Find
Notify
Tools

Kudos to Jim Kobe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted
First off I need to apologize to Jim for having taken so long to post this. Unfortunately I've had some "distractions" of late.

I finally got to shoot this rifle which I had Jim work on a while back. It started out as a standard action Pre War opened up to a 7mm Rem by Jack Belk. That rifle sat in my safe for nearly a decade as I just couldn't get it to shoot- no consistency irrespective of powder, bullet weight, etc. I sent the rifle to Jim and had him pull the LW barrel and put in a Broughton. He contoured, cut, threaded and chamber it to .300 Win. I had Jim open up the bottom (cloned a Pre war H&H action) and chisel out the stock to fit the H&H box. I also had him pillar bed the barreled action.

What is really impressive is not the quality of Jim's work, which is top notch but the "ungunsmith-like" quick turnaround time. I guess gun builders don't fuck around like gunsmiths (personal joke to Jim). I have used him for a few other projects, and again, very quick turnaround time and quality work. I can unequivocally say that Jim is an absolute pleasure to work with.

I no longer am allowed to shoot at home (we have 8 horses, cows, etc). So I dropped off the rifle to a retired gentleman with a full range outside his house who reloads for the local gun shop owner and the smith. He has the time and the setup to shoot POI groups when he works up loads- shoots one shot, brings the rifle inside, cools it off and again shoots one shot, again and again over the course of a day.

Well. Jim built me a shooter. That guy's worked up many a load for the shop and he said "that rifle will flat out shoot!!!!" Rifle's sweet spot is 71gr Norma MRP, WLRM, RWS brass and 180gr TSX @ 3055 fps. That day he settled in on that load every group had touching bullets.

Thanks again Jim.......outstanding work!

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim just did some work for me - can't wait to get my rifle back!

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh chit - there go the prices again Big Grin 2020

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great job Jim!

Beautiful muleys.

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I like to say, he's not much to look at, but good, fast, very reasonably-priced, and reliable :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great looking. great shooting... what's not to like! Well done on fitting a new barrel on the doc's rifle Jim.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are selling this one, seems as though you are not too attached to it yet - I am interested!!!!
I love anything that says ".300WM" and shoots this well.

Seriously, I would be a buyer if you decide to sell...

Big Grin

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim is the BEST to work with. He has saved my bacon a couple times, and worked magic on some other work I needed done.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He took care of me a couple of years ago on short notice and I highly recommend him.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 22 July 2015 20:24 Hide Post
As I like to say, he's not much to look at

Yeah but his dog is nice

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, and he's pretty smart for a guy from Minnesota....he even wears tie shoes! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed, plus one!

I have had Jim do a barrel and action rescue for me. His work was flawless, his turnaround time was very reasonable, and the price not as much as one would expect.

I would recommend mr Kobe to anyone who wants the best work, at a decent turnaround and very reasonable pricing without any reservations.

One of the best!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Note to Biebs: away from the hillbilly hills of NW Jersey, we refer to those as "Lace Ups...!"

rotflmo moon

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, in Minnesota, they're required to come with instructions :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim has done a couple projects for me, and his work has been timely, first rate, and reasonably priced.

And his dog is friendly too... A man is always judged by his dog, after all...

Posts: 10605 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
. A man is always judged by his dog, after all...
thats why biebs has a crat

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As most of you know, Jim has worked on or built several rifles for me. I'm very well pleased with him.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
semi mannlicher. forends toooo long :-)

Posts: 6391 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
semi mannlicher. forends toooo long :-)

Did you mean "...forend's too long..."

I didn't do the stock, to each his own however.

Thands for the nice comments guys.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5502 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Master speaks....we are humbled! :-)

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
quote:
:-)

the born-agains are always the most vociferous

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm just a dumbass okie, and the intent of your post??

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Was just pointing out your use/mis-use of the apostrophe, which is it, " 's" to show ownership or not.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you know how to get to Texas from Idaho?

Head east until you smell bovine excrement. That's Oklahoma.
Turn right until you step in some. That, my friend, is Texas.
horse

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
do you know how to get to Texas from Idaho?

Head east until you smell bovine excrement. That's Oklahoma.
Turn right until you step in some. That, my friend, is Texas.
horse

You wouldn't make it in your jag a were.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha!

You think it's that deep in Poetry my friend?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha!!
I sent you a PM my friend!

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
correcting my spelling could be a full time job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FMC

I am curious as to who built the stock for your rifle.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't feed the trolls.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Can't remember when I had the original built-? '03 or '04. Bill Soverns built that rifle.
I'll photoshop it for you to make it a mannlicher.........actually the original was built
with the golden rule for a 24" tube, now it's sportin a 26". I find that a bit more pleasing
in a NA stock.

With Jim's turnaround times you really can't forget you have a project out there .....

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote