THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Jarrett .280 AI Rem 700 action-Coup de Mort #76
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jarrett .280 AI Rem 700 action-Coup de Mort #76
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted
Date of original delivery...5/5/2003

Jarrett Coup de Mort #76.........$5025
Remington RH BDL action.........$650
Jarrett SS barrell .2840 Dia 1-10 twist, #4 taper.
Mcmillan stock, Ultimate Hunter, Black, Lop 13.5'
Metal finish, Black
Shilen Trigger, 2.5 lbs
Rifle tuned with 140gr load
20rds 140gr loads
Muzzle break kit.......$75
4-12x50 Swarovski..............$818
Excise tax.....................$460

Total..........................$7,091

-------------------------

Hey Guys,

Two things to point out. First, I am not the original owner of this gun . Second, the current Swaro scope is not the original. Finally, I only paid a fraction of the cost for this gun, <50%, used and I acquired it with several hundred dollars worth of custom loaded 140gr and 160gr ammunition hanloaded for this particular gun.

(Members had expressed interest in knowing more about the background and costs of custom guns which is why I included the original purchase details.)

More importantly..this gun more than lives up to Jarrett's reputation. I would consider myself a marginal shooter at best. However, I have shot sub .5 Moa groups at 100yds with this gun on more occasions than I have with any other single rifle than I have ever shot.

Additionally, and most significant to me, I have taken numerous deer with this gun from 50-200yds all with simple one shot kills. My largest being a 16pt non-typical, way over the the 150" mark.

Happy to answer any questions.

JC

BTW..for reference, the attached target is a 100yd group shot with factory Nosler 140gr AB ammo. What makes it particularly impressive is, that the target literally depicts the first three shells out of the box of ammo. There was no "cherry picking" so to speak at all. Opened the box of ammo, which had never been shot in the gun before, and the first three shots tucked right in like that...no handloading etc..just premium factory ammo.

Finally, a small north texas buck I took with this rifle...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Jcchartboy. I was one that asked for additional information rather than just pictures.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
jcchartboy,
Great looking rifle, any chance off a photo off the muzzle break.
Thanks
warren

Posts: 24 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wmunro:
jcchartboy,
Great looking rifle, any chance off a photo off the muzzle break.
Thanks
warren

I have to admit that I don't see the need for a break on a .280AI. Accordingly, the break sits in my safe and I have never shot the gun with it.

Here is a pic..

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a good shooter and a good buy. I just love the 280 AI, that cartridge is a shooter. Had you purchased the rifle full price from Jarrett I would have thought you were foolish. Jarrett makes great rifles at a premium that they are not worth. It baffles me that they charge what they do for their rifles and people actually pay for them. There are scads of custome makers that make every bit the rifle Jarrett does for a fraction of the cost and they are decent people to deal with unlike Kenny and his arrogant son Jay.

Congrats again on your rifle, I like the green splatter on the stock, adds a nice look.

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
silwane,
I agree!
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
silwane,
I agree!
Butch

Again Butch and I see eye to eye on this one.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silwane:
Congrats on a good shooter and a good buy. I just love the 280 AI, that cartridge is a shooter. Had you purchased the rifle full price from Jarrett I would have thought you were foolish. Jarrett makes great rifles at a premium that they are not worth. It baffles me that they charge what they do for their rifles and people actually pay for them. There are scads of custome makers that make every bit the rifle Jarrett does for a fraction of the cost and they are decent people to deal with unlike Kenny and his arrogant son Jay.

Hey Silwane,

Believe me, I know very well all the costs that go into building a rifle like regardless of what the name of the builder is. You can rest assured that you would have an extremely difficult time putting this gun together for the price I paid for it no matter who built it...Add in the fact that I got hundreds of dollars worth of custom tuned handloads developed by Jarrett specifically for this gun for free with the gun and I assure you it was an awesome deal Jarret name on the barrel or not...

JC

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congrats again on your rifle, I like the green splatter on the stock, adds a nice look.

The stock was actually black when I bought it...I agree with you 100%.....that is why I had the green added after I bought it!

JC

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Here is a 16pt buck I took at 197 yds this fall with this rifle while hunting with another AR member.

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JC,
I also have a Jarret "series rifle". It is Coup de Mort #57, in 338 Jarrett, which is basically a 338 Rem Ultramag; built on an expanded 8mm Rem Mag case. It's hard to beat a Jarrett, for sure.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
JC,
I also have a Jarret "series rifle". It is Coup de Mort #57, in 338 Jarrett, which is basically a 338 Rem Ultramag; built on an expanded 8mm Rem Mag case. It's hard to beat a Jarrett, for sure.

Biebs,

My rifle is about 20 guns later in the series....Does yours look pretty the same as mine? Any pics?

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks the same, right down to the lettering on the barrel in silver script. I have the brake on mine now, but would probably remove it for a hunt.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Since we're talking 280 Ackleys I thought I'd post a pic of mine.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a very interesting stock finish!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Prewar,

What was the approximate cost for Ed to do the bolt, safety, and Dakota bottom metal conversion?

JC

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
You can ask Ed direct but going from memory I think the bottom metal was 250, shroud 250, welded up rear tang (this is a Rem 700 action) 50, bolt handle 250. He really did a top notch job and this rifle is a shooter too, like yours. 24" Lilja stainless barrel.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
I would like to have similar work done on my action. Unfortunately, I would also then have to have the gun recoated, and the engraved on the barrel repeated, if I wanted to return everything to original.

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jcchartboy, who did you have add the green splatter to the stock?

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jcchartboy, who did you have add the green splatter to the stock?

Jarrett...

When I purchased the rifle it had the break on it. However, the owner did not have the thread protector. Since Jarrett has used several types of brakes I sent it back to them to have a new thread protector made and coated. At the same time I had the the green added...changing the stock from a simple black texture to what they now would call a "reverse backswamp".

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must not have the same sense of values as you fellows do. I have plain old factory rifles that I have smoothed up a bit and I've never been limited by the rifle. It is usually my limited woodsmanship or poor markmanship that gets me in trouble. How do these custom riflemakers entice people to pay these prices? Are the customers trying to buy into an exclusive club? I think PT Barnum was right.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Vol-
People buy these for the same reasons some prefer to drive Mercedes Benz cars rather than Chevrolets. Having something built by a skilled craftsman that can truly outperform instills pride of ownership and gives the owner untold amounts of pleasure. Something wrong with that?

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Custom rifles are expensive. Are they worth it?? Well to some they must be because there is certainly a market for them. I love them if you can come up with the dough.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good morning. I am new to this site. Looks like a great one. I have a couple of Jarretts now and looking for a few more for my custom collection. Please give me first offer on this one if you ever decide to sell it. For all other members please keep me in mind if you have one you are considering on selling or see or know of one for sale.

Thanks David

posted Hide Post
The offer is still good if you ever want to sell your Jarret It is exactly what I am looking for

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm under $1500 into my heaviest 280AI 700 based LR harvester...with glass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just sayin'.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushbucker,
That is one ugly rifle! I hope it shoots better than it looks.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bushbucker,
That is one ugly rifle! I hope it shoots better than it looks.
Butch

You're right Butch, thought you were in Alaska

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in Alaska. We ain't doing much today. We did get to see a Grizzly chase a very nice sized Bull Moose for a short distance. It was nice to watch.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bitchlambert,

Pardon the poor light in the first pic.

With your "keen" eye,have you any thoughts on opting a steel S/S bottom metal on her,to really set things off? I've an extry laying loose.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That wouldn't even make a good canoe paddle.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bitchlambert,

Any thoughts on the blackened $7091 paddle...then we'll talk Agg's and such.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whirlwind,
I know you are gone, but the $7091 boat paddle could be built with the same components for $3000. Jarrett isn't a magician. Several guys on this forum and others have as much or more skill than he. They aren't the marketeer that he is.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whirlwind,
I know you are gone, but the $7091 boat paddle could be built with the same components for $3000. Jarrett isn't a magician. Several guys on this forum and others have as much or more skill than he. They aren't the marketeer that he is.
Butch

Don't worry Butch,

I paid less than $3,000 for the gun anyway. So Whirlwinds point was moot from the begining. More importantly, as for his heavy weight bullbarrel gun shooting better than my Jarrett, maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. However, one thing is for sure, with me being an average shooter at best, as you can see from the single three shot group I took with this gun today, no one in their right would complain about the accuracy of this gun. For a guy like me to be able to show up at the range and to pull off a few rounds and achieve accuracy like this on a consistent basis pretty much says all that needs to be said about the gun...

JC

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
BTW..For reference, this is the kind of accuracy the gun is capable of with several different loads from 140-160grs in the hands of more competant shooters.

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JC, I'm certainly not worried. I think you are old enough to take care of yourself. Your rifle shoots well. I do stand by my statement above.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do stand by my statement above.
Butch

Butch,

I agree completely on that point as well. I really don't even think it takes $3K to build such a rifle in many cases. In fact, below is a pretty typical target from gun that cost around $800 to build. I bought it, like new, off another member here earler this spring. So far it has shot every type of factory ammo I have ran through it, from 100gr to 120gr, sub MOA. I shot a single group with the gun yesterday from 200yds...that group came right in 1.25". My single best 200yd group date. Even better than what I have done with Jarrett so far..

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:
You can ask Ed direct but going from memory I think the bottom metal was 250, shroud 250, welded up rear tang (this is a Rem 700 action) 50, bolt handle 250. He really did a top notch job and this rifle is a shooter too, like yours. 24" Lilja stainless barrel.

Prewar 70,

Is that the same rifle we had to rebuild or was that another one from Jarret; the one he would not stand up to or honor your complaints?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
That 280AI Jarrett rifle shoots well and obviously, the shooter does too. I suppose we can spend our money the way we see fit. My most expensive custom set me back about $3500. With load time on par with every other rifle I have, it shoots no better or worse than my Ruger 270 with a Hart bbl on it. The most expensive rifle is a 308. My most accurate 2 rifles so far: a 7mm Mag with Shilen bbl and a 270 with a Broughton-Richards bbl. But I'm still playin with all of them.

Personally, I would never pay for a new Jarrett rifle because I have rifles I had redone for less than half of what he charges that will do just as well or better. Most of my rifles are built with me buying all or most all of the components, shipping them to a smith, and he puts it together.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns