New
Find
Notify
Tools

Al Biesen-270 on P-64 Mod.70??
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
I am on a new pursuit...several years ago I bought a pair of beautiful Al Biesen custom rifles on Pre-war Model 70 actions. Both built for the same guy as a pair, 7MMRem Mag and 338 Win Mag. Down at SCI in January a friend showed me his BEAUTIFUL, almost matching 270...I went off to Africa for a month and MISSED IT!! A buddy bought it...little did I know until the recent Eastern Oregon Double Rifle Shoot!!
Now I am coveting that rifle...just gotta have a 270...might even give up my 7MMRem??
That said, I have been thinking and talking with Roger Biesen about locating a pre-war Model 70 action and barreling&finishing it up to fit the 7mmRem Mag stock...and have a two barrel set...I can switch back depending on what I am hunting. Some think I am crazy...I just like the old Jack OConnor favorite...actually better than the 7MM Rem Mag...but I don't want to start a controversy!!
Any Thoughts or any BEAUTIFUL Biesen 270's on pre-war Model 70 actions floating around??...I might trade my 7MMRem Mag??

470EDDY

Posts: 2568 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cabela's used to have one or two... might check the Gun Library.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A M-70 270 Biesen should not be real difficult to find..I said "find" maybe not buy!

Pure Biesen classic!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't say if it is Al or Roger's work, or if it is a pre-64, but here's a possibility

cabela's biesen 270

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger will build you one for just about what a used one would cost you.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I have an Al Biesen 270 in excellent condition that I have sometimes thought about selling and sometimes not. It is not a pre war however. It is a mid fifties model 70 action. It is very accurate. I have only used it twice - once for a mulie in New Mexico and once locally for a whitetail.

I also have an Al Biesen 458 that I have had Roger Biesen convert to a 458 Lott. It also is a mid 50s model 70 action. It also is very accurate and I have used it twice in Africa. Once for a lion and once for a buffalo.

The wood is excellent in both. They both reportedly came from a Texas oilman's estate.

I might consider selling them if I could sell both at once. I would not sell just one. I have a hunt to finance.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Palmer-Allen; thanks for your reply. Do you have any pix you can post or e-mail to me...I might be tempted!! Please PM me and I will send yo my e-mail address. Depending on where you are located in MO...I might just come out to see them when the Tulsa show is on in Nov...any chance you are coming out to Tulsa?

470EDDY

Posts: 2568 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
470 EDDIE
I usually go to Tulsa in the spring but might go this November if we were to meet up.

Meanwhile I will pm you to get your email address to send pictures.

Here is one of the 458 - I will have to take some of the 270.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW, nice wood...I like it!!...hope the 270 is similar in figure...looks like ALL Biesen to me...pun intended!
Now if I could only find a 416 Rigby too...what a set of golf clubs!!

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was on a similar hunt and after buying my place in Sandpoint Idaho I started seeing many Biesen rifles, most 270's, due to the Pacific NW locale. However, most that I saw had marginal wood and were often just a restocked M70. I kept looking though as the want was high. This past spring I stumbled onto the rifle below, built by an unknown builder on a 1939 M70 in 270 Win. The price was right so it now resides here with me. Good luck on your journey.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, a very nice piece. I would bet a Biesen as well based on the style of checkering and the cheek piece shape. I can't quite see the grip cap but it looks like one of the Biesen caps. They didn't shape the bolt and checker it as was very common, nor the high gloss blue.
You know Roger, his son lives in Spokane and would love to see that rifle and he could authenticate it for you...maybe even letter it...would be worth more if you knew the origin. He is carrying on the family tradition and Rogers daughter is a VERY accomplished engraver and does beautiful inlays as well.
Thanks for sharing this with us...very NICE PIECE!!
FYI- Al is still alive, but now in a nursing home near the family. He is comfortable at about 94 years old.

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Al Biesen stocks were in 4 grades.lowest checkering was a point pattern working up to FdL,FdL w arrowhead&FdL w ribbons.IIRC the #3 was $225 in mid 60s,#4 was$275 including wood.Dont think Roger offers the top grade patterns.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
built by an unknown builder on a 1939 M70 in 270 Win. The price was right so it now resides here with me. Good luck on your journey.

One would think that such a nice rifle would be marked somewhere by the builder. Really a beautiful rifle.

Thanks and I agree why would one not "sign" this piece? The only place I have not looked is under the scope bases.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't look like an Al Biesen stock. The most tell tale feature (to me) of Al's stocks was the large, rounded comb nose. I've always thought it made the grip area look a little too "bulky", at least for my personal tastes.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen several rifles that were only marked under the butt plate. Worth a shot if you haven't looked there already.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, some of these "artists" are REALLY HUMBLE...to a fault...they should be proud of thier creations!
I argued with old friend, the now late Lee Kuhns up here in Poulsbo WA... great friend and hunting/fishing partner and a master, especially if you ever saw one of his minatures,,,,$15-20K fully functional little Model 70's to Walkers...
He built phenominal rifles with GREAT wood& metal work and lots of fantastic special little "trick" features.
I will bet you can't find a rifle, of the few he turned out that were ever marked!!
He also built the fantastic updated machine checkering tool...they had his initials on the head ELK- E.Lee Kuhns
A friend I dearly miss...and he never finished my 416 Rigby that was 18 years in process...but that's another story!!
Many of Biesen's guns are not marked too, fortunately my two pieces are nicely marked on the Barrels....

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:
I've seen several rifles that were only marked under the butt plate. Worth a shot if you haven't looked there already.

Nothing there either.

One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
Here's a Biesen Mauser that a local shop has...
http://members.gunsinternation...cfm?gun_id=100185537
The man knows how to put them together...

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, Classic Biesen. Nice rifle!! Wish it was on a Model 70...but a bit pricey for my blood. Looks like they have put a Mod-70 type safety on it too...I paid about half that for each of mine and the one I missed was stuck at $3400...then I went off to Africa and it sold while I was gone...cudda, wudda, shudda!!

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
Most of the earlier Biesen rifles will have a marking in the barrel channel of the stock. I would check there if you haven't already done so.

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote