Find
Notify
Tools

Stevens Favorite .22lr
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted
A few years ago I picked up a little Favorite made in 1910 or so, and a couple years ago started making some new stocks for it and redoing the metal. The only power tool I used was my bandsaw to cut up the blank, and from there it was done entirely by hand from inlet to carving to checkering. The wood is claro walnut- I had a Weatherby MkV "factory second" blank on hand from when I started checkering with a big knot where the bolt notch would go and just sawed it in half to make a flawless two piece blank. The fore-end tip and inlay are gabon ebony, and the buttplate is buffalo horn with a Lake Superior agate cabochon inlaid. I also fitted a new extractor/ejector from Wisner and replaced a few other bits that needed it, then I rust blued the barrel and sent the receiver and lever to C. Sharps for cyanide CCH after polishing. They knocked it out of the park. I added a Marble's tang sight for fun. I just tried to do something different without copying anyone's previous work for the checkering patterns, cut 20lpi because I wasn't sure the fat pored claro could handle much finer and wanted to play it safe.

Always wanted a nice little single shot like this, and now I've got it to hunt with. Weighs 4 3/4lbs and is easy to carry around. Still need to fix a couple of things here and there but its still good enough to hunt with.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Wonderful little rifles and a beautiful job dolling up a little classic.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3817 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Great work. You’ll certainly enjoy using that little rifle.
Larry

Posts: 372 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice job! I did the same thing to a very old Stevens M44 .22LR. These old guns are a joy to use and have a soul that modern, plastic tools lack.

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done Evan!
The stockmaking is exceptional and the case colors perfect for a Stevens~~~ Good on ya.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1788 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great Evan!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bring the Rifle over to South Minneapolis. We have too many squirrels around here! tu2

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. Just, wow!

Posts: 41773 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
They are great little .22’s and yours turned out better than good. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
YOU, sir, knocked it out of the park. Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Egad, that's a pretty rifle.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14373 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just showed it to my Bro who has the same rifle. I might be getting busy on his gun here shortly because of you.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one the same vintage that I've been wanting to fix up. You've given me inspiration.

Very nicely done !!!

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice....curious about the color case "pattern'

I can't say that I either like it or dislike it ..Certainly eye catching. Any information you can share?

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "striped" case colors, especially the cyanide process as shown, are consistent with original Stevens rifles.
I believe it is accomplished by dipping the action in and out of the cyanide bath.
These are certainly more flamboyant than I've seen. I like the look!

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1788 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See there...When you ask a question, you find out things...Thanks

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it! That's about the wildest cyanide I think I've seen!

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Very tastefully done especially the ribbons! The cobochon is a unique touch.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5104 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't get all weak in the knees over rifles but I must say that little 22 is magnificent.

Well done!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Very pretty rifle and I'm really drawn to the case colors. Very well done. I've never been a big fan of cyanide colors. Seemed translucent to me. This rifle the colors are opaque and striking. Well done!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote