Find
Notify
Tools

NEW ACTION BUILD.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted
I f you were going to have an action made or make one yourself what would be the things you would want most?

simple trigger , useable safety that locks the bolt (for me no mod 70 swing) ability to open bolt on safe, classic lines, light weight, sized for round to be used , ready to feed and function for your chosen round when you get it.

this is some of my list what would you guys like?

looking to make my own or commision it made

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the style category: extended upper and lower tangs, Oberndorf style trigger guard, double square bridge for Talley scope rings, checkered bolt release.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
agree on tally bases double square bridge . no mod 70 safty for me I cant reach it. for my kind of hunting. extendid tang does look cool.
anything else ?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
I f you were going to have an action made or make one yourself what would be the things you would want most?

simple trigger , useable safety that locks the bolt (for me no mod 70 swing) ability to open bolt on safe, classic lines, light weight, sized for round to be used , ready to feed and function for your chosen round when you get it.

looking to make my own or commision it made

1. http://www.ruger.com/products/...traLight/models.html

2. What 22 WRF said less safety

3. Remington 700 w/custom bottom metal

4. CZ

5. Custom lightened M17 or P14 w/square bridges

The Ruger's got everything on your wish list, plus integral scope mounts and CRF.

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
True there are actions available simi custom builds to be done here but the name on the side of this one will be mine. looking at about 3500 bucks per just thinking long as I was up just as easy to build 50 as 1. it will be like I think it should be but trying to see what everyone else might want.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One exactly like this would be what I would like

Simple trigger
Controlled round feed
Sized to cartridge
3 position mod 70 style safety
Integral scope bases
Biggest change to what is pictured is in Left hand

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine would be much the same; double square bridge mauser action, etc...been down the road once with a deal that did not work out.

Second time around a bought a Granite Mountain Arms (they actually produce and ship them) sent it to Ralf Martini dancing and will finally get what I wanted.

If you can make and inventory a good product, they can be sold! Smiler

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwishooter2:
One exactly like this would be what I would like

An rare sighting of an Harre Model 49.

About the best M70 type receiver[c-ring] ever made.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
for a deer rifle.

1. Copy exactly a g.33/40 action
2. Put a model 70 style safety on it
3. Put a blackburn trigger and bottom metal on it.
4. Talley mounts and rings.
5. 7 x 57 lightweight barrel
6. Lightweight wood stock
7. Lightweight scope

go hunting.

Ya, what he said!!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
KIWISHOOTER2 JJS TRAX That is very close to what I have in mind I think mine will be more model 30 than model 70 but that is all about the safety I can have one do the same thing as the swing type but be ambi and off the bolt where I can reach it. that is a very classy looking little action any more pictures and description. simple effective classy

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
First, something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg would be nice, but here's the features I would like:

- Double Square Bridge (that accepts standard QR scope mounts)
- CRF
- Smooth, straight bolt handle
- two position thumb safety (I know ... it's what I like)
- Thumb cut out (I just like how it looks)
- A simple trigger with as few pieces as possible
- Lightweight
- front action screw screws into recoil lug
- Minimal logos and markings on the action
- No plastic/polymer parts!!!

I feel like I'm describing a Mauser 98 more or less ...

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
1. Copy exactly a g.33/40 action
2. Model 70 style safety
3. Blackburn bottom metal.
4. Dual Dove tail bases
5. 7x57mm barrel (half octogan)
6. Turkish Walnut stock
7. 2.5x8 Leupold scope

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Well, if I were to have a action built for me I would have to change my plans according to what im building.

For instance, if im building a all out hunting rifle. In all honestly there are only things I can find wrong with a Remington action. the trigger, which is easily fixed with a Jewell or Timney. And the amount of metal on the bolt face so I could use it for larger caliber rifles or non-belted cases. But like I said a hunting rifle, so it would be according to what im building. but things like round capacity and feeding capabilities would play a role in my decision. Being able to feed any round I want and the securiyt of a 3+1 in my rifle would make a real nice rifle to have in whatever caliber I choose.

Now if I want a accurate long range rig, I would go with something with a left ejection port right hand bolt type deal. Drop box 5 round magazine. easily adjustable trigger without having to remove it from the stock.

The perfect action you ask? A remington 700 with a Jeweel trigger and enough meat around the bolt face to hold any round I choose to make it into and enough capacity in the magazine to make me comfortable in hunting any game I choose.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

simple trigger, usable safety that locks the bolt (for me no mod 70 swing) ability to open bolt on safe, classic lines, light weight, sized for round to be used , ready to feed and function for your chosen round when you get it.

looking to make my own or commission it made

Call Nesika Bay. They offer many styles with lots of options.

http://www.nesika.com/

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Homebrewer, I'll have to disagree with you on this. Nesika were ok, but overpriced at one time. A lot of the Remington clone guys have passed them by and at a cheaper price. With the amount of people in the clone business you would be a fool to go that way.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
- Double Square Bridge (that accepts standard QR scope mounts)- tally or even weaver
- CRF
- Smooth, straight bolt handle- slightly oversize ball on the end- also one piece with the bolt body
- two position thumb safety (I know ... it's what I like)-I prefer this with a bolt lock feature seperate.
- Thumb cut out (I just like how it looks)- you should be ablr to get both thumbs in the action
- A simple trigger with as few pieces as possible- yes and should come from factory to my spec.
- Lightweight- sized dia and leingth apropriate to ctg used
- front action screw screws into recoil lug
- Minimal logos and markings on the action-absolute minimal
- No plastic/polymer parts!!!- none at all

plus this should feed and function flawlessly with the load demensions I prefer ready to barell and stock as is.

love it so far how much should this retail for?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not buy a new action that has a thumbcut.
Even with older actions, I pass up building on the g33/40 in favor of the commercial Brno21.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't anyone care about bolt throw?

Posts: 162 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryce Dillabough:

leingth or turn?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, that's why so many nice customs are built on A-Bolts. Not.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:

I'm just saying....If we are talking about a dream action why not have it all. The accuracy of the Model 70 platform and the bolt turn of a Mark V or A-bolt.

Posts: 162 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like that Harre Model 49!

So, how would one obtain one? anybody know?

Posts: 160 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
for me it would have to be a Sako 75 no better action available for a hunting rifle IMHO

Deer Management Training, Mentoring & DSC 2 Witnessing

Please PM or deermanagementservices@gmail.com for details

Dama International: The Fallow Deer Project

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm just saying....If we are talking about a dream action why not have it all. The accuracy of the Model 70 platform and the bolt turn of a Mark V or A-bolt.
it is doable if that were a major concern. can cut it about in half

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

it is doable if that were a major concern. can cut it about in half

I think for hunting rifles and dangerous game rifles it is a concern for many shooters. The shorter that vertical throw the faster and easier you can load that next round. Not as much of a concern for the target shooting group, but i like to be able to take some of my hunting rifles to the range or competition and have the best of both worlds in one action.

One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uwave:

This is the mob in NZ that makes them.

Brian Harre's contact details are:

Harre & Co Ltd
PO Box101-883 NSMC Auckland NZ
harreandco@ihug.co.nz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And, a design that would lend itself to adding Double Set Triggers to it, in case I wanted to build a 300 H&H or 6,5x68S for plains game.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I would want is only two things:

1. I would want to look at the action and read, "Dakota Model 76, Sturgis, South Dakota."
2. I would want to see a serial number that told me that the action was built before Don Allen died.

That would do it for me.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7mmMagnum:
quote:

Harre & Co Ltd
harreandco@ihug.co.nz

Are those actions readily available in New Zealand?

I wonder if we could get Mr. Kiff and Mr. Harre together for a visit!!!! sofa

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
love it so far how much should this retail for?

$500 bucks would be nice, then we could put some money into other quality parts like the stock, sights, barrel, etc and have something left over to pay for a hunt with. Plus, having the airlines lose your rifle becomes much scarier as the cost of your rifle increases.

Now, being that I came up with the idea for that action, I'll get it for free right? Big Grin

Regarding bolt throw, I like the 90 degrees. I can't say I've even seen a 60 degree bolt throw with a claw extractor either.

While we're at it and my creative juices are flowing, why not have the only marking on the action be the serial number. The actions could be called a "Serial Action" because the serial number is the only thing on the action and we would be known for it. Our motto, "No logos, no nonsense." Any other important info that we have to put on the action could either go below the stock line or inside the trigger guard.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
Originally posted by 7mmMagnum:
quote:

Harre & Co Ltd
harreandco@ihug.co.nz

Absolutely! They keep them on the shelf in between the hens teeth & the rocking horse shit! rotflmo Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regarding bolt throw, I like the 90 degrees. I can't say I've even seen a 60 degree bolt throw with a claw extractor either.

60deg.bolt CRF claw extractor. and was available in 9,3x64B! .... a very slick action.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
60deg.bolt CRF claw extractor. and was available in 9,3x64B! .... a very slick action.

I stand corrected ... any pictures of the bolt face? It doesn't appear to have the long claw extractor like the Mauser 98.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Harre & Co Ltd
harreandco@ihug.co.nz

[/QUOTE]

Actually I don't think Brian is making them anymore.......Kiwi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
I would not buy a new action that has a thumbcut.
Even with older actions, I pass up building on the g33/40 in favor of the commercial Brno21.

Trax,

IIRC, respectfully submitted, the half-round cut in the left receiver wall is not a thumb cut at all. According to Paul Mauser's patent application for the cut it was a gas escape route only. Regardless, I am with you-no cut out on this build for strength reasons alone. I am assuming that was the impetus behind your choice, eh?

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I told my Grandson to watch this thread as I don't believe I'll live long enough to see its completion.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine would be what Kiwishooter has pictured except:

Extend the tang more and put a proper english double shotgun style tang safety on it, get rid of the winchester style swing safety. My tang safety would have two positions, Fire and Safe with the bolt locked. I wouldn't have the intermediate stop which unlocks the bolt. I feel it's unneeded, people have been cycling actions to unload for a over a hundred years with the safety off, point it in the correct direction and you won't shoot anyone. It's a firearm, it can't be made idiot proof nor should that be our goal. My tang safety would also block the firing pin when on. I don't know how it would be done, but that's what I would want.

Shave about a pound off it, again I don't know how you would do it but that's what I'd want.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A commercial 98 Mauser as bought by the British gunmakers in .416 Rigby and .318 WR length. I like the double square bridge. Original trigger, original 'flag" safety, no drilling, tapping or milling of the bridges, since I don't like scopes on classic rifles. Pretty simple, but to me, the ultimate in class and classic actions.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a tang mounted safety, that makes the rifle safe by decocking it, like the Blaser, would be neat.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd probably quit looking after I found a Sako L461.