THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Klaus Hiptmayer Canadian Gunsmith
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Klaus Hiptmayer Canadian Gunsmith
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know of Klaus Hiptmayer, a gunsmith in Canada?

A rifle at a show was labeled as made by him.

Do you have a picture of his work on bolt action rifles? Besides whats on his site of course.

Thank you.

http://www.herosarms.com/Klaus...Stockmaker/index.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just curious if the rifle you saw was engraved, as I believe his wife, named Heide, is an engraver.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True Hiptmayer's wife is well known as an engraver. The rifle in question is a traditional Mauser sporter. It does have certain features however that may tie it to Klaus.

What happened was that I found such a rifle for sale at a show yesterday that is identical to the one that I got year ago. It was labeled as made by Klaus Hiptmayer and the dealer said that he knew the Hiptmayers.

He said, and there are other reports, that Heidemarie Hiptmayer has passed away.

I did find a rifle featured on the net that's reported to have been stocked by Klaus Hiptmayer. It does have some stock features that could have been done my Klaus.

My rifle and identical one at the show are unique in that they both have the same contour octagon barrels.

Here is a link to a rifle stocked by Klaus.

http://www.hallowellco.com/hip..._browning_safari.htm

I am looking for pictures of Klaus Hiptmayer rifles with octagon barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heide Hiptmayer died quite some time ago, she was a very fine artist in steel and a couple of my former friends from my old shooting club here at Vancouver, BC, had rifles built by Klaus and engraved by Heide.

Klaus, rumour had it, took her death very hard and largely gave up making guns, then, within a few years, passed on himself.

I did not care for the stock styles I saw on rifles he had built for guys I used to shoot with and I do not care for the Germanic-style of engraving on firearms, to me, "less is better". However, he built some fine guns and Heide's engraving was v ery lovely, whether one prefers that style on guns or not.

I don't have exact dates, but, I seem to recall that they have both been gone for over ten years.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear that about the Hiptmayers. I have admired their work ever since I first saw one of their rifles.

In particular, that Browning on offer by Hallowell is a beautiful rifle in every way.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13410 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dewey,

From the web site I linked to above it reads as if Klaus is alive and working.

Perhaps his stocks are not to your taste. The ones on his site look good to mine.

Also the rifles that I saw may not have been made by him.

Thus I am still asking for pictues of his work that others have.

one of us
posted Hide Post
His work looks nice and that engraving is really appealing to me. It was interesting that he only showed a small lathe and no knee mill. Has anyone been to his shop to see if has them?

But did anyone think something about his shooting range? It looks to me that it is pointed right at a road. And to me it even looked like a car was on the road when he took the picture. Am i seeing that correctly, or is it an optical illusion or something? I may very well be way off base with what i was interpretting from the pics.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, looking at the pictures of the range and his map it appears that he is patterning shotguns at RT 112.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the 98 Mauser sporter said to have been done by Klaus Hiptmayer.

While the stock is traditional its quality stands out. The barrel on this and others that I have seen is an octagon.

Have you seen one?

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage_99, Nice firearm. I have seen those labels at the Middle town gun show Wink

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote