THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Lightweight, accurate .308 barrel for a Stolle Atlas action
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight, accurate .308 barrel for a Stolle Atlas action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
posted 17 August 2015 02:38

I just received a Kelbys Stolle Atlas action after a six month wait. It is a repeater, left bolt with left ejection. I want to build a .308 hunting rifle that is accurate and light weight. I know, those terms should not be used in the same sentence but I'd like to try. I have a Bansers synthetic stock that weighs 19 ounces. And the atlas comes with an aluminum trigger guard for use with a blind magazine. So I'd like a 22" barrel as light as possible. Would anyone know of a supplier of lightweight carbon wrapped barrels? Any other light weight, accurate suggestions?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A normal #2 or #3 barrel is still light in this regard. And would be accurate to well out to 4-500 yards. Also, you could easily chop the barrel of a 308 to 18-20" and still have a very accurate rifle!

You just cant expect it ot shoot dozens or rounds in one sitting.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I once had a Krieger turned and carbon wrapped by Christenson. It shot in the .300's. It was on one of my titanium m-98 actions, it was set up for a 165gr scriocco, 1deg,30sec.throat.and lapua brass. Specific built.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've decides to use an MDT LSS chassis to save weight and use a conventional barrel.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote