Find
Notify
Tools

Rifles Inc competition?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted
I'm on a mission to find a Rifles Inc custom...or one like it. Can anyone point me to other custom rifle makers in the same class and price that make super lighweight hunting rifles like the Rifles Inc Strata?
Thanks.

Posts: 1307 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the over $3k range:

H.S. Precision 2000 PHL, 5.75lbs. Haven't read anything about them. (https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/index.php/firearms/hunting-rifles/phl.html)

NULA (New Ultra Light Arms) model 20 and 24. (Which I've read are the first and best. Very fine rep for accuracy. (http://newultralightarms.com)

MG Arms Inc Ultra light. Pretty much copies Rifles inc approach with 700 actions. (http://www.mgarmsinc.com/MGA-UltraLight-Rifle.html)

Here's the under $2k's:

Kimber Montana and Mountain ascent. I've shot a 5lb 2oz Montana in 308. It was accurate with 150's, but you have to hold consistently when you shoot. I think this applies to all ultralights. (http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/rifle-family?layer&corporate_rifle_family=202)

Forbes Rifles LLC. Close copy of NULA, but with crappy barrels. I hear you might get one that shoots, or you might not. Same with Kimbers, but I'd buy a Kimber before I'd buy one of these. I've considered one of these, and if it didn't shoot, have Pacnor rebarrel it. (http://www.forbesriflellc.com)

There you go. I know there are a couple more out there, but these are the ones I've looked into before. After shooting a Montana in 308, I wouldn't think I'd have an ultralight in any caliber over 257 Roberts. If I didn't despise breaks, I would be an ultralight fan.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Being in the sheep world for a while I can attest to the fine accuracy of NULA rifles! HS rifles are gems as well.

Being an owner of a 308 Kimber Montana pretty much tells me you have to be a handloader and find what powder and oal works for your rifle! It took me a bit but I love it now.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels, Texas or McWhorter Rifles.

www.hillcountryriffles.com

http://www.mcwhorterrifles.com

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7526 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Thank You for all the great information!
I've got some research to do...

Posts: 1307 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Melvin Forbes may have been the first to use Carbon fiber ultra-lite stocks. I believe may have even invented the first Carbon fiber stocks. He will be retiring before too long. His rifles hold their value. I don't know if that can be said about the rest of the field. Kimber pretty much copied the basic principles Melvin's design, cut added a claw extractor. Melvine's rifle have long magazines, so you can have more room in load development. The short action magazine is a little over 2.9", and the standard is over 3.4". The shirt action (model 20) makes a great 284 win, due to the longer magazine.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
If you can find one on the used market a Remington 700 titanium is pretty nice. They can be pricey because of the demand. Of course if your looking at custom, price is a relative thing. Never could figure out why they quit making them.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark V® Outfitter® RC

$3,100.00

5 1/2 pounds in the 6 lug action for 30/06 size cases

Have seen the Outfitters (they are custom shop rifle) in 300 Wby shoot lovely little 3 shot triangle groups in 300 Wby

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McWhorter and Bansner also fall into the class of lightweight customs.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
McWhorter and Bansner also fall into the class of lightweight customs.

Mark Bansner is now heading up production of Legendary Arms Works. They use his "Hightech" stocks and a copy of the Ed Brown 704 action. LAW's lightest rifle come in at a little over 6.5lbs. If their introductory lineup proves to be successful, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lighter version.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of his Bansner Ultimate Rifles being restocked now. It's in 340 Wby, so it has a bit of an attitude :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 05 November 2015 03:36 Hide Post
I have one of his Bansner Ultimate Rifles being restocked now. It's in 340 Wby, so it has 2020 a bit of an attitude :-)

no no this is to easy - quiet quiet, bite tongue, bite harder Roll Eyes homer diggin Whistling

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your a stones throw away from mel forbes.Go see him.He is very interesting to talk to!

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My $1000 piece of crap Kimber 270 just a month ago.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kurtbe:
Your a stones throw away from mel forbes.Go see him.He is very interesting to talk to!

Where is Mel Forbes located?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Morgantown/Granville Exit of 79

Give him a call.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
If you keep an eye out, you can find a Rifles Inc. for a steal. Truly a great rifle, light weight and very accurate. I am confident this one will bring me many great memories as it did for its former owner.

A 300 Weatherby.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
I will keep an eye out! Thanks.
Nice rifle! Amazing to see a scoped and loaded rifle under 6.5 pounds!

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Lex at Rifles, Inc. does great work. I can't speak of the others mentioned.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Lex at Rifles, Inc. does great work. I can't speak of the others mentioned.

He does, I have been fortunate to own three of them, a 308, a 243 ( not a strata ) and a 300 WM.

I have a uniform wearing member of the family - took him to SAAM class, ( I had a client bail at last mminute ), his rifle malfunctioned, actually the scope did. SAAM has a way of finding out whether your equipment is up to the job, even if you don't need the shooting skills touch up.

I loaned him my 300WM, he was a little " no way I'm shooting 200 rounds thru a sub six pound 300WM"..... I preserved, and he tried it.

Last day of class, he shot a VERY nice aoudad, 400 plus yards, DRT. I thought he was gonna die from excitement. He loved that rifle! SO...... I had decent donor action, made a deal with Lex, and he got a real nice box under the tree that year!

Seriously if you've not shot one of these, ( Hill Country makes a good rifle too ) you need to try one. Very light, not very hard kick ( good muzzle brake) and shoots great to boot. I have put mine thru several continents worth of shooting, loaned them out for SAAM class, and they are all three still bughole shooting irons.

I can't speak for the other rifles in this thread, I have had some experience with them, not all good. I've never seen a bad Rifles Inc gun, not a bad Hill Country gun either.

The fact that both have ranges right outside the shop, is a huge plus. Plus do enough rifles, that the weak points have been eliminated. Breaks my heart to see a high dollar custom rifle, first day at SAAM, get shelved because it either broke, or won't shoot small enough groups to facilitate learning.

PS - if you watch Gunbroker.com, you might see one sometimes. Calling or emailing Lex might also get you something made on spec off the shelf.

Said 300WM in Namibia

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 347 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boxhead,

how can you live with the shame...?

wave

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread didn't make my choices any easier.

While it is not a lightweight style hunter, I am kicking around having a rifle built that is somewhat similar to a M40A! to be used both as a semi longer range shooter and a hunting rifle. I was going to talk with Hill Country and Rifles Inc at the Dallas Safari Show about building it on a Model 70 versus the Remington action and in 30-06 caliber.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TexKD: I have a 270 by Rifles Inc using a model 70 action. It is wonderfully accurate and a pleasure to use although it is not a super lightweight. I'm sure Lex will do it for you.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you LJS ^^^.

I just checked to see if Rifles Inc is going to be at DSC this year and the answer is yes. It is going to be one of my first stops. Smiler I don't want the really lightweight style anyway. And especially not for this rifle.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
His "Classic" is a 7 to 7 1/2 lb rifle. That's the one I like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a MG Arms Lightweight in 375 H&H that is under 6.5lbs scoped, slung and loaded. With the brake, it is a pussycat....like shooting a standard weight 30-06, even with heavy loaded 260gr Accubonds. His rifles are quite accurate as well. I know Kerry is not well liked in some circles...but my rifle is outstanding. Matter of fact, I bought it right here from a member about 5 years ago for $950. I also have two of Mark Bansners rifles and without a doubt are top shelf and are proven to be among the most accurate lightweights made. Like any of the top shelf builders, they are not cheap. I remember the last few years Mark was building them he was getting over 6K for them. The newer model Kimbers, for the money are interesting as well. Don't overlook the Colt Light rifles either...not made any more but are still on the gun sites. I have one in 270 Winchester and it is quite light and is very accurate. I have a Remmy Titanium in 270 I like better and its a shame the prices have skyrocketed on them.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Curious, anybody know which "match grade ss barrel" mfg Rifles Inc uses?

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
Curious, anybody know which "match grade ss barrel" mfg Rifles Inc uses?

The ones I have are Lilja. Not saying he won't use others, but it doesn't really matter - if it won't shoot, Lex won't ship it.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 347 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Funny story. I had a 300 Win built by Charlie Sisk back in '04. When I had him build it I was disappointed Charlie used Lilja instead of Krieger and Broughtons............

Experience trumps Google all the time.........

Fucker still shoots- this was shot in the summer by a fellow working up/tweaking my load for me.....(it's a POI group- rifle cooled in his house between shots)

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
All of mine from Rifles Inc are Lilja's as well. Lex may have a couple on his website for sale. Im a lefty, so it is a given I am waiting 7-8 months on a rifle, but you can find them in the classifieds here from time to time and him directly. After all, time is money.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote