THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Machining a sling stud--Finished
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Machining a sling stud--Finished
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Making an under-barrel saddle sling stud.

I used an adjustable boring bar for the last several cuts. The final hole is .980" dia. in a 1" round stock. For the mathematically challenged, that leaves about 4 RCH on each side. My sphincter was tied in a double half-hitch on the last couple of passes. Now on to the hand work.

Posts: 1220 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work !

Posts: 709 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitterroot:
The final hole is .980" dia.

Holy cow that's a monster! BOOM

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Holy cow that's a monster

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent work!

If you don't mind me asking, what does RCH stand for?

And did you make the ball-turning attachment yourself?

Posts: 468 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter Connan asked:
quote:
what does RCH stand for?

RCH is a universal unit of measurement that works equally well in both the Imperial and Metric systems, and is most often heard used in the construction trades, but works well in the Gunmaker's shop also. It's origin of use as a unit of distance is unknown, but most likely developed by the Irish.

Yes, my son made the ball turning tool in our shop.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Common in the printing industry as well. We had a particularly attractive red haired customer service gal named Rhonda..........

Just giv"er another R Sam. Cool

Posts: 551 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tha's nice...very traditional appearance. Did you ever get those screw on butt swivels doped out. I sure like your banded swivel design.

Posts: 3461 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
I have the Dakota/Ken Howell-design inletted studs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Peter Connan asked:
quote:
what does RCH stand for?

RCH is a universal unit of measurement that works equally well in both the Imperial and Metric systems, and is most often heard used in the construction trades, but works well in the Gunmaker's shop also. It's origin of use as a unit of distance is unknown, but most likely developed by the Irish.

Yes, my son made the ball turning tool in our shop.

I laughed out loud about your RCH comment and yes, it's truly universal and very descriptive.

BTW: fantastic work, sir.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duane,
I have the Dakota/Ken Howell-design inletted studs.

Yep...they're nice..fact is I bought a bunch. However, they do not match up with Gas gunners banded swivel eyes...HAR..You know how it goes.

Posts: 3461 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the difference, hole size?
If Gasgunner and I could get in sync we'd make a killing.

One of Us
Picture of JamesStambough
posted Hide Post
I hadn’t heard the term RCH since Firecontrol “A” school in 1990. One of our civilian instructors was an older man that could very profane when describing current levels in various circuits. Definitely means something very fine.

Posts: 31 | Location: Eastern Kentucky  | Registered: 11 February 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ohhh, that is NICE !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this, now I know the best way to make one of these babies!
Well done.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh Now...can you make me one in a banded version ? HAR! Just kiddin

Nice machining!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for posting this, now I know the best way to make one of these babies!

I'm not sure if it's the best way but it was the first thing that came to mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Work! Thanks for sharing it with us. So would frog's hair be a smaller unit of measure?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 426 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Brilliant!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely work!

I do think there is an easier way though. So if I may, perhaps it can be of use in the future:
On a couple of occasions recently I had to make bases that fit on round surfaces. The method I came up with was to use a ball-nose end mill of smaller size than the finish diameter in multiple passes with a small change in depth and a somewhat larger change in the Y-axis. Actual shifts are of course carefully calculated in CAD software.

If enough passes are made this results in a surface which is very close to correct and can be corrected by sanding on a mandrel in just a couple of minutes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do think there is an easier way though

It doesn't get any easier than boring a hole, to the perfect diameter, that doesn't need any sanding to make it fit.

Yes, your method works for cutting the bottom of quarter ribs or front and rear sights and such, but you can hold those parts in a vise while you make your cuts. This part, no. The head-scratching issue of making many parts is not "how do I machine it, but how do I hold it?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying boring the hole was difficult. But I do feel it created a whole lot of after-work.

I do admit that doing it mmy way would require a change in the order of the work and another method to form the ball.

Whatever, there are many ways to skin a cat, and your method certainly resulted in a beautiful product.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:

The head-scratching issue of making many parts is not "how do I machine it, but how do I hold it?"[/QUOTE]

In the machining world that’s the understatement of the century. Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote