New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who'd a thought it!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As a young man my LOP with a rifle was 14" then at some point it was 13-7/8s, today at 88 its 13" How and when and why it happened I have no clue, but it has left a lot of sawdust on the floor and new recoil pads or metal butt plates in its wake.

Add to that I shot all manor of big bores. I was born naked and bald headed shot the 470 a lot, I guess I will go out naked and Im near bald now and I shoot 250 Savage and 25-35 except I manage my 06s on the big stuff "sometimes"..Gett'n old shonuff ain't for Sisays!! faint

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I hope I'm going as strong as you at 88. Keep on keepin' on.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think we shrink a little and also learn not to "crawl" the stock.

My joints are all a little stiffer so I've learned to place the rifle butt on my shoulder and my head on the stock where it's comfortable.

Yes, it ain't for sissies. That's for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yup!! know the feeling - my 22's get more use every day

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ray, we all come into this world fat, bald and crying so I guess there is no harm going out the same way.

But I learned a long time ago that most people shoot rifles better, and quicker, with a lot shorter LOP than they think they need.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir and many forget how thick a parka or down coat wool underwear and wool shirts are and most big game hunting is in bad weather..or at least cold mornings and evenings during the hunters witching hour...

Ican shoot a 13 inch rifle in 10 below with clothes on and I can shoot the same rifle in 100-degree weather in Africa, but I strangle with a 14 inch pull even with a shotgun these days. tool me a lifetime to figure that out!!It came to light when I discovered Id been shooting my old mod 70 30-06 was 13 inches when I bought and never knew that until a week or two ago! duh!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote