from the folks from Westley Richards when they were doing the gun shows in Tulsa. He makes a fine sporting rifle and would love to thank him for the memories!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If you search the "Guns" magazines archives he was featured a few times in 1988 and 1989.

http://gunsmagazine.com/1988-articles/

http://gunsmagazine.com/1989-articles/

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
As Fjold said. There was a Larry Elliott that would do articles on the gun mags. I've also seen his name on the BR forum

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he goes by the title "The Stock Doctor", I believe he is out west now. He did a couple stocks for me through WR about 15 years ago. Might be a different guy as I seem to remember his name as Kevin Smith. He is in Dufur, Oregon and the phone number I have is 541-467-2995. I did lots of business with Bob Francis when he was in Missouri with WR and this is who he used for all stock work. This would have been from 1995 till they moved to Montana and the Kildays became managers.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock doctor is Dennis Earl Smith, a good friend of mine. He used to work for Westley Richards, restoring stocks. A great tradesman/artist. Member of the Guild. My wife and I sat with him at the guild dinners for many years along with Fred Wells and his wife. This rifle i am referring to was made By Larry Elliott for a raffle to benefit a sick friend. Made with a Polish Radom small ring mauser action, Schneider barrel, in 7x57 Mauser. It is one of the finest hunting rifles I own. Not overly fancy, just great lines shape and form.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like we should see pictures...the Tulsa Gun Show is a good one!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
would love to e-mail some pictures of my collection. Have never uploaded many pictures.

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis also reads this board at least once a day.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dennis also reads this board at least once a day.

And provides excellent pointers Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis, good to see you are well and upright. Do I still have a credit with you? I'm sure one of my African guns is sorely in need of your services! The Tulsa show isn't like it used to be when you were showing there. Lots of the old crowd is not making it back each time I go. Its almost worth the trip to see whom has survived the past 6 months! A reunion of sorts.

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not seen you in quite some time L.B. You should come down to Dallas this next January and catch up. I am booked solid just now so call me and we will talk.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
obviously not in a terrific hurry. glad to see you are well. May visit you in Dallas. All of my family has moved to the Seattle area for jobs. I retired a year ago. Glad for the weekends with no call. And all the vacation time I want. How far are you from Seattle?

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on where you are at in "Seattle". Al Lind gets here in 3.5 hrs to fish the Deshuetes River from L;akewood/Tacoma. Seattle is another 25 minutes north of that. Figure about 4.5 hours and you have a one way trip to me. This time of year it is a great drive. RETIRED? Are you kidding, you just got retreaded and are rolling faster!! Oh, I am a 2.5 days drive from your house to here. Al Lind and I have driven to Dallas the last two years for DSC.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im thinking i should come by and see you on my way up to visit the kids. developed terrible degenerative joint disease after a year long fight with Lyme disease. pretty much destroyed my career. bright side is no call, nights, weekends or OB ever again and after 40 years of it, I'm glad!

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your medical trials. I live in the country so lots if room to roll if you are chair bound. Shop has 4' aisle too. Let me know when you decide to come my way. Many ways to drive. I have done each at least once and know where NOT to stop.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know Larry very well we had a very spiritual experience that non believers would scoff at but 1b404 u know me very well and know me to be truthful man as my good friend Dennis can also testify to, last I knew Larry had gone to Az to spend winter with brother. Call and I'll relate modern day miracle by GOD

Gar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GAR!!! He does exist !!! Ya'll can find my contact info at www.thestockdr.com. Call we must catch up.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gar. you gotta come back to Tulsa even if you just sit at my tables and we all shoot the bull.
Wish I had one last safari to live through. Many of my best friends are gone, wife gone, kids in Washington State on Tech jobs. Not how I figured it would work out. Do you go to Dallas for the DSC?

Dennis, I was thinking of driving up to Seattle this summer. Thought about visiting Sterling Davenport and Rube Wells in Arizona then heading north. Thought about driving to Portland area then on to Olympia where my kids are. Would love to come by and see you at your shop.

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
L.B. keep me in the loop. It will be good to see you again. Still busy making sawdust so I won't be going anywhere that I know of this summer.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not many friends in the world and I had to pick u two sure glad we're still kicking