Find
Notify
Tools

Manners vs. McMillan stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I'm searching for the perfect stock....for a rifle I plan on putting together in the near future.

Question:
If you were putting together a custom, all-weather rifle in .300 Win Mag....which stock would you choose and why?

Choices:
Manners Composite Stock
McMillan Fiberglass Stock

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
If I voted, based on the info given, it would have to be McMillan.

As a hunting type stock, the only one that I see as acceptable offered by Manners is the MCS-SL, which is the super light classic style. Other Manners stocks seem to be mostly for tactical use.

The problem in choosing is that it sorta depends on the brand of barreled action you have. Looks like the Manner classic style was designed for the 700 and clones, and adapted for some others.

If your action is a 700 or clone type, then the Manners classic might be a good choice.

My experience has been with the McMillan stocks, and I've been 100% satisfied, as expected due to the price.

McMillan offers monte carlo and classic styles for several actions. The monte carlo styles I'm referring to are clones of the old Sako Hunter, and the Sako 75. There just isn't a better monte carlo design. The other is the so-called Sako American Classic. You can see a picture and description of it on McMillan web site, under Sako, but the same stock is offered, molded and inletted specific for Rugers, and several others.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
We have in use stocks by HS Precision, McMillan, Manners and MPI.

It is hard to beat McMillan for the shear number of stocks available.

As for quality you won't find much difference between the 3 of them.

McMillan ends up a little more expensive.

Really Wade it depends on what you feel you need your stock to look like and feel like.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Kabluewy,

The stock I had in mind was the Manners MCS-T3.

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I have a t-4 and it is wonderful.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr.Manners is a hell of a nice guy,he gave me a tour of his factory which was quite interesting. I have made a couple of phone calls to Mcmillan to inquire about ordering a stock, and to be frank about it......I hate going through the telephone automated services amongst other things. I'd say Manners gets my vote for customer service.

Now on to answering your question which is one I had asked myself at one time. I really like the Manners T3 with the Mini chassis. But I like the feel, and colors of the Mcmillan better. What did I go with in the end............I bought an Accuracy International chassis. If I had to pick between a Manners, and a Mcmillan.........I'd have to go with the Manners, with the mini chassis. Either way I don't think you'll go wrong. Blonde or Brunette.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Kabluewy,

The stock I had in mind was the Manners MCS-T3.

As a hunting rifle stock the wide forearm wouldn't work for me.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmil....php?subnav=branch2d

Scroll down and look for the "Hunter" monte carlo style. That's what I'm talking about.

Any of the stocks that have the word "Hunter" in the name appear to be clones of the old Sako Hunter or the newer Sako 75 Hunter. They are offered for several action types, and these are not simply inletted from one mold pattern, but each action type has a seperate mold designed for the correct fit, depth, etc.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about either of them but I can order Bell and Carlson in my length of pull. I have gone to them for fit.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I've got one HS Precision on a Ruger, and it feels pretty good. At least it's stiff.

It doesn't feel as good to hold as the McMillan. There are lots of little subtle differences that add up. But the price was good, and it seems stout and readily available, and bedded in well.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like McMillan has a commanding lead.
If you decide to go with McMillan you can save quite a bit of money by ordering it through Rick Bin rather than direct from McMillan.
Rick is fantastic to work with and since he's sold thousands of McMillans he knows of what he speaks.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got a McMillan stock in for a custom build. It is a Remington Classic style done in their Edge technology and to say that I was impressed would be an understatement. VERY light weight and best craftsmanship I've seen from McMillan. I'm sure my customer will be impressed too.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 829 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I work right down the street from Manners, and have been in there several times. The quality between the two is both top notch, but for a hunting rifle, I think I like the Manners texture over the entire stock more. It's slightly rough, and feels good and secure in your hand.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote because I can't choose. I have both.

I think McM has a far wider choice if you want to pick and choose a style.

I like the MCS hunting styles, but the comb is a little thin to my liking.

The Manners "checkering" is uglier than the McM and the stock is painted. But yes, the paint provides a sort of grippy texture which is positive.

If you like Mc Swirly, go with McM.

Now it probably sounds like a prefer McM on balance, but not so; I'm looking for a Manners right now, but they will unfortunately not ship to me in South Africa.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have 1 McMillan and 1 Manners so my experience is limited. They are both great products but I will choose Manners in the future solely based on customer service. The McMillan stock was supposed to be ready at a certain date, it never arrived so I called and (after I eventually spoke to someone who could tell me about the progress of my stock) was told that it would be a couple more weeks. In the end my stock twice as long to receive as originally promised. That was frustrating.

Fast forward a year or two and I bought a used Manners stock off Gunbroker for a Remington long action. I sent the stock and barreled action to Tom Manners to have bedded and inletted for my thicker recoil lug. As soon as he got the stock and barreled action he called me and asked where I got the stock from. I told him that I got it used on Gunbroker. He said that he had originally built that stock and sold it as an un-inletted piece. He also went on to tell me that whoever had done the inletting work had really messed it up. My heart sunk and I was completely disgusted. He then went on to tell me that he would fill the stock completely in and re-inlet it to fit my action, recoil lug, and barrel properly. He also said that he would do this at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE. I was so happy. He did the work with relatively fast turn-around time and I drove up to Missouri to pick the rifle up and spent a little time with the man watching his employees work. I can honestly that I have NEVER been more pleased with customer service EVER. I still can't sing his praises enough.

I know that my experience is limited but it's enough for me to choose Manners in the future.

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 18 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Great info guys....