THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Winchester M70 in 9.3x64 Brenneke
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester M70 in 9.3x64 Brenneke
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been thinking of building a rifle in 9.3x62 or 375 H&H on a M70 Featherweight rifle I have in my safe, but has not gotten started with my project.
After hunting in RSA last fall with my Ruger No1 in 8x68S, I wanted a rifle with a little more penetration. 220gr Woodleigh PP/ 2900fps failed to penetrate an oryx and a zebra. The animals fell fast, but I do like a exit wound on big game.

Some time ago, I was as fortunate to find this custom made Winchester M70 rifle at a gunshow in Lillestrøm, Norway. I am still doing som research on which gunsmith buildt the gun..

The rifle had a Zeiss C 1.5-4.5x18, with german no1 reticle. This scope has now found a new home on top of my Brno Zkk 600 in 416 Taylor, so I now have a Zeiss Z 1.5-6x42, german reticle no1 mounted on the 9.3mm

I have noe previous experience with the 9.3x64, but is planning to take it to RSA next year,loaded with 320gr Woodleigh RN and FMJ. My main goal for the trip is eland and blue wildebeest, so some extra bulletweight could come in handy Smiler

Posts: 28 | Location: Northwest Coast, Norway | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 9.3x64 and my hunting buddy is building one now. I also think it is a nice match to you 8x68. I like the 8x68 very much, although I never owned one and couldn't find space alongside .30 Magnums. THey are quite popular here and in Namibia. I can tell you that it is enough gun for what you hunted. I must tread carefully I suppose, but I will say that in my opinion there are bullet designs that will provide the penetration that you require in 8mm.

But this thread is about your new custom rifle and it looks really nice. Well done. A nice rifle for Eland and even buffalo. That barrel looks quite long, but not out of place. What is the length?

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An 8x68S, a 416 Taylor and how a 9.3x64???

Greetings my brother from another mother.

I took my 8x68S to SA two years ago using 200gr Barnes Original X bullets at about 2950 FPX and only failed to get penetration on 2 angling shots into a Blue Wildebeast. Everythign else I got full penetration on Including a very nice Eland.

I too have been lusting after a 9.3x64 (Already have a Sauer in 9.3x62) and am thinking of converting my CZ550 in 9.3x62 to a 64. I was thinking it would not only be the ticket in Africa for some of the larger non DG species but I bet it would be just dandy on Elg and moose in Norway.

Since I already own a taylor as well I think I need to come hunt in Scandanavia with you . LOL

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1044 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used both the 9.3x62 and 9.3x64 quit a bit, and shot considerable plainsgame and Dangerous game with both.

I like both calibers but my choice is the 9.3x62 and with a 24 or 26 inch barrel I can come within a 100 FPS of the 9.3x64. I can do that with less recoil and boom!

The 9.3x62 is one of the most awesome calibers that I have ever used..I can see no difference in it and the 9.3x64 or 375 on game anmals, and it does it all in such a gun thats like shooting a 30-06...

One more thing, I have never talked to anyone that has used the 9.3x62 that didn't consider it in the same light as I do...If I need a bigger hammer then I jump up to the 404 Jefferys.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote