Find
Notify
Tools

Wood Blank?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted
I want to restock my CZ FS with a nice piece of english walnut. I've been looking but havn't had any luck finding anything good yet. Does anyone have a sugestion as to where to look?

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send an Email to Cecil Fredi at <blankscf@cox.net> describe what you want - he'll send you some pics. off what he has. --- John 303.

One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
This is Cecil.

He will keep sending you photos until you find one you like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cecil is a fine fellow..fair prices, accurately described wood...good guy to deal with

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does he have a website?

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes WS, it's <Cecil Fredi Gunstock Blanks> - very few pics. Email him a good desciption / a pic. of what you prefer as far as grain etc. and he will forward you pics. of what he has. --- John303.

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Thanks alot guys. tu2 I'll check with him.

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Good wood is where you find it. I've gotten good and bad from a lot of different sellers. Just be sure they don't have a problem with a return when you buy it. Sometimes wood in your hand looks different than wood in a picture. One thing I will not tolerate anymore is photo shopped pictures of wood or a blank with stained finish on it. Those blanks go straight back to the seller.

Cecil is one of the good guy's. Paul and Sharron Dressel are on that list too. I've never delt with him but I've heard a lot of good things about Roger Vardy too.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus two for the Dressel's.

http://dressels.com/

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought wood from Cecil Fredi, 6-7 years ago.
It was very nice and as described.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger Vardy is great and he handles everything involved in getting it to you. All of his wood is dry and cured. All of my stockmakers like the way it works and checkers.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Brian Kerr at NZ Walnut has good blanks, good prices and is very helpfull.

http://www.nzwalnut.co.nz/purchase.htm

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have bought from Mr. Fredi for over twenty years. One bonus is, that if you visit Las Vegas, you can meet him and pick your own stick. And he has thousands upon thousands of blanks.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
Brian Kerr at NZ Walnut has good blanks, good prices and is very helpfull.

http://www.nzwalnut.co.nz/purchase.htm

Von Gruff.

AGREED! This one was $250....He was easy to deal with and very helpful.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
333_OKH, thats a hell of a piece for $250. Thanks for the help. tu2
Thanks everyone for the info and links. Wink

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I was amazed when it came to me from Kerr in NZ...

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I've always felt Presliks have been a great value. I've done very well in $250-$500 range and never felt the need to spend more. His $500 blank seems to be Dressels 1k blank.

http://www.presliksgunstocks.com/

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Look till your hearts content...
http://www.acgg.org/foundation/wood-for-sale

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
WOW, thats some nice wood! Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I've had good experience with Calico hardwoods.

Excellent customer service, good looking wood.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cecil Fredi Gunstock Blanks

Good shop. And don't forget Luxus... I have picked up some nice blanks from Adam and Clay as well.

Also James Anderson who posts here on occasion had some nice Cailfornia English blanks for sale... might pm here to see what he has.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
http://www.oldtreegunblanks.com/

Gordon has some of the best wood out there for English.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:

I live about 10 minutes down the road from Calico. I have bought about 15 or 20 blanks from them over the years.

An AR member from South Africa had me stop in at Calico and pick out a half dozen blanks for him to preview(he had told me the type of blank he was looking for). The manager then photographed these blanks and emailed them to him. He bought two and was very happy with them. He sent me photos of his finished stocks and they were beautiful.

If anyone here on AR would like me to do the same for them I would be happy to do so, just PM me. I'm always looking for an excuse to go through Calico's rack of fancy blanks.

BTW, I have no financial interest in this(Calico doesn't even give me a discount Frowner ). I just like digging for that perfect blank.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent info and links to some beautiful wood!! The NZ wood seems both superb and the price is definitely a benefit!

Presuming one will have to hire out the shaping, cutting, and fitting of a barreled action to a blank.....what are we looking at as far as cost estimates?

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Spencer:

Presuming one will have to hire out the shaping, cutting, and fitting of a barreled action to a blank.....what are we looking at as far as cost estimates?

About $500 to $6000

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
About $500 to $6000
Excellent info. Thanks

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
with the NZ Walnut and Brian Kerr....I was amazed how much better the blank looked in person than in the Internet and emailed photos....Super dense, good grain and a great looking finished stock by Gostomski in MD.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
About $500 to $6000
Excellent info. Thanks

Actually, it was.

Many variables come into play, the most important of which is the stockmaker. Depending upon their reputation and workmanship, $500 to $6000.

Doug

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nyrifleman:
quote:
quote:
About $500 to $6000
Excellent info. Thanks

Actually, it was.

Many variables come into play, the most important of which is the stockmaker. Depending upon their reputation and workmanship, $500 to $6000.

I knew he didn't think I was serious, but I was. I guess the best thing for him to do is decide how much he wants to spend and then ask for suggestions in his price range. I can't afford the top and I've learned (the hard way) to stay away from the bottom.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry is so right! Listen to him. We learned the hard way.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:

I used to live in Santa Rosa and kick myself for never getting over there. My buddy does know the owner though, so I think I'll make a phone call.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks everyone for the help. I'm very impressed with the wood from NZ Walnut. I need to see what he has thats long enough for my FS. Thanks Again guys!