New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timney triggers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The trigger on my Rem model SS 700 was changed to a Timney. Very glad to do it. But I've had to get it worked on 2 - 3 times due to closing the bolt / moving the safety forward - results in the gun firing. No rounds have ever gone off. But since it's been fixed 3 times, I'm getting a little twitchy about it. The gun is a sub-moa rifle with everything I poke in it and all things fall dead when it goes off.

Any ideas? Should I just cut my losses and go get another 270, another trigger, etc;???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you have it adjusted wrong - set it for more sear engagement

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Butch, more sear engagement.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Purchase/Install a Jewell & throw the aluminum housing POS Timney in the trash.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used plenty of the Timney POS aluminum triggers. Even the cheaper bold triggers. Nothing wrong with them in my opinion. But like the others said it sounds like it is adjusted wrong.

Nothing wrong with a Jewel. Hard to find and twice as much $$.

You can't set a hunting trigger to benchrest levels.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I vote sear adjustment as well. All 3 bolt actioned rifles with Timney's I bought weren't set up properly. One was way off. Read your instructions for the trigger. If you need help, call Timney. These are some great triggers when set up properly and are warranted for life. http://www.timneytriggers.com/page/warranty-info/

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I too have used Timney triggers for too long a time under rugged conditions to condemn them. the only triggers that seem to constantly give hunters a problem are Jewells.
They may be great for target shooters but in dirty or wet, salty and cold conditions they are way to fragile.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All my Model 70 Winchester target rifles have Jewells on them, none of my hunting rifles do. The ones with after market triggers, P-14 Enfields and 98 Mausers, all have Dayton Traisters, and they have never given me a problem even after weeks and weeks of bouncing around in an African hunting car.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a couple Jewells on my hunting Remingtons and a couple on my BR rigs. I mostly use and prefer a Shilen trigger on my hunting Remingtons. On my Mausers and Enfield custom hunting rifles I have Timney, Recknagel, and Blackburn. Sold my Kenyon and Canjars. The Kenyon and Canjars are excellent. Only problems I've had trouble with were factory Remington triggers that I adjusted without the proper knowledge and skill. I decided the customs were better than me fooling with them.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input folks !

I'm going to call Timney today and see what I can find out.

Won't hurt to see if I can send it to them and have it checked.

Appreciate it very much!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timneys are my favorite and any time I replace a trigger, I go with a Timney.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 or 5 Timney's and about the same of spec-techs no trouble with any of them

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once adjusted properly, Timmney's trigger has never given me a problem. Just curious any input on Huber trigger especially for the Rem 700.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
No problems with Timney's. Installed them on Ruger RSM .458Lott and a Remington 700 .416Rem. Both made multiple trips to Africa and were used on numerous DG hunts including Buff, Lion, Hippo and Ele.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO, The Timney is as good a trigger as you can have on a hunting rifle..They are durable, and Ive never had a problem with one..Since they are a hunting trigger you may have had them tuned to bench rest poundage, that probably won't work as they are made to operate at 2.5 to 4 lbs and break clean..If Im reading between the lines here, your a after a benchrest 1.5 trigger...Having a Timney worked on like that is a gunsmiths delima and only a rank amateur would even attempt such a fallacy IMO...

I suspect your a Texas Sendero Aggie, and want a set up to shoot a mile down a South Texas Sendero, I have known many of that breed! many of which are family, But even at that, a 2.5 Lb. Timney will work on the largest bucks at the great distances of the Golden Triangle!! Wink beer

YOur best fix is to toss the modified Timney as it probably has no sear material left, and getcha a new Timney, set it at 2.5 and learn to live with it and hope your smithy stayed off the bolt cocking piece..but that's just my fix and a mere suggestion..Good hunting.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All adjustable hunting rifle triggers installed in my shop have to pass the "BONK" test. I "bonk" the "finished and adjusted" barreled action with a 4 ounce plastic hammer from all directions. If the action goes off at any time, it gets more sear engagement. YMMV.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote