THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Square bridge mauser action pics. Large ring small thread.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Square bridge mauser action pics. Large ring small thread.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here are some pics of a large-ring small-thread action that I had on layaway. Thought you guys might like to see it, although I am the worst photographer of all time. The square bridge is added, but it seems to be done well. Commercial proofs on action. Made in 1912. Waffenfabrik Mauser etc. on left wall and top of front ring. Not sure what to do with it, but I've been talking to Mike McCabe about a 275 Rigby for a good long while now. It's not an intermediate with a long front ring, but it's from the right era, and would work well. The bottom metal looks very similar to 1909 Argie. It is serialed to the action though. The last action I will be be buying for a long time.

[/URL[URL=http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/71shooter/media/IMG_3953_zps84629a32.jpg.html] [/URL[URL=http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/71shooter/media/IMG_3958_zps9689a17b.jpg.html]

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very NICE!

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang that's nice, where do you find all these gems?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:

Here and there. Got this one from an ageing gunmaker (Under your nose in Washington State!) liquidating his action inventory, so that his family won't have to later.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim@IMReps: Some people collect rare paintings, others rare cars, we all have our little peccadillos, mine happens to be rare old Mauser actions, weird huh, that IMHO is one good looking action full of potential, cheers.
Ditto, great find!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Matt: A 275 would be just about perfect. Nice find!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:

Here and there. Got this one from an ageing gunmaker (Under your nose in Washington State!) liquidating his action inventory, so that his family won't have to later.

Does he have any more?!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although this action could be polished much better than it is, it would still look great if it were blued as it is polished.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thing still needs a fair amount of detailing. I found a fellow in Washington state that touches up lettering. Needs some work, but it will end up being pretty nice.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is the engraver?

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
That looks like a perfect candidate to make a rifle looking like this!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
tu2 Nice and Sevens has the right idea there!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys read my mind. Joel Dorleac posted pics of that thing on Nitro Express. Since the first time I saw it I've been thinking "Standard action version in 9.3x62." I have custom rifle A.D.D. One second I want this, then I sea a picture of something, and want that. My eyes are much bigger than my bank account!!!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:
Who is the engraver?

Dale Woody, 731-616-7457

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke to Dale Woody about touching up the lettering on this action. He said that the action would need to be annealed before he touched the front ring. I'm guessing that for work this delicate, having the metal dead soft would be easiest to deal with. He also said that he thought the lettering looked deep enough to him. It looks a little thin to me. What do you guys think?

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Wow, very nice!

I am no expert, by any means, but I think I would leave that lettering alone.

I presume you already have your eye on a long, commercial style cocking piece?

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sharp action . . . and that rifle Sevens posted is no slouch either. Nice stuff.

Mike

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
I spoke to Dale Woody about touching up the lettering on this action. He said that the action would need to be annealed before he touched the front ring. I'm guessing that for work this delicate, having the metal dead soft would be easiest to deal with. He also said that he thought the lettering looked deep enough to him. It looks a little thin to me. What do you guys think?
I agree with you. I've talked to Roger Kehr (Scrollcutter) about this very thing on one of my actions. I have not seen any "before and after" pictures of rollmarks that have been deepened by engraving. Anybody have some?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just make sure that whoever you get to do it has done it before, knows what they are doing and is comfortable doing it. I had it done on 1935 Chilean a number of years ago and it was a disaster.

Mike

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had some of the lettering chased on my 1908 7x57, no need to anneal because it wasn't cased on the outside. The engraver did not even flinch at the idea as he has done lots of them. He did the side rail and the ring.
He told me that you can sometimes get a hard spot top dead centre towards the rear of the front ring, like run over of the case from the lug area. Common on the 1909.

You can see the before shot of the side rail in my thread, 7x57. I'll post a close up shot of it soon. Ron Croxon did the job to perfection.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redoak8:

I presume you already have your eye on a long, commercial style cocking piece?

I bought a cocking piece and Prechtle-Rigby diopter peep a few months back.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The variety in these sporting actions is amazing. I have as similar Obendorf original sporter action,small shank long large ring, intermediate bolt, standard screw spacing, short mag. Its round on both bridges. Mine is dated 1910 on the receiver, but other wise marked as per CM's. However the bottom metal on mine is quite different, its original and like numbered to the receiver, but has the "military" button release.

Cheers
Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
The variety in these sporting actions is amazing. I have as similar Obendorf original sporter action,small shank long large ring, intermediate bolt, standard screw spacing, short mag. Its round on both bridges. Mine is dated 1910 on the receiver, but other wise marked as per CM's. However the bottom metal on mine is quite different, its original and like numbered to the receiver, but has the "military" button release.

Cheers
Foster

I would prefer an action such as yours, as that is exactly what Rigby used for the Majority of their early 275 rifles. Such actions are rare as hens teath. The 1909 Peruvian is similar, but the thumb cut is a little different. You have a real gem!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a purpose for the rear square bridge for an iron sighted gun? I assume that in the case of the scoped gun, the scope mounts would be level. Pardon me if I show my ignorance about commercial Mausers. I'm a lefty and they didn't make any that way in the old days.

Allan

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rear square bridge was/is intended for the attachment of scope mounts. However, square bridge actions were commonly used on open sighted rifles. I just like the looks of them on Rigby and Oberndorf style rifles. The Rigby pictured above is a great example.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice action; definitely 275 material. I have one just like it;

Posts: 17141 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote