THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    To scallop or not to scallop on my Ruger RSM?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To scallop or not to scallop on my Ruger RSM?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm in the process of refinishing the stock on my 375 H&H Ruger RSM. I've stripped the stock of the factory finish and horrible checkering. It has mineral spirits on it in the pic below to show the grain. I replaced the factory metal crossbolt last year with ebony plugs over a 1/4x20 threaded stainless steel rod.

Question - should I scallop the in front and behind the magazine well on both sides? Or will that be to aggressive for this style of stock? Has anyone refinished their RSM stock and made major mods?

I'm going to have Custom Diamonds checker it.

I'm also installing a red recoil pad.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I dislike the Ruger bolt handle shape and stock cut for it. I put a longer straight teardrop handle and filled the stock cutout with a nice piece of ebony to match the forearm tip. Then just thinned the stock overall and installed Pachmyer Decellerator pad. If I could have figured a way to modify the safety and trigger guard I would probably still have it as it was a terrific shooter. It was also a 416Rigby.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Not the prettiest rifles, but extremely functional and great shooters!

Mine is also bedded and has a trigger job. The trigger from the factory is 100% certified POS.

I also used Warne rings instead of the factory rings; much better quality and the factory rings were not 100% inline with the barrel centerline.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
If you're just asking opinions, I'd say scallop it on both sides, or at least in front of the magazine box for sure. I've always felt the forends on these rifles were a bit too thick and could use some trimming.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
I've always felt the forends on these rifles were a bit too thick and could use some trimming.

Especially for a 375.

I'll be interested to see how this project goes. Keep us posted.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had my RSM 375 H&H redone by Justin Sip. He thinned the forearm area and took the squareness out and then hand checkered it. I have received more compliments on that rifle than my others. It also shoots sub MOA. The checkering pattern is close to the original but
done by hand, 22 LPI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin knows his stuff, for sure.

Posts: 20089 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote