THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    My Martini Gunmakers Vektor 458 lott nearing completion-pics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Martini Gunmakers Vektor 458 lott nearing completion-pics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was stunned when I saw the pics-I am a very happy guy! There is still some work to be done.The trigger will be replaced with a Mauser original,the rear of the trigger guard will be sculpted or narrowed,sanding,detailing,cross bolt,etc...It looks like we will be going with a natural walnut-like finish with a touch of red.I sent Ralph some pictures of H&H stocks that I liked.Martin Rabeno is going to do some engraving.Weight is 9 1/2lbs[URL= ]1[/URL][URL= ]2[/URL][URL= ]4[/URL][URL= ]5[/URL][URL= ]6[/URL][URL= ]7[/URL][URL= ]8[/URL][URL= ]9[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Let me be the first to congratulate you on what will be a first class rifle!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply beautiful!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say way to much drop in the buttstock. The fore-end tip is clumsy, needs thinning some,something about the profile of the tip is off. Surely you are going to do something about that silly safety, at least change it to a decent M-70 style. Why three leaves on the rear sight, you only need one out to a 100 yards, two makes it good to 150. Will it be matte or bright blue? For a hunting rifle it must be matte. Why only one sling swivel, one would assume you need a swivel on the butt of the rifle also.

SSR
SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ralph thinks I made a good decision in opting out with the ebony forend tip.The rifle is to be used with open sights only and according to Ralph, shoulders and aligns the express sights "wonderfully".The grip is angled slightly back because of my large hand size.I had to trace an outline of my hand and mail it to Ralph.It turned out we have the same size hand.LOP is 14 1/4 including the Silvers pad which was grinded down to .800.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Did Ralph express any concern about the grain flow in the toe of the stock, and if so, did he do anything to reinforce it?

BTW, now that I have seen it as a turned stock I can say without reservation, at $3K that blank was way over priced. No offense, but you got jobbed.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Did Ralph express any concern about the grain flow in the toe of the stock, and if so, did he do anything to reinforce it?

BTW, now that I have seen it as a turned stock I can say without reservation, at $3K that blank was way over priced. No offense, but you got jobbed.
no mention whatsoever of anything concerning grain flow.I know you like it Jason. rotflmoBTW,this is not my 3000 blank but a turkish one I bought from Ralph at a good price but still not cheap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
An amazing rifle! Congratulations...!!!

Ralf is one of the very best.

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidC:
An amazing rifle! Congratulations...!!!

Ralf is one of the very best.

Best,
Dave
Thanks David.I feel like Ralph hit the bullseye with this project.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
I would say way to much drop in the buttstock. The fore-end tip is clumsy, needs thinning some,something about the profile of the tip is off. Surely you are going to do something about that silly safety, at least change it to a decent M-70 style. Why three leaves on the rear sight, you only need one out to a 100 yards, two makes it good to 150. Will it be matte or bright blue? For a hunting rifle it must be matte. Why only one sling swivel, one would assume you need a swivel on the butt of the rifle also.

SSR
SSR

I would consider that this rifle is a work in progress and as mentioned set-up for open sights only. As long as Ralf is allowed to do his magic the rifle will be just right. Most likely far better than you could imagine....

I do agree about the safety but that is a personal choice and something left to the owner to determine.

Shootaway, I am sure you will end up with a fantasic rifle! Please continue to post pictures as progress is made...the best is yet to come and when you have that rifle in your hands, it will feel alive!

Best,

jjs

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,jjs.I wanted to keep the action as original as possible and since it is to be used without a scope,chose to go with the original safety.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Ralf is a real artist.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
...if you are going with originality, and you do not plan on scope use, it might be prudent to get rid of the rear square bridge, and also cut a thumb slot in it. That would make it look more authentic, and you would have an outstanding rifle (or course in MHO)

Removing the Vektors rear bridge and creating a slot in the left wall, does not neccessarily make it more authentic.
Commercial Oberndorf magnum mauser receivers came in different variations, one [rare]version,
was much similar to the Vektor ie; single square bridge & solid left wall.

The first Magnum actions were made up for the British firm John Rigby
around 1904.
These were;
1. round top configuration with a distinctive step down receiver ring.
2. round top configuration with a distinctive step down receiver ring -with rear Square Bridge .
3. Round top action with normal ring , thumb cut , quite rare.
4. Single Square Bridge with normal ring and thumb cut, the most common of the magnum actions.
5. Single Square Bridge with solid left wall first made around 1930-31. Quite rare.
6. Double Square Bridge with solid left wall first made around 1930.Rare.

Ralf Martini goes to the effort of adding an SqrBrdge to mauser actions , not grinding them OFF!

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you are going with originality, and you do not plan on scope use, it might be prudent to get rid of the rear square bridge, and also cut a thumb slot in it..... That would make it look more authentic,

How would removing the square bridge make it look more authentic?

I ask because the square bridge was a feature on Mauser's finest actions.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, but the photos I have seen depict those square bridge ones being used with scopes.

I just think if your going to have an iron sighter it looks more classy (my opinion only) to have the regular mauser configuration.

Either way, its a very fine rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am just wondering how many rounds of ammo and how many cleanings with JB paste it will him to remove the rifling from that barrel,
as with, supposedly, so many other shootaway/throwaway rifles? Wink

But it is a beauty. I like it. Perfect as is for an iron-sight-only rifle. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree, but the photos I have seen depict those square bridge ones being used with scopes.

I just think if your going to have an iron sighter it looks more classy (my opinion only) to have the regular mauser configuration.

Either way, its a very fine rifle.

Most of the orig. British sqrbrdge magnum mausers came from the workshop unscoped.
Many of the orig. British sqrbrdge magnum mausers that ive seen scoped have usually been an much later after thought, [not done at the orig.rifle manufacturers shop]
Id say, that the view of most mauser affectionados, is that the SB-version is the more classy/held in higher esteem.... But each to his own.

Whether original,or new manufacture, theres still strong evidence of scopeless square bridge versions.

Old manufacture:

350 Rigby [lower profile bridge]

.416 Rigby

New manufacture:[H&W,Reimer,Mauser]

G&H side mount:

Rigby magnum mauser factory scope mount system, circa.1908.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning rifle!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax

Thanks for all of those very fine photos. I am definitely going to copy them off and save em.
That top photo is of one very very fine rifle!!!! Yours?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the original safety on the non-scoped rifle!
The square bridges are to make scope mounting more
secure, easier, better????? Please enlighten me.
It's gonna turn out A-1.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, George. I would be proud to own a rifle that nice.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow...some pretty harsh critiques here! IMHO, that rifle is going to be about perfect. The stock comb looks just right for iron sight use, the original-style safety works beautifully for that purpose if you practice enough with it, and I like the slim, short profile of the forearm. It's going to be a beauty.

But...I must admit to being one of those who wonder about the, shall we say, "rigorous" cleaning for which this rifle is destined. Is there enough meat in that barrel to bore out to .500 when the time comes?

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Wow...some pretty harsh critiques here! IMHO, that rifle is going to be about perfect.

There have been some harsh critiques. I wonder if it has anything to do with posts like this one on a similar thread about a Wiebe rifle?
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
It's a nice rifle but it could get better.

George has never held his tongue when critiquing other's rifles here on AR.

I do like the understated wood on the as I think it lets the rest of the rifle take center stage. I am not inpressed with the grain at the toe. One good knock and it will pop right off(don't ask how I know, but it is easy to fix).

And I know I will be the odd man out on this as everyone seems to be trying to copy Ralf's quarter ribs, but I really don't like the way his ribs start out curved at the top of the receiver and then step up to a flat "island". I'm not big on any quarter rib, but I prefer them low and flat.

All that said, this rifle is about as close to perfect and any I have seen.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yep, Shootaway has gone out of his way to say things he only should have thought in the past.

I like his rifle though and think he's made some excellent choices on it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love this rifle. I'm really beginning to like the non-ebony fore end tip look. I like the straight OD of the barrel band as opposed to the radiused OD. And...I'm totally a charger hump thumb slot person, but if it doesn't have one, leave it!
I do have 2 questions. I haven't seen someone darken a stock this pretty. Red (alkanet) yes, darken, no. I can't wait to see it finished. Now I gotta know! Also, what is the scallop running from the back of the grip up to the front of the comb?

Also, Trax, many thanks for the detailed pics of those rifles. Library material for sure.

Posts: 90 | Location: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: 13 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your interest and suggestions thanks also for the kind words... I really appreciate it.walnut,Ralph suggests we use some red tone and "a nice hand rubbed oil finish" which I could have in satin or high gloss.I don't know what you are reffering to when you say scallop.I have sent Ralph pictures of rifles I liked,mostly Rigbys and one in particular seemed to stay with us and he reffered to it in our discussions.I think there is a bit of that rifle in this project mostly in the curve from the comb to the action.I wish I still had a picture of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
(quote)
....I really don't like the way his ribs start out curved at the top of the receiver and then step up to a flat "island". I'm not big on any quarter rib, but I prefer them low and flat.
(quote)

It appears the island is made to match the height of the sqrebrdge.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,
I must say that if I were having an open sight .458 built up, it would be exactly the gun and maker you have on yours.
Ralf has a talent for producing the classic Mauser like no others.
Much of the commenting here is just nit-picking of course - this is why so many choose not to display their rifles on AR, especially as of late.
As for the grain at the toe, Jason is right about the possibility of a fracture there but I wouldn't worry about that on a gun with a Silvers type pad. Short of dropping the rifle on the butt, nothing is going to trouble you there.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
Much of the commenting here is just nit-picking of course - this is why so many choose not to display their rifles on AR, especially as of late.

I'm sure that some of the comments have been in response to Shootaway's less than tactful comments on other's rifles in the past.

I do have a question about your "nit-picking" comment regarding rifles posted here on AR. If someone posts photos here on AR is it OK to make objective comments on the rifle, or would you rather we limited ourselves to possitive comments such as, "Wow! That is the most beautiful rifle! Perfect in all respects! Truly a work of art!"?

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm sure that some of the comments have been in response to Shootaway's less than tactful comments on other's rifles in the past.

I do have a question about your "nit-picking" comment regarding rifles posted here on AR. If someone posts photos here on AR is it OK to make objective comments on the rifle, or would you rather we limited ourselves to possitive comments such as, "Wow! That is the most beautiful rifle! Perfect in all respects! Truly a work of art!"?

+1 I associate myself completely with these comments.

The rifle is no more than average,its nice but nothing earth shaking and no one here stokes himself more than shootaway.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:

How about:
"to much drop in the buttstock"

"The fore-end tip is clumsy, needs thinning some"

"something about the profile of the tip is off."

"Surely you are going to do something about that silly safety, at least change it to a decent M-70 style."

"Why three leaves on the rear sight, you only need one out to a 100 yards, two makes it good to 150."

"it might be prudent to get rid of the rear square bridge, and also cut a thumb slot in it."

And this is just from two contributors!

Now, I don't care one whit about shootaway's past posts - I generally don't notice who is saying what while reading a thread unless there is something really dopey going on. Maybe you guys have a bit of an axe to grind or maybe just having some fun with shootaway...who knows. I don't get all of the bore cleaning jokes.

I don't suggest anybody or any gun be heaped on with false praise but to call this rifle "no more than average" serves to expose either ignorance, jealousy or disdain for the gun, maker, or owner.

It is virtually impossible to make "objective comments" on any gun without first knowing all of the particulars of the build including parts available, intended use and not least of all budget. So, for what there was to work with, this may be the best build possible and it sure isn't bad!

Funny too, most of the above criticisms could be leveled down upon original Rigbys as well.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe you guys have a bit of an axe to grind or maybe just having some fun with shootaway...who knows. I don't get all of the bore cleaning jokes.

No doubt some of us do have an ax to grind AND we are having some fun with Shootaway.

I would guess Cross L has an ax to grind(just a guess; but I do too..) and 22WRF was simply ignorant(but he is a good guy and does not take pot-shots).

Just to put it into perspective, I will copy the post of the rifle that Shootaway said, "Nice rifle but it could get better".

To say the least Shootaway has posted a BUNCH of odd stuff in the past. Many of us thought he was just a troll who liked to screw with us. The fact is he is not a troll, he had accomplished a lot as a hunter and he has had a custom rifle built by a top rifle maker. But that does not change the fact that he has said some seriously(seriously) silly stuff.

And as to the wood on his rifle. I have factory rifles that have grain that crosses through the toe, but I would not accept it on a custom rifle.

Correct layout is the number 1 requirement of a custom stock.

I would not have purchased that stock and any price, much less used it on a top quality custom rifle.

Here is the post that prompted shootaway to post "nice rifle but it could get better". BTW, look at the layout on that stock.

quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Earlier this year, after admiring his work on line and the work he has done for others like Forrest Bruch and Mike Parks, I decided to commission Duane Wiebe to build me a rifle. When Duane and I first talked I told him that I wanted to recreate a rifle that would look like it came right off of the rack of one of the London gunmakers in the 1920's. The action we used was a 1909 Peruvian. I wanted to leave the high charger hump and have claw mounts that were flush with the charger hump. The caliber was to be 9.3x62. To keep it period correct, we wanted a nice piece of wood but nothing fancy -- a red Silvers pad of course. The swivel studs should be the oversized style typical on rifles from that era. Keep the engraving to a minimum. Color case harden the metal parts to give it a bit of a distinctive look.

See for yourself, I think Duane has done his craft proud and built a rifle that I am proud to call mine. I waited to post pictures until I could unveil the final product. It was worth the wait in my opinion.

Thanks Duane. Big Grin

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Well, I must agree.
It could be better...
It could have MY initials on the stock!! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

How about:
"to much drop in the buttstock"

"The fore-end tip is clumsy, needs thinning some"

"something about the profile of the tip is off."

"Surely you are going to do something about that silly safety, at least change it to a decent M-70 style."

"Why three leaves on the rear sight, you only need one out to a 100 yards, two makes it good to 150."

"it might be prudent to get rid of the rear square bridge, and also cut a thumb slot in it."

And this is just from two contributors!

Now, I don't care one whit about shootaway's past posts - I generally don't notice who is saying what while reading a thread unless there is something really dopey going on. Maybe you guys have a bit of an axe to grind or maybe just having some fun with shootaway...who knows. I don't get all of the bore cleaning jokes.

I don't suggest anybody or any gun be heaped on with false praise but to call this rifle "no more than average" serves to expose either ignorance, jealousy or disdain for the gun, maker, or owner.

It is virtually impossible to make "objective comments" on any gun without first knowing all of the particulars of the build including parts available, intended use and not least of all budget. So, for what there was to work with, this may be the best build possible and it sure isn't bad!

Funny too, most of the above criticisms could be leveled down upon original Rigbys as well.

Yes I was jerking Shootaways chain abit but I stand by everything I posted. I dont particularly care for the rifle. That doesnt make it bad, some like blonds some like brunettes. But with Shootaways past when he puts it out there for comment I am going to tell him what I think. Other posters, well I normally dont say anything if I cant say some thing nice.

Drool away if you want, there are darn sure other rifles posted here that i drool over.

To say that it was ignorant or disdainful to call this rifle no more than average is insulting. As I stated above each is allowed his own opinion. Yes I do think you expect false praise.

SSR

PS I dont ever recall saying the original Rigby's were perfect. IMHO the best, most accurate, safest rifles ever made are being made today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always good to see a Pure bred M98 which hasnt had a damn Model 70 safety tacked on it

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jason

I think I would have chosen a word other than "ignorant".

I agree as ignorant has a pretty negative connotation. I did not mean it in a negative way at all. I simply meant "unknowing or uninformed".

I did not mean to insult you. We are all ignorant about many things. Tact being one of mine.
Big Grin

I looked up a list of synonyms, and lets just say they made ignorant sound benign in comparison:
quote:
apprenticed, benighted, birdbrained, blind to, cretinous, dense, green*, illiterate, imbecilic, in the dark, inexperienced, innocent, insensible, mindless, misinformed, moronic, naive, nescient, oblivious, obtuse, shallow, thick, unconscious, unconversant, uncultivated, uncultured, uneducated, unenlightened, uninformed, uninitiated, unintellectual, unknowledgeable, unlearned, unlettered, unmindful, unread, unschooled, unsuspecting, untaught, untrained, unwitting, witless

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

JBrown,

May I ask you to detail to me what to look at in the
stock that gives you concern. I am ill informed on
this topic and ask to be educated here. Thanks much!
wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking to myself with a rifle that nice who needs another. Wink Satisfaction guaranteed!