Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Speed "Type" 303 BR.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted
For many years now I have had this dream about having a "Lee Speed type" custom rifle made. Don't know why, I just wanted one.

Anyway I managed to get hold of an action and sent it off to have the works done. 26" Lothar barrel, good wood in the stock, tang safety built, express sights, 5 shot magazine, trigger worked, buffalo horn forend tip and grip cap, Silvers recoil pad etc. A Lee Speed look alike if you will.

I have worked up a load using 215 gn Woodleigh projectiles and have chronographed them at 2200 fps with good accuracy. Target at 50 metres

A few photos.

Posts: 75 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a VERY nice looking rifle. So what is the history behind it? As an amateur I see a SMLE with some sort of action cover?

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gzig5:
That is a VERY nice looking rifle. So what is the history behind it? As an amateur I see a SMLE with some sort of action cover?

The action is a 1902 MLE or Long Tom action, the predecessor to the SMLE. Original Lee Speeds were a commercial rifle built on this action. In some circles there is a big following of Lee Speed rifles.

Posts: 75 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Ihave never seen a Lee Speed that was anywhere near as gorgeous as this. truly a work of art. Tell us who did the work! I have a nicely engraved Army&Navy LeeSpeed, that is as nice as I have seen, but yours is outstanding. thanks for showing us!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Ultra cool rifle!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Wow! that has to be one of the nicest Enfield rifles in the world! what a beautiful rifle!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a hankering to see how accurate a SMLE could be. I had a new take-off P14 barrel, and had a min spec .303 reamer made. Not only is it accurate, but brass fits like a glove and lasts and lasts!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Very very nice !

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A fine rifle for the Empire.

I have the same feeling about the Krag and have a rifle being done for exactly the same reason. What does Need have to do with it?

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love it, didn't know that you could make one look that nice.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now a mystery is solved for me! In the early 90s I saw an original British made rifle very much like yours. It was in a high end shop in Albuquerque and they wanted $500 for it. I couldn't understand why someone had put so much effort into a SMLE. Now I'll bet it was a Lee Speed!

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2144 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote