New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tom Burgess work?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Customer sent me a barreled action allesgely done up by Tom. Has Sunny Hils bottom meal, a sand blasted and cuastic bklued metal finish...some purple hues?

Nice M-21 action with very light weight barrel, markings on bottom of barrel has lots of numbers, kind of a distincive "quarter moon" stamped along with numbers.

Guarfd screw threads in action botched up...probably re tapped to 1/4 x 22

Not a bad gun and cerainly M-21's are desireable. But anyone have info that may help

Posts: 3462 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice M-21 action with very light weight barrel, markings on bottom of barrel has lots of numbers, kind of a distincive "quarter moon" stamped along with numbers.

Proof marks from over seas?

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No...I don't think the barrel was intsalled oerseas.

Buyer was told Burgess did the work. He was told that "qauarter moon" stamp' was Tom's signature. I'd like abnyone that knows to confirm that.

Thing is, it would be fairly easy to recreate

Posts: 3462 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the mystery is solved thanks to Jim Wisner.

The barrel is almost certainly a Half Moon...all the stampings jibe with Jim's input.

Most likely Tom has nothing to do with the poject. but the buyer still has one great product.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just recently purchased a Half Moon barrel, I can send you a pic of the stamp on the end, was watching that one on Gun Joker, I will see if i can find a link

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/954311601

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Baiar perhaps?

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend who knows Tom’s work well that is not a member of this forum sent me this.

1. The barrel appears to have been installed by Thos M Burgess. The stamping on the right side of the barrel shank is difficult to see but he stamped B with two numbers those being the month and year (two digits) he did the work. If I could see all the lettering then I could give a definitive answer.
2. The contour looks like Tom’s distinctive lw contour. Most likely a Half Moon barrel blank. If so Tom would stamp a crescent on the underside of the shank.
3. Neither the safety nor the bolt handle are his work. Definitely not!
4. The trigger guard & floorplate don’t look like Ted Blackburn’s work.
5. The trigger is either a Blackburn or a Canjar. A good look at the trigger is needed.

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
A friend who knows Tom’s work well that is not a member of this forum sent me this.

1. The barrel appears to have been installed by Thos M Burgess. The stamping on the right side of the barrel shank is difficult to see but he stamped B with two numbers those being the month and year (two digits) he did the work. If I could see all the lettering then I could give a definitive answer.
2. The contour looks like Tom’s distinctive lw contour. Most likely a Half Moon barrel blank. If so Tom would stamp a crescent on the underside of the shank.
3. Neither the safety nor the bolt handle are his work. Definitely not!
4. The trigger guard & floorplate don’t look like Ted Blackburn’s work.
5. The trigger is either a Blackburn or a Canjar. A good look at the trigger is needed.

There is a B on the right side of the barrel and there is a small 8 at what would be 11 o'clock to the B and there is a small 92 at what would be 4 o'clock to the B
The trigger housing has BLACKBURN on the left side (vertical)
The action is a Brno 21 and the spoon bolt handle has been replaced and has 3 checkered panels (on the ball).
The half-moon logo is on the underside (bottom) of the barrel....left of the moon is 6624T and right of the moon is 750 and right of that in larger font is 10T
On the left side of the barrel is: .270 Win.
There are no other markings other than what Brno put on the original action at the factory.

I bought the barreled action from a guy "that said" Tom Burgess did the work. Pictures of the barreled action can be found above on Gale's post. The barreled action was for sale at one time there.

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The story I got from the seller on the Gunbroker auction of the barreled action was:The Burgess marked and proofed barrel was a take-off from another Brno action. It had a Half Moon, Jim Baier barrel. The barrel, safety, bolt handle and bottom metal were installed by another person obviously work inferior to Burgess, the reason I passed on buying the outfit. Blackburn trigger. The seller was willing to let go of it for $1500.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1789 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More information from the friend above.

The numbers 8 and 92 on either side of the “B” indicate Tommy installed the barrel in August 1992. The “10T” means 1-10 twist. The numbers 6624T and 750 identify the specific barrel and steel lot of the Half Moon barrel. Those barrels were made by Jim Baiar pretty much to Tom’s specifications. They were made of 4340 steel.

I reviewed all the posts and Weibe says the TG&Fp is Sunny Hill. Can’t say because I am not familiar with the SH products but definitely not Burgess or Blackburn.

Again, the bolt handle and safety are definitely not Tom’s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well..all in all the barreled acion is not bad at all, the individual components are cerainly above average and the action alone is highly desireable.

Thanks to input from postings here, it's been a worthwhile learning experience

Thanks much

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whoever assemled the components.
The bolthandle is the original factory made Brno.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite true! Nicely checkered.