THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Crazy Idea or not, Heavy barrel .243 Bolt?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crazy Idea or not, Heavy barrel .243 Bolt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just a wondering, Been having a crazy idea of building a mid/heavy barrel 20" or so bolt action .243 for varmiting.Kinda like the .223 or .308 "tactical"
And some have said why not just get a 308.
Well,'cuz Im thinking a 243...

Is there such thing on the market and this would be a low budget project.

Any ideas?

Thanks

..."its not a collection if you only have one"....

Posts: 102 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tikka sells a heavy barreled plastic stocked varmint model for about 8 hundred dollars, I have one in 22-250 and it shoots little groups when I do my part with factory ammo.... They offer a .243

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
243 is OK at first but it eats throats due to the shoulder angle. 6mm Rem or 243 Improved would be better for barrel life.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like short barreled rifles.
two of my favorites are a 308 and a 375 H&H with 19 3/4" barrels...

However if that varmint 243 will be shot at longish ranges I would want a 22 to 24 inch barrel.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
243 is OK at first but it eats throats due to the shoulder angle. 6mm Rem or 243 Improved would be better for barrel life.
Regards, Joe

I built a 243 Ackley Improved with a Douglas SS match grade barrel on a Rem 700 SA. Barrel 23 inches, 19mm at the muzzle.
Will shoot 1/4 inch groups with both the 95 BT and the Sierra 85 HPBT at 100m. Best group at 200m is 3 shot 17mm wiht the 95BT.

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I used a heavy bbl 243 Sako Forester as my deer/groundhog rifle while in college and loved it.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regards, Joe

Forgive me for asking, being a semi novice here
But why would that be?
And All 243? eat throats? after how many rounds?
I have Remington 243 for a couple years now and it shoots better than I 3/4" with 95 Noslers @100.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 20" .243 is going to sacrifice velocity compared to a 20" 308. Muzzle blast will increase with the slower powders that give best performance. Longer is usually faster, and it has a greater affect on the smaller bores.

.243win is regarded as a barrel burner due to a combination of the shoulder angle and neck length. The shoulder directs the gasses so that they converge to a point outside the case neck, the turbulence point. This increases erosion of the throat area. The Improved or 6mm Remington have shoulder angle and/or neck length such that the turbulence point stays inside the case neck and beats on the cartridge neck instead of the barrel throat. At least that is how I understand the theory. It's easy to visualize if you take a drawing of the reamer or case and draw a line along the shoulder angle (top and bottom) and see where they intersect. It is generally thought to be easier on the throat to keep the TP inside the case.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hard to beat a 6br if you are shooting under 400 or so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want a short .243. I wouldn't want a long one either.

Now a 6mm in a 22-250 case or in a .223 case would be more to my liking(I can't remember what those wildcats are)

Go Navy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gzig5 is spot-on with his post, it's the shoulder angle and neck length. In my limited experience I've found that accuracy begins to fall off around 1000 rounds or usually sooner and requires the bullet to be seated out further and further, with the max limit to be 1500-2000 rounds even using ball powder (which I hate).

A further observation on long-range deer shooting with the 24-cals: past 300 yds you'll wish you had a 6-284!

I was peripherally involved back in the '60s with our state Game & Fish's effort to reduce the deer population via shooting. We soon found that the typical 243 Win/6mm Rem shot across a 40 or an 80 (400-500 yds) would frequently result in the deer running off. We rechambered 2 of the rifles to 6-284 and left the other 2 original for comparison. BTW these were all pre-64 Wins, this was the middle '60s.

NO comparison, the extra few hundred fps really seemed to make a significant difference at these longer ranges with all bullet weights. I offer this as FYI only, since I personally don't shoot deer this way any more.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
gzig5 is spot-on with his post, it's the shoulder angle and neck length. In my limited experience I've found that accuracy begins to fall off around 1000 rounds...

A further observation on long-range deer shooting with the 24-cals: past 300 yds you'll wish you had a 6-284!

Regards, Joe

So it sounds like a longer barrel would be better than shorter and that maybe the 243 isnt the best option for this crazy idea.

Please explain the 6-284

Iguess what Im thinking is something "standard" larger than a 22-250 but smaller than the 308 in a short action that doesnt break the bank.
Or just kep shootin what Im a shootin
and buy more loading supplies.

A 243 will shoot out the barrel in 1000-1500 rounds?

one of us
posted Hide Post
This "crazy idea" has been pretty standard in the industry for 40 or 50 years. Have owned Win 70, Sako Forester, Ruger 77, Ruger No1, Browning Hi Wall and others all in this exact configuration. I own three right now. Just buy one and try to see if you like it.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe you shoot out the barrel of a 243 in 1000-1500 rounds. More like 3000-4000 rounds.

I DO believe that the 243 Ackley Imp and the 6-284 will give you better brass life and probably better accuracy.

My 243 AI will turn out the lights of a roedeer pretty quick at ranges between 50-300 meters..

M

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metric:
I don't believe you shoot out the barrel of a 243 in 1000-1500 rounds. More like 3000-4000 rounds.

I DO believe that the 243 Ackley Imp and the 6-284 will give you better brass life and probably better accuracy.

My 243 AI will turn out the lights of a roedeer pretty quick at ranges between 50-300 meters..

M
IMO,it depends on how hot you get the barrel.If you go to the range and shoot 150 rounds in 20 minutes and next day you do it again, it could stop shooting accurately right then-especially if you do not have a heavy benchrest type barrel.If you have a very heavy barrel and shoot 10 or 20 rds over an hour,the barrel can stay accurate for as long as you stated,IMO.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbofus:
Just a wondering, Been having a crazy idea of building a mid/heavy barrel 20" or so bolt action .243 for varmiting.Kinda like the .223 or .308 "tactical"

Any ideas?

Thanks
If I didn`t want to carry the rifle while hunting and just wanted a target rifle I would get the heaviest barrel possible-like a heavy benchrest.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:

M
IMO,it depends on how hot you get the barrel.If you go to the range and shoot 150 rounds in 20 minutes and next day you do it again, it could stop shooting accurately right then-especially if you do not have a heavy benchrest type barrel.If you have a very heavy barrel and shoot 10 or 20 rds over an hour,the barrel can stay accurate for as long as you stated,IMO.

Of course, I'm not used to "varminting shooting". Here in Norway I only make 1 or perhaps 2 shots pr day. I'll guess my barrel stays pretty cool!!
A 243 for varminting should be used carefully.. Fast burning powders would tear up the throat in extensive shooting.. Mild loads would be preferrable.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:

M

I can understand that.
My usuall shooting sessions are 3-5 rounds slowly then grab another shootin iron and do the same.
If I ever get 20 rounds down the barrel within 1 hour its usually a .204 or .223
I just do not do that much or that kind of shooting.
Someday I would love to do a prairie dog "session" but right now I just do not do that rate of shooting.
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well if it is a crazy idea - count me as nuts - couple years ago i bought a nice new kimber and re barreled it with a med heavy 243 makes a great windy day pd gun

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did something similar. I rebarreled a Remington 700 ADL with a medium weight, #5 contour barrel. I left it long though at 25 inches. It will be for long range pdogs, and such. It will be my go to coyote rifle and my wife took a liking to it so it might also shoot a deer. So far it shoots Barnes 80 grain tipped triple shock very well. Best group is 1/4 inch.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't want a short .243. I wouldn't want a long one either.

Now a 6mm in a 22-250 case or in a .223 case would be more to my liking(I can't remember what those wildcats are)

Go Navy

6X45 OR 6MM/223 Wink and

6MM International (a few versions out there I think).

You can also look at 6XC.

I'd second the 6mm BR.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbofus:

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dear mrbofus:

I've owned three 243 Winchesters in my life. My first and sole rifle for years was a 1968 production, Model 700 ADL Remington. Five shot groups with Sierra bullets in a 22 inch barrel never cracked one inch at 100 yards.

Next was a heavy varmint pre-64 Winchester. About the same accuracy, but a bit much to lug around with a 26 inch barrel.

The third one was an early pre-Garcia 1961 production light weight Sako Forrester. This SOB would shoot 5/8"-3/4" five shot groups from the bench, and then drive me nuts. Because, when offhand shooting at groundhogs with the combination of flat bottom stock and muzzle light barrel at 23", it was about as accurate as a spear. Even while sitting and using a tight sling, properly set up, I could not hold that rifle steady. I sold it.

My old Remington was perfectly balanced and light, and I rarely missed groudhogs and never deer. The Sako was horribly balanced and light. The Winchester was a tank.

If I were you, I would test out a lot of rifles off the rack first for balance, before you assemble one.

If you really want to ruin your day out varmint hunting, carry a Ruger 77 in the target format. At 12+ lbs. with scope and Harris bipod on a 95 degree day with 95% humidity (normal in July in Pennsylvania), you will get rid of it as fast as I did.

I've loaded 243 Winchester since age 14 in 1977. I hate it. The shoulder is too sloping at 20 degrees as J. D. Steele intimated. The neck is too short and thickens up fast with hot reloads. This combination may produce throat erosion, but I never shot enough long term sessions to overheat any of the .243 barrels. Usually, I got loads that shot well fast, so I was done after 20-25 rounds.

I believe the 6mm Remington is a better cartridge, but I'm building a 250/3000 Savage with 40 degree shoulder as my primary varmint rifle. Always wanted a quarter bore, since I did the 6mm thing for so long.

I just have to find an old L-579 or A-II Sako action, and I'll put a 24" #4 Lilja on it. It should weigh with scope about 10 lbs.

If you you decide on a 243 Winchester, then stick to Lapua brass. Its the best stuff I've ever used.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mrbofus,
I just finished a rifle similar to your specs:
Savage 110 action
24" Varmint weight barrel in 243 Win
SSS competition trigger
B&C Duramaxx stock
Nikon Monarch 4X16 scope.
Count me in as a nut-case!
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6x47 Lapua

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few heavy barreled varmint rifles on the market chambered in .243, but most of them come with 26" barrels. The cheapest route would probably be to buy one and have a gunsmith cut & crown the barrel to 20". I don't think a 20" .243 would be too pleasant to shoot for extended periods due to muzzle blast, but you might be okay with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't believe I'm actually suggesting this, but if you want a "low budget" gun as something to try out and play with, why not this:

Savage Action with barrel nut
ER Shaw pre-thread barrel in 243 at your length
Buy the tools to install it yourself
Other mods as you see fit.

While not a fan of the looks of the Savage and don't consider Shaw to be the best barrels, they have the potential to be very accurate, flexible in set-up, and extremely low budget.

If you don't like it, pull the barrel and try something else or sell it as a "custom" like they do on GB.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For varminting wiht a short 6mm barrel I would opt for the new Norma 6XC
http://www.norma.cc/sv/Produkter/Skytte/Norma-6XC/

Low recoil, excellent accuracy, low muzzle blast and long barrel life. The velocity is almost at 243 range.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a tikka 243 varmint factory rifle it has a 23 3/4" barrel and it shoots well five rounds one whole easy at two hundred off the lead sled with 55-85gr hornday vmax and interbonds driven fast 85gr doing 3300 55gr cruising over 4000

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmallCal:
Can't believe I'm actually suggesting this, but if you want a "low budget" gun as something to try out and play with, why not this:

Savage Action with barrel nut
ER Shaw pre-thread barrel in 243 at your length
Buy the tools to install it yourself
Other mods as you see fit.

While not a fan of the looks of the Savage and don't consider Shaw to be the best barrels, they have the potential to be very accurate, flexible in set-up, and extremely low budget.

If you don't like it, pull the barrel and try something else or sell it as a "custom" like they do on GB.

Hey Thanks for the suggestion.
I was actually thinking something along those lines.
Savage or Marlin with the barrel nut for fairley easy swap.
I guess that maybe a bit longer barrel might be the way to go as per many suggestions.
My thoughts are trying to avoid the heavy 26"er for packing it around I may need a "mule"