THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Suitability of the short Yugo 98 action for custom rifles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suitability of the short Yugo 98 action for custom rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend has a 35 cal (octogon medium sporter-ish barrel contour) threaded for a large ring 98. It has been chambered to 350 rem mag. This is a short barrel, only measuring 20 inches or so. I was thinking real hard about what action would be best to pare with this barrel for a nice little open site woods thumper. I was thinking that maybe even a stutzen style would be nice. Given that the 350 Rem mag is a short action cartridge, I was thinking that a short Yugo action would be cool to use. The problem is, I don't know what to do for bottom metal for a Yugo. Anybody have any ideas or suggetions? I wouldn't mind using a lever type floor plate release, if I had to, but I would like a trigger gaurde bow that doesn't look too military. Thanks in advance.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
If you do a Yugo, start with an M24 or 24/47. The M48's tend to be rough as cobs.

Any bottom metal that fits a small ring mauser will work. Like, say, a nice SR Mexican unit.

The bow's can be re-profiled to look very non military. Pretty straight forward to make one look like an early FN commercial.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, Mike!

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cut one one Duane's units down for my 350RM on a intermediate action. I've also done the same thing with 1909 guards.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion Don. I was planning on taking Mikes advice and using your instructions on "Mauser Central" on how to make an inside-the gaurd-bow floor plate release. Cutting down a box aready sized for a belted magnum might make more sense. Thanks again. Matt

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they can be made into nice rifles. I would recommend grinding and heat treating the action.

A Weibe bottom metal is on the way for this one, it is going to get rebuilt; action ground, barrel set back, action re-bedded, the new trigger guard installed, Talley rings and bases, it already has a M70 style 3-pos installed.

Originally I used a Swede 96 bottom metal. Recontoured the trigger guard. It looked nice but I want a hinged floor plate. I may convert this bottom metal to an oberndorf lever type release but I felt that did not mesh well with the rest of the rifle.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1479 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built this one on a Model 24. Mark Stratton did the octagon barrel, the custom scope bases and the 2 position safety. Bob Hughes did the engraving.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is beautiful, Chic. Thanks for posting it. Your website says Blackburn bottom metal. Is it the Mexican bottom metal?
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

Those are wonderful!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1479 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote