New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dave Wesbrook
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some might know that Dave was in failing health due to a heart condition.

He had recently been admitted to a care facility, passed away last night...apparently another heart attack.

Posts: 3470 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really hate that! I know some had troubles with him, but he has been very helpful to me.
I guess 2 old SOBs can get along. I'll miss him.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Dave.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Duane for the news. I will pass it to the ACGG. I last spoke with David last month 2x. He was going to have dinner over at his brothers place that evening. I will miss him. He was always kind to me.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
My condolences, as argumentative as he was, Dave was always helpful to me.

Roger

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WEll...he did have opinions...still he had a lot to give..I spoke to him two days ago...he sounded pretty rough , so when his brother called, I really wasn't too surprised..He was only 67, had his first heart attack at 39

Posts: 3470 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Dave and my condolences to his family and friends.

I corresponded a bit with Dave and bought his stockmaking book for the photography. He was a great photographer and did some impressive commercial setups for photographing classic cars etc, and guns of course.

He was a talented artisan.

DRSS

Posts: 1910 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this.

Duane, I remember when you had your shop in Walnut Creek. I was a young sprout then.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May his memory be eternal

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Too young. Condolences to his family.

Dave

Posts: 920 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Dave. He sure shared a lot here, I will miss his stuff.

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I corresponded from time to time with Dave, mostly about photography. He was a professional photographer as well as an excellent stock maker. I will miss him.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
He called me twice just to discuss stock design; I found him to be a gentleman. RIP, Dave.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terrible To hear. I talked with him once when I learned he was in WI, but never visited. Last year he let me know several gun show he was attending and asked I stop by but I wasn’t able to attend. I did get the sense he was interested in just visiting with like minded gun enthusiasts. He will be certainly missed.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I corresponded from time to time with Dave, mostly about photography. He was a professional photographer as well as an excellent stock maker. I will miss him.

I helped him post some pics of the stock blanks he had for sale and he sent me a few picture of cars he had shot - Rolls Royces and Ferraris. A talented guy for sure.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear of his passing. Condolences to his family.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I truly hope that Dave's spirit finds a place of peace to rest in~~~

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1791 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
He let me know when he was going to be at the Tulsa Arms Show a few years back. He wanted to smoke so we went outside, we talked for a long time, really enjoyed the fact I got to meet him as we done a lot of gun talking. He gave me one of his CDs with the photos he had done and stock work was also on it...a lot of talent. RIP Dave!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I met Dave at the ACGG show in Reno back in 02 or 03. He was a nice guy and took the time to chat with me. He was one of a kind.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Condoles to his family and friends. I did not know the man except by his work, but as someone of roughly the same age, gone way to soon.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave came and did a photo shoot at my place about 5 years ago. The visit was much more than pictures...we traded ideas and opinions until the wee hours. Hearing about his travels and work was fascinating.
The highlight of the visit was Dave signing my (his) book and complimenting my work...that meant a lot to me.
Dave had a standing invite, but never made it back here...RIP Dave.

Paul Sannes

Posts: 44 | Location: s.c. WI | Registered: 18 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems like too many are leaving us too soon. RIP Dave.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Dave.
Thanks to Duane for the update.

He was always helpful and informative to me. He was opinionated but he had the experience to back it up IMHO.

I think I'm up to about 1.5 dozen numbers in my phone of folks who have passed away. I cannot bring myself to delete them.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rest In Peace, Dave.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. He was very helpful to me on stock design and finishing.

My condolences to his family.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was very generous with his time and help to me also. Especially as it must have been very mundane things to him, that he helped me on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duane. Dave had some good information. He will be missed.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Per Dave's wishes, he was cremated and his ashes spread in the Wisconsin woods he so loved.

His book, photography and custom rifles serves as his marker and monument

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that you lost a good friend Duane.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5122 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that.

He was very helpful with my project restocking my take down Mannlicher Schoenauer.

He helped with a lot of details and just plain knowledge from experience.

RIP. Prayers for the family.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have pictures of stocks he built?

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
R

I have photos of a relatively recent project he did. As soon as I can find the photos, I'll post a couple.

TT

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much, but a pic of his rifle from his book-

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had not heard from him in quite a while, he usually called about two or three times a year,and I would call him from time to time. Last time we talked it was about my selling my Hough rifle, He and Jack Hough were good friends..He sure knew his business and was sot in his ways on gunsmithing and seldom if ever wrong..I enjoyed our conversations..He will be missed.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
What a shame. I'll miss him. The man had talent and didn't suffer fool's lightly. When you opened one of Dave's posts you didn't know if you were going to get an education or dressed down but it was always interesting and entertaining. I learned so much from his book. I'll never be on the level of others here but got further along with the help of his book than I ever could have on my own.

RIP Dave.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tsquare2:
quote:
R

I have photos of a relatively recent project he did. As soon as I can find the photos, I'll post a couple.
TT

Did you find the photos?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote