THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Anybody have Connections @ Champlin's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody have Connections @ Champlin's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just purchased a custom build by Champlin.
It's a 416 Rem Mag Electroless Nickled BRNO 602 Action, SS Octagon barrel w/Integral Rib, Sights & sling mount. Champlins Custom made QD Scope Mounts. Custom McMillan Stock & Incredible Custom Circassian Turkish Stock for trophy room display.

Anyway's.. here's my problem.. I've contacted Champlins with rifle's sr.# info, even their catalog originally listing the rifle for sale (with minimal specifications). I was asking for original build specs, original sale price when new. My catalog from seller was listing the gun when sold by them used which is how he bought it from them.

I've had absolutely no response from them, even when I emailed a couple weeks later inquiring if there was a fee involved for the search....... Crickets...

Anybody able to help me out??

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, a first class business doesn't let itself get that busy.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call them on the phone and ask for George Caswell.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would you feel that you would be entitled to that information? Seems to me that would be between Champlins and the original buyer.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato, Curiosity.. Like what barrel maker, who in their shop built it, Did Mcmillon bed it??... When was it made?? What was the original cost? I know what it sold for the 2nd time around. Roughly what would it be worth today.. I didn't ask for any personal information.. Although I know the guy I bought it from whacked 3 Buff, Giraffe, Sable, Lion and various PG with it. Any history or information would interest me.. Granted its not a 100y/o Brit double, but to me it's interesting info.. Even though this is a no nonsense working rifle, the craftsmanship and utilitarian beauty is incredible along with the slickest action I've ever felt. First 5 shot group with Swift A-frames was one raggety hole @ 100yds.

Duane... If they're truly that busy... Just reply & say so....

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George is currently hunting grouse in Michigan and won't be back until sometime next week. Also bear in mind that this is not a revenue generating task that you are asking for. It is a one man show. Be patient.

Posts: 414 | Location: nebraska | Registered: 30 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If the rifle was built at Champlins, then JJ put it together. I can't remember whose barrels then used.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand and can fully appreciate why you would want the info, I just don't think you necessarily have a right to it. OTOH if Champlin's wants to tell you, that's their business. It might not matter to their past customer, but then again, it might.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but if I bought a custom rifle at X cost, then I might not want everyone to know what X cost was.

Just as an example, I buy and sometimes sell rare coins costing multiples of these rifles. Sometimes the previous sale records are public (auction results primarily) and sometimes they are by private treaty. If I'm buying, knowing what the seller paid would/could be valuable information and the opposite would be true if I were selling. Just as an example, I'm considering a rare foreign coin now. Purely by happen chance, I found out approximately what the seller was paid by the current owner. That told me, in this case, that the current seller was working pretty close and an offer would likely not be accepted. In this case, not really a big deal, but in most transactions, any additional information is valuable to one side or the other.

At any rate, it's none of my business and I hope you enjoy your rifle, sounds like a great piece.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everytime I have called them, they are helpful and answer my questions. Forget email and call them. Or go see them.

Posts: 10207 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
In any business, customer service and positve word of mouth separates merely good companies from great companies... I have always heard great things about Champlin's and their ability to evaluate and do quality work on fine rifles. Maybe this is an anomaly and they will get back to you. Or maybe they are merely a good company...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
MopaneMike. The rifle is fine and shoots superbly. Call them after the "retail" season is over for historical information. It's so easy for an email to be skimmed over or lost in the busiest time of the year. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5120 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Champlins is basically George Caswell. He is an avid bird hunter and this is bird season and also preparation time for hunting season and the big shows. You probably could not have picked a worse time to ask for this info. Give him a couple months and call. George is a great guy and will try to help I'm sure. He probably will want to get permission from the original buyer before he answers some of the questions you have. I think that is the proper thing for him to do.
Maurice Ottmar did a lot of work for George some years ago. If your rifle has the Dragoon style trigger guard, it is quite likely Ottmar at least stocked it.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I would call in February or March.

Or drop in if you are driving through on a weekday.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George is back from his grouse hunting trip. I never have a problem getting him on the phone. He doesn't usually get in till around 11-12 a.m. Always had time to take care of any request I have had. Seems strange you have not been able to get ahold of him. I'd call late in the morning.

Dutch

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
LJS: Maurice Ottmar did a lot of work for George some years ago. If your rifle has the Dragoon style trigger guard, it is quite likely Ottmar at least stocked it.
Or Clayton Nelson, who was with the firm when it was called Champlin & Haskins, prior to George.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had an e-mail response from George!! But when you call, there is no end to his knowledge and willingness to assist...same with JJ his great gunsmith/maker in the shop!!
CALL EM!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2573 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can only write like the others..Call them!.

Me too have had so called "problems" with Champlins not replying on emails. I just learn from time to time not all people have yet adapted to this computer age.
Does this make Champlins bad?. No..Georges guns are often better then their descriptions.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
I have never had an e-mail response from George!! But when you call, there is no end to his knowledge and willingness to assist...same with JJ his great gunsmith/maker in the shop!!
CALL EM!!
Cheers,

My experience as well

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If JJ built it, I'm sure it's fine. If George isn't calling you back, I'm sure he's busy. Mopaniman, you really need to chill!

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem calling George. He is usually on the phone. Judy or Tom will answer and give you to George or ask you to call back when he is off the phone. He will answer your questions if he has the information. He'll be at DSC and will answer your questions. He is never to busy to talk to any customer, past or present.

Dutch