Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Foam Inserts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Has anyone used this site: www.mycasebuilder.com ?

You can pick from a huge number of different cases and use their online tool to design your own foam inserts.

I'm going to do one for my Mauser M03 in a Pelican 1700 with two barrels and two scopes.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask about the density or a sample of the foam. Realy soft or mushy foam does not hold up well when compartmentalized. Also leave lots of room in-between each part as the sideways tensile strength of foam is low and will tear if the compartments are too close. ...Dave

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
You can get the normal Pelican form or the newer harder foam. Here the two types they list.

BTW - I've had no issues with the standard Pelican foam ever.

PE foam is fairly dense (similar to the feel of a "pool-noodle"), yet forgiving. It offers a secure, snug fit. Finger-notches are recommended in order to retrieve items.

Ester foam (commonly used in upholstery cushioning) is more spongy and pliable, exhibiting excellent shock absorption and malleability.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go for it. I've used Pelican cases for a long time to protect my cameras. Found it bomb-proof but heavy.

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an outfit called something like pelicancasebuilder, some derivation of pelican case, who sells custom foam inserts. They sent me a grid matched to my Pelican case to lay out my components and trace them on a insert. Not cheap but excellent seldom is.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote