New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Wesson...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
NPD345 is going to post several pictures when he finishes some business today.

Enjoy.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out dpcd's picture of the wood to see the grain

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn that is a nice rifle.

B.O.H.I.C.A.

Posts: 49 | Location: Bakersfield California  | Registered: 27 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe after I get it checkered and the rust bluing done.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
OMG!!! Please delete these pics and start over. I spent over 80 hours on this and this does not show anything. The stock is not dark; It is the pictures. Here is one of it:

Posts: 17129 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
That is some snappy wood. Congrats.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
your wish is my command Tom.

I was not trying to slight your work.
Rich showed up at my work and that was the best I could do with what I had to work with. The lighting in that building sucks.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The entire rifle is stunning.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I know, I can tell that lighting was not good.

Posts: 17129 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The second photo certainly shows the beautiful wood ! tu2
The reflection of thelight should not be there . Use indirect light or diffused light.

Is that an octagon barrel with added rounded sighting ramp?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So a converted garage with two 4ft florescent bulbs, with the rifle laying on a white garbage bag on a hospital bed is not the best set up huh? dancing

tough crowd.

Someone was in a hurry for his pictures!

The ramp is part of the barrel; not added.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a photo of the entire rifle. I am especially interested in seeing the entire barrel with the integral rib, etc.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tough crowd here.

What if we take up a collection, and when there is enough $$$ I can have dave wesbrook fly out and do the next set...?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given my photography skills I ain't sayin' nuthin'!

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is why I don't bother with pictures...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
tough crowd here.

What if we take up a collection, and when there is enough $$$ I can have dave wesbrook fly out and do the next set...?

Why don't you buy a decent camera and learn how to use it. It's not rocket surgery.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own Nikon 35mm cameras, and the new cellphone is a Galaxy 7.

Since NPD345 took the pictures you will have to direct your question to him.

I understand it is not rocket science, surgeons go to med school for nine years if that was your intent.

As far as posting myself, I simply do not care enough to do so here.

But, thanks for chiming in...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster perhaps you should follow the same advise you gave to ISS. I've seen several of the photos that you have posted,and they are lacking.

Iss, I can't believe that you threw NPD under the bus. Do you really expect him to do any more photos for you?
Rich maybe you should learn to use your new cell phone. Many suitable photos have been posted on AR using cell phones and I understand that the procedure is relatively easy.

Lindy2, I studied under Frederick Sommer if that name means anything to you. You seem to oversimplify photography by dropping names.

I've been ask by several people if I would photograph individual guns sent to me. The answer is NO. It takes a long day to set up,test and tear down my studio and then several hours the next day to repack the gun and go to UPS. Although I have done that in the past for objects in the $xxx,xxx range the cost was prohibitive to most of us.

I may consider doing a or several regional shoots where I set up in one place and people brought their guns in to be photographed. Cost per shot wold be determined by the distance I had to travel and the number of guns photographed which would be divided between those participating.

David L Wesbrook

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Heck, thanks folks for the pictures that have been shown. There's beauty in some wood, but the beauty of a gun stock is in the execution. I don't know, but I believe that's not the easiest action to stock pleasingly.

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I didn't bring any gasoline to throw on the fire, but wow...that thing is almost too pretty to shoot. Almost.

Posts: 7492 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lindy2, I learned enough to be offered the Head Photographers position at the Tower of London.
I'd ask what you learned from your photo 1 night class but I can see that it was the mediocre advice to use the shade on the north face of a building to produce a mediocre photo. You then added the quote of a very famous photographer in an attempt to make people believe you knew what you were talking about.

I've had lots of photos posted on AR. How about you share your knowledge and talent with us by posting just one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle Rich. Stock is spectacular.

I suck at taking gun photos, and for shame have bugger all of some of the nice rifles and guns I have owned and own.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave wesbrook:
Craigster perhaps you should follow the same advise you gave to ISS. I've seen several of the photos that you have posted,and they are lacking.

Iss, I can't believe that you threw NPD under the bus. Do you really expect him to do any more photos for you?
Rich maybe you should learn to use your new cell phone. Many suitable photos have been posted on AR using cell phones and I understand that the procedure is relatively easy.

Lindy2, I studied under Frederick Sommer if that name means anything to you. You seem to oversimplify photography by dropping names.

I've been ask by several people if I would photograph individual guns sent to me. The answer is NO. It takes a long day to set up,test and tear down my studio and then several hours the next day to repack the gun and go to UPS. Although I have done that in the past for objects in the $xxx,xxx range the cost was prohibitive to most of us.

I may consider doing a or several regional shoots where I set up in one place and people brought their guns in to be photographed. Cost per shot wold be determined by the distance I had to travel and the number of guns photographed which would be divided between those participating.

David L Wesbrook

Thanks for the advise. One thing you forgot to mention, the obvious fact that you think your shit doesn't stink. That's OK, many here are aware of the high opinion you have of yourself. Thanks for the reminder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
I advise shade on the north side of a building because most people here do not own a set of lights and a studio space. While it may be true that they will end up with a somewhat flat photograph, at least it won't have black shadows and blown highlights.

The quote may be from a famous photographer, but because he said it doesn't mean its not true for everyone, whether they know photography or not. Even though history reports Mr. Steiglitz to be somewhat cranky, I am sure he would love it if people talked about what he had to say about photography and art.

I asked you what you learned from Frederick Sommer. Apparently nothing.

Here is a photo from the north side of a building.

Nice rifle, shitty picture, just ask Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lindy2,
I see that you rewrote your entire original post and included a picture. Picture not too bad but still doesn't compare to good studio photography. Could you show us some close-ups and angle shots?

Craigster,
I was easy on you. In reality both your stockwork and your photography really sucked.
Of course my shit stinks just like everyone's and I do have a high opinion of myself. I'll gladly compare my accomplishments, portfolio of work and resume with most anyone on AR including you and liddy2. Too bad if you don't like that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dave,

The reality, is, you are an arrogant prick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I learned to judge the composition and quality of photographs from Fred. You still don't know who he was. I'll give you a hint, he was the innovator of the "Fine Art Photography" movement and was one of the first five photographers brought into the Kodak Center For Creative Photography in Tuscon Arizona.
Nice camera. Exposures are extremely slow however. I used an 8x10 version at the Smithsonian Institution's National Gallery of Art. We had to sandbag the camera and wait till the middle of the night to avoid any vibrations in the museum. Exposure times were over an hour.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not everyone with a set of eyes has a legitimate knowledgeable opinion and I've told you what I learned from Fred.
Your opinion certainly doesn't rank with Fred's or many other photographers that I've met through the years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are of course entitled to an opinion. Your opinion just doesn't matter in the realm of "Fine Art".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It matters to the only one that I need it to matter to, and that is me.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is getting ridiculous!!

I took some pictures for a friend who was in a hurry to get them up. I told him they would not be the greatest. Outside it was close to 100 degrees, around 2pm and no clouds. I chose the inside option. I knew they would not be great.

Rich I see your comments about your 35mm and your new phone. I suggest you learn how to use them as I am thru being the whipping boy.

The only picture that remotely gives this rifle justice is dpcd's and even it does not compare to what it looks like in your hand. Tom did a tremendous job on it with a spectacular piece of wood Rich has been saving for years.

If you feel the need to comment on this post make it about the rifle not the crappy pictures.

lindy2 your last post says it all and I agree 100%

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shane, let it ride. Pompous A-Holes is what the IGNORE feature is all about.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks biebs, yours is one of the opinions that matters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich it has never been that you did not care enough to post yourself you just don't know how even though you have been shown how.

After this post I will be deleting any pictures I have taken for you on this post and any other post.

Get your Galaxy out and good luck. You will not have to do much to take a better picture than what I did.

quote:
I own Nikon 35mm cameras, and the new cellphone is a Galaxy 7.

Since NPD345 took the pictures you will have to direct your question to him.

I understand it is not rocket science, surgeons go to med school for nine years if that was your intent.

As far as posting myself, I simply do not care enough to do so here.

But, thanks for chiming in...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic piece of wood and serious craftmanship putting it together.

I can see that very well from the pictures!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Stunning wood grain and a nice satiny finish.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
due to an unknown issue, it appears that there will not be any pictures in the future of my custom rifles taken by NPD345.

Thanks for the compliments all...

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
due to an unknown issue

What? You know exactly what the issue is. npd345 was kind enough to take photos for you instead of your lazy ass taking them and he got thrown under the bus for it by you. Dick move on your part, like usual.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did no such thing. People were bitching about the pictures. I just said, take it up with him. But, that did not happen. Somehow it became my fault.

The few people who criticized them were the issue.

But, we do have resolution, don't we?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
due to an unknown issue, it appears that there will not be any pictures in the future of my custom rifles taken by NPD345.

Thanks for the compliments all...

Rich

Who cares.

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote