THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Letters and letters and more letters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Letters and letters and more letters
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
Here's a recent job done for a client of Reto Buehler. Very nice metal work BTW.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Superb work!

Bravo!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yipes! Wow! Other superlatives!!

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Exquisite engraving! I would be thrilled to see the finished rifle...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
WOW

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! And a nice caliber to boot.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Exquisite engraving! I would be thrilled to see the finished rifle...

Me too!!!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Always top shelf Roger tu2

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beautiful! And a nice caliber to boot.

I had a customer back in the 80's who shot nothing but doubles. His favorite was a W-R droplock (what's not to like) in .318 for mulies and elk. 250gr bullet at 2500 fps, if I remember right.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. The grip cap is so clean, I love it.

Newbie question, but does the gold inlay suffer any ill or need any special touch up when blued? Or do those parts stay in the white?

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If rust blued, the gold gets slightly tarnished, can be cleaned up with a pencil eraser, caustic blued it comes out fine.

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Lettering and Inlay.

One of the most difficult things to do in Engraving and look perfect IMO.

FWIW..Don't Express Rust Blue with any of the old formulas that have Mercury in it (usually Mercury Bichloride I think it is).

The Mercury with Plate itself to the gold (or brass, copper,etc) very solidly and you will have silver looking inlays.
It does not remove easily.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
What setters5 said. I don't think the gold actually tarnishes, but the rust gets embedded with the carding process. When I rust blued, I would clean the gold with a qtip and flitz. Most likely the same outcome with setters5 process. In fact, the eraser might work better.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks. The cocking piece lettering layout was a bit of a bugger.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, tarnish was a poor way to describe it. I also use a bit of simichrome.

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Your finest work yet in my opinion especially the cocking piece. I assume you had to "cheat" on that spacing a bit.(?) One of my tool projects with curve set letters did not look right with equal spacing. So, I had to improvise. Bravo. A solid 10.

quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
quote:

Thanks. The cocking piece lettering layout was a bit of a bugger.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your finest work yet in my opinion especially the cocking piece. I assume you had to "cheat" on that spacing a bit.(?) One of my tool projects with curve set letters did not look right with equal spacing. So, I had to improvise. Bravo. A solid 10.

Yes equal spacing doesn't ever work. Even on straight line lettering. I think they use the term Kerning. I'd guess that layout is 30% of the job on typical lettering work. More like 50% on the cocking piece.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All beautifully accomplished, congrats Roger~~

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Curious - appx what point font size is that on the floorplate?

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Roger did some engraving work for me on my 7 Mauser. The guy does good work....Highly recommended. And, a pleasure to do business with. I'll also say as well: the engraving work looks great Smiler

Posts: 602 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone that the lettering is very nicely done. However, assuming that is all the same rifle, maybe a bit overdone. I don't know why you would need to have the caliber engraved in three places.

Posts: 173 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point. At least it doesn't tell the owner how many cartridges it holds on the floorplate. Beautiful work all around.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The customer gets what the customer wants. Preference aside, all engraving work was done to perfection.
quote:
Originally posted by GMyers:
I agree with everyone that the lettering is very nicely done. However, assuming that is all the same rifle, maybe a bit overdone. I don't know why you would need to have the caliber engraved in three places.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote