THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Someone else had it built; old benchrest rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Someone else had it built; old benchrest rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
But darn it, it looked so cool I just had to have. It was a bargain, too.

FN Mauser single shot built by Art Mashburn. It is on its second barrel, a 6x45. The original was .222 chrome moly/blue, set up for a Unertl scope. I may get a repro of the original barrel one of these days, just for kicks.

I think it’s pretty cool. I can’t wait to take it to the range.

Picture taken at this morning at a local Mom & POP gun shop/my FFL for internet purchases.

Posts: 7485 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That definitely looks old school cool!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12543 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Canjar single set trigger might bring $200.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were for sale Wink

Posts: 7485 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to have the Interarms M98 single shot action myself... kicking myself a bit for selling that one, instead of building a rifle on it.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two that are very similar. Both sport FN actions and were built with what I figure were THE barrels of the day. A 250-3000 with a Ashurst barrel and a single set trigger. A 219 Don Wasp with a Gregoire barrel with double sets and gunsmithed by BM Auston.

Jack Pohl, who used to own Bishop Gunstock Co back in the day, had them built. So he had no problem finding someone to stock them for him.

They are a pleasure to shoot and although they aren't benchrest rifles in today's terms they will do pretty well. I can regularly group in the 2's with them and occasionally approach the 1's.

A step back in time.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nortman:
Used to have the Interarms M98 single shot action myself... kicking myself a bit for selling that one, instead of building a rifle on it.

It’s not difficult to find an FN single shot action or complete rifle. I see them on Gunbroker and sites like this on a regular basis. I think they are a really interesting chapter in the history of shooting sports.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil McFall:
I have two that are very similar. Both sport FN actions and were built with what I figure were THE barrels of the day. A 250-3000 with a Ashurst barrel and a single set trigger. A 219 Don Wasp with a Gregoire barrel with double sets and gunsmithed by BM Auston.

Jack Pohl, who used to own Bishop Gunstock Co back in the day, had them built. So he had no problem finding someone to stock them for him.

They are a pleasure to shoot and although they aren't benchrest rifles in today's terms they will do pretty well. I can regularly group in the 2's with them and occasionally approach the 1's.

A step back in time.
Phil

My plan is to leave it a benchrest gun and just go shoot some small groups for fun with it. Sort of the shooting sports equivalent of taking a stock ‘29 Ford to a drive thru once in a while.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree!

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The early Sakos had a single shot action nd two versions. One was a true solid bottom and the other had like a plate added.

a couple of things together probably brought the Rem 700 style to the front of the pack. The very light hollow fibreglass stock which men it could not be bedded in the normal way and so was bedded and the action glued to the bedding. Two small holes either side of the stock would let you get the trigger out of the action. Also getting a "glue in" apart is a whole lot easier with the round action as compared to an action with flat bottom and vertical sides like the M70.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote