New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Word To The Wise
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This summer, having gone through the torturous procedure of filling out an ATF Form 6 application for the importation of firearms, and waiting eight weeks for it to be approved, I received an import permit. Much to my surprise, the procedure of clearing the firearms through customs went without a hitch and I was able to pick up the shipment at the air freight depot and transport it to my FFL dealer, who put me through the 4473 formalities.

Then the problems began.

For reasons best known to themselves, German Customs required my German shipper to send the scopes for the six firearms I was importing separately. When they arrived two weeks ago, Customs insisted that the scopes fell under classification 1(e) of the U.S. Munitions Import List, making them Implements of War, which had to have an approved Form 6, also.

The way I read section 1(e) was that it applied only to "Riflescopes manufactured to
military specifications and specifically
designed or modified components therefor," and since none of the scopes in my shipment fit that description, it did not apply.

Nothing I could say would convince the Customs officials otherwise. I wrote a letter to ATF, outlining the problem and asking for a ruling; no response. I emailed the Import Branch of ATF and asked them for a ruling. They pointed me to the relevant regulation, which I was already aware of, but would not give a definitive answer.

Finally, I was able to contact an agent who was willing to take pity on me, and after submitting a list of the scopes to be imported and after her satisfying herself that the provisions of section 1(e) did not apply, she called customs to inrform them of her decision and I was just now notified that the shipment had been released.

I suspect that in the future it would be well for me to include scopes under the classification of Implements of War in the Form 6 and apply for an import permit, although none is required. That way, even the most obtuse Customs official should be satisfied. In the mean time, I am vastly relieved that this ordeal is over.

I am really looking forward to wringing out the three bolt rifles, the drilling, the combination gun and the O/U double rifle included in the shipment, now that the scopes are to be reunited with the weapons they belong to.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
That way, even the most obtuse Customs official should be satisfied.

I please to see someone else use "obtuse" here on AR. It seems that every time I use it I am taken to task and called a snob.

Oh, and glad you got your "weapons-of-war" sorted out.
Roll Eyes

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
After an introduction like that I can't wait to see what's worth all the trouble.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
After an introduction like that I can't wait to see what's worth all the trouble.

I obviously haven't had time to actually receive the scopes or photograph anything, but here are three photos which came from Germany, showing the "after" of a refurbishing project which started with a woefully abused Mauser Type B Sporter in 9.3X62. The scope is a later addition, fitted to the pre-existing claw mount bases.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My goodness, you certainly have good tastes in rifles. Very nice!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OMG what a terrifying military threat.
God bless America . salute

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
xausa thanks for sharing the story and photos. The rifle is well worth the refurbishing. It is as classic as they get. Kudos.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll see what I can do. I think I have your email address, but you might want to PM me.