New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fine Gunmaking Workshops 2014
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Advance Stockmaking 2014 is into the third day today. Two fellows came down from Alaska to shape stocks from the blank, one M-70 and one retro-Springfield. Lee is back for his third year to shape a M-70 from a pre-machined stock and rust blue his Ruger #1 .35 Whelen he has worked on the past two years.
One work station is open for Stockmaking 101 September 2014, contact me ASAP.
Just starting rough M-70 shaping

Jerry Fisher circa 1991 M-70 on my workbench.

Fisher drawings and student templates.

Springfield Shaping from the blank.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1789 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Steven,

I'm interested in learning to carve a stock from a blank. Are you going to be holding advanced courses again in 2015? Is it necessary to do the Stockmaking 101 course, do they lead on from one another? Thanks

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking good guys wish I was there!

Lee,

I better get some pictures of that No. 1 after it is finished!

Posts: 322 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are many prerequisites and much experience needed before shaping a stock from the blank, Stockmaking 101 is a great start.
I decide what seminars are going to happen by the specific projects, interests and enthusiasm of the students, that are signing up.
I have no idea what the focus will be next year or even for sure if there will be classes, but we are seeing Lee here the third year, much interest in returning student and the ball is rolling right along... course are specifically tailored to student interest and specific projects.
Truly interested students should think seriously about the September group and talk to me, there is only one bench open until it fills. Serious inquiries Please PM me here, or drop a line at sdh@finegunmaking.com; but please don't call unless you are truly interested in coming to Montana to learn.

Nick, We just wrapped up and Lee is on his way to Michigan but here's a taste of his rust blued 1/4 rib... and a couple more pics. You are Welcome back Anytime!
Steve Hughes
(L-R)
Dan Kleber with circa 1930 Niedner Krag; Lee Ricks with 1991 Fisher M-70; SDH with custom 7x65R High Wall; Robert Lerner with pre-64 M-70 .375 (ages 43, 33, 63, and 53; Robert & Dan from Alaska) And Stella the gunshop dog!

Lee carding #1 quarter rib, rust bluing.

Dan chisel and mallet.

Thanks to Warren Mabie for photos.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1789 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
Hey Nick! Will be a couple weeks before I can do the final assembly, but I will be sure to post a pic once it's done.

Another great session, always a lot of fun being in Steve's shop!

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics Steve, I wish I was returning this fall. Rust bluing again next year??

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote