New
Find
Notify
Tools

A nice 1922-22.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Armory stock reworked by Tom Shelhamer, Niedner blue, Niedner buttplate, Niedner damasking on the bolt. I put the Fecker small-game scope on for the picture because it looked wrong to me with just the blocks.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found this rifle about ten years ago just after I depleted my gun account. I called my friend John who bought it and for the next ten-years John reminded me (in a good way) that he had a nice 1922 by Shelhamer and I did not. John took this rifle along to the range many times when we went and I think I may have shot it more than he did. John died in January and I became caretaker of the rifle yesterday.

As many times as I have shot it I did not notice until yesterday that the bolt throw is limited to just back of where a loaded cartridge would sit with the ejector working there as well. I pulled it apart and found a metal spacer on the side of the bolt that limits travel. Something I would expect to see from Mr. Niedner. A neat little rifle with some personal history that will make more trips to the range, weather permitting.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Very nice, am looking forward to visiting

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Wink

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your friend, nice rifle.

Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any idea as to how that process is done?

Very nice rifle. I am sorry to hear about your friend. I have a couple rifles from a close friend. Wish he still had them and I did not...

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that surface treatment on the bolt what is called "Worm Tracks"? Can't remember who called it that, maybe Jack Belk.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frosting is what Roy Dunlap called it

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I love that look on the bolt. My 500 Wiebe has it too.

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Donno about that "frosting" treatment....looks like something put on by Michael J. Fox with a Dremel, and a Briteboy point, 200 grit.......The rest of the rifle looks great!

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how the application process works for the damasking?

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ab_bentley:
Does anyone know how the application process works for the damasking?

Back in 1984 I traveled to Dowagiac, Michigan and interviewed three people who worked at the Niedner Rifle Corporation. One of the questions I asked was how they did this and I recorded our conversations. I have forgotten what I was told about this so need to find time to revisit that subject. At this time I'm busy working to get Volume-two of my book printed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it available for sale?
Thanks

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

The material is at the printers and as they set it up I have been proofing a chapter at a time. I should have the book in the next couple months and when I do I'll post information for ordering them.

As you know Precision Shooting went out of business so I took it upon myself to publish the second volume.

TABLE OF CONTENTS For Volume II

Chapter 1 F. Surkamer & E. Johnson
Chapter 2 Owen & Worthen Revisited
Chapter 3 Whelen's Wundhammer
Chapter 4 Depression Era Sporters
Chapter 5 Stewart Edward White's Wundhammer
Chapter 6 Niedner's 1924 Rifle
Chapter 7 Fred Adolph Revisited
Chapter 8 When Was It Made
Chapter 9 Wundhammer & King
Chapter 10 S.R. Griffin
Chapter 11 John Dubiel
Chapter 12 Hoffman Falling Block
Chapter 13 Paul Jaeger
Chapter 14 A Collection of Sporters (a)
Chapter 15 A Collection of Sporters (b)
Chapter 16 Pachmayrs
Chapter 17 James V. Howe
Chapter 18 John Hutton
Chapter 19 The .400-Whelen Part I
Chapter 20 The .400-Whelen Part II

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Petrov,

I would (as well as Adam) would love to have any information you can find about this process.

I look forward to getting your second volume.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Michael, the rifle is simply superb, and I cannot think of another man in North American who deserves to be its caretaker more than you.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote