THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Rifle Photography background poll (700K file)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Photography background poll (700K file)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted
Here's a gif with a rotating background. I'd like some input from readers here on what background is their favorite. Or any suggestions they may have.
Thanks for your input.

Question:
Favorite background

Choices:
black
white
green
red
purple
blue
storm cloud blue/gray

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I voted green, but the "storm cloud gray" is also very nice. I think they highlight the rifle's lines better than solid black or solid white.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the simple black or white. Can you tell us a bit about your lighting setup?

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black, storm-cloud gray, white; in that order.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Black, Green , storm clouds. The one that i like the least is the white.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
I like the simple black or white. Can you tell us a bit about your lighting setup?

I ordered a video through the Guild about firearms pictures. Built some diffusion screens out of white fabric and use 4 clamp on 100 watt bulbs. Long exposures need a very good tripod.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
For my eye the storm cloud grey followed by the green and black made the rifle stand out and excentuated the grain and colouring of the wood and metal detail.Mind you that little Mauser is a treat for the eye with any and every background.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
black, white and red are out. I voted green but the gray is good, third is blue then purple.

Rich

Posts: 6405 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I voted green... but I thought the purple really made that particular gun "pop". Maybe the 60's were good to me...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I voted green too and never would have guessed that would have been the color I would have picked. Interesting the significant diffence the background makes in terms of bringing out the color in the wood.

If you do not mind me asking, how do create the different background effects? Is that a feature based on a setting on the camera or done with something like Photoshop?

Mike

Posts: 21271 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I voted green, but the "storm cloud gray" is also very nice.

+1!

Excellent photo of the rifle.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I voted white, of course! For mi is the best
background to enance 100 % the rifle and nothing else! It stand alone and NOTHING distract the view and the details and contours shows themselves in the best way!

Regards

PH

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
If you do not mind me asking, how do create the different background effects? Is that a feature based on a setting on the camera or done with something like Photoshop?

I bought a used digital SLR Canon 20D from a wedding photog that upgraded to a 50D. The lens I used for these pictures was a Canon 50mm 1.4 my brother sent me. It captures better color than my 18-55 IS. The 18-55 takes a little better resolution though. I thought this rifle was a good candidate to showcase the color that Duane W's alkanet tinted finishing recipe helped produce. Most of the pics were taken at F8 with over a second shutter speed. The exposure I ended up using was underexposed by 2/3 stop. All the pics were taken in RAW format and downloaded to Canon's Digital Post Processing software that came with the camera. Using a piece of the blank that went through the same finishing schedule, I lightly tweaked the pictures to try and duplicate on my monitor the color & contrast I had in my hand. Contrast set to 0, sharpen to 5, highlight & shadow to -1 and color saturation to 1. I haven't calibrated my monitor, but it looks good to me, and Terry agrees that the processed pics look very much like the rifle. Unlike the washed out photo he took of the trap buttplate. I'm not pickin on Terry here, we all know how difficult it is to take pics that do justice to the rifles we have.

After I massaged the RAW files, I exported a TIF file. This was opened in Adobe Photoshop Essentials. Another program that was bundled with the camera. Here I cut out the rifle from the gray background. I was able to put any background I wanted behind the rifle. On average, I've got 1-1/2 hour post-processing each picture.

I am surprised to see the current results of the poll and appreciate all the input. I like the gray storm best and am surprised that the blue and red drew few fans.

Since green and gray seem to compliment this rifle, I may do another rotating background poll with a variety of these. I don't have any room left on my server at the moment.

Thanks again for all the input.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation. I found this entire thread very interesting.

Mike

Posts: 21271 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I was waiting on the sexy lady background.....didn't see it

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Green and the storm cloud looks the best...

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hard to argue with basic black...

For me, the colors were a distraction.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I voted for storm cloud blue/gray, but the black and red also worked well to highligh the grain of the stock.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I hardly noticed the background with that beautiful rifle in front. However the red made me want to hurl, other than that they all look fine, black-white-greystorm are my favs.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
White.
I want to see a rifle for what it really is, not enhanced by a colorful background.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I kinda liked the bedsheet in the 1st pictures Big Grin

I've told James I think some of the backgrounds while neat, they take away from the the subject of the picture.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Green and white, in that order.

But I noticed that, with the darkened border at the edge of the photos, the only color that affords a clear view of the fore end profile is white.

Maybe a solid, lighter shade of the green would be best?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13404 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only color background that I like is a good looking redheaded white lady about 28 years and about 5'10" with big "which-a-majiggers"

Anybody wanna argue that point?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I voted for green.
Green and guns seem to work well together.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I voted for the gray storm clouds, but I also like the purple.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
green then storm cloud grey

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't anyone besides me like redheads?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Jim---My favorite is the Large Double Breasted Red Headed Mattress Thrasher!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Why the ejection port carve out on the left side of the stock?

I have never seen that before. I have seen the lttle thumb cut but never the elongated ejection port like cut.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is just another detail that can be done; it outlines the action nicely. It ain't ejection port detail.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Why the ejection port carve out on the left side of the stock?

I have never seen that before. I have seen the little thumb cut but never the elongated ejection port like cut.

The action is detailed like a G33/40. The stock top line has to follow the bottom of the thumb cut between the rear of the receiver ring and the front of the bolt stop. The bevel that looks like an ejector port is just window dressing. The reason that you haven't seen this before is that G33/40s are fairly rare.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker

Congratulations on your new website!!

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
I kinda liked the bedsheet in the 1st pictures

I have to agree, I really like the original photos better than the others!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
I voted green. Black is in a near tie with it though. Those are the two that did not make me squint to adjust my eyes.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just send me the rifle and I will send you back a photo with my favorite background....me with a big wide grin.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote