Find
Notify
Tools

Third re-work 98 Mauser stock.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
The first (not shown) configuration was way too fat, thick and clumsy.
The second look. Here's an attempt at improvement including a major slim down, original length retained. In a word ugly. Put it way in the back of the closet. Not even worth the cost to have it checkered.

After, with a slightly trimmed recoil pad, fore-end substantially shortened and new ebony tip added. Re-checker job exposed one of my dowels. (live and learn) Had to shorten again and add a new ebony tip, this time with one dowel for support. Ready for finishing up of the lost checkering done by Tim Smith-Lyons using my cut borders. Cheek piece re-shaped. Grip re-shaped to a more swept look and shortened with a new ebony grip cap with a wild cherry inlay from some of the 50 year dried lumber that came from my Dad's estate. Smoothed out the impressed cheapo aluminum alloy bottom metal and coated it with Alumahyde. Better than a cast sheep image anyway. Had fun doing it.

Might keep it a bit longer. Nothing fancy, but at least it isn't butt ugly.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The end result isn't recognizable as the same rifle. What a transformation! The work reminds me of another Pennsylvanian, John Hearn.

Congratulations on a beautiful accomplishment!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All part of the learning curve, make mistakes, fix them, be disappointed then make the next one better. Just keep going.
Well done.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents Those were the goals.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking good but don't quit now... tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice. Big investment.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Looks like a totally different rifle and bet it feels the same way!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks again gents. Yes. Much better feel. Points well, better balance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure worth a checkering job and metal grip cap to top it off..Nice work..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
OK. I may end up having the checkering finished. Couldn't bear to get rid of the cherry dot I inlaid into the grip. Sorry about the lousy picture of that. Time to give it a final smooth out and polish.
My stockmaker is swamped for now.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Now if I could only get the thing to shoot factory loads well. It seems to hate everything except Core-Lokt 130's and even those only group a couple inches. Hornady 140 supers were terrible.
May give some Remington Managed Recoil CL 115's a try. Twist is 12/1.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What caliber is it?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
.270 win

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your twist is a little on the slow side for 130-140 grain bullets, Berger says theirs require a 10 twist. You could try something in the 115 range if you can get your hands on something there and try those. You may have better luck.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly. Just bought a couple boxes of 115's with my favorite Hornady bullet from Buds Gun Shop yesterday to see if the barrel likes them.

Hornady 80526 Custom Lite SST 270 Winchester

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
oooops. I meant 120 grain.