New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Favorite for my best friend
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted earlier that my best friend of over 50yrs gave me his Grandfather's 1894 Stevens Favorite. It sat in my safe for about 20yrs. I thought, why don't I fix it up for him and he can pass it to his only Grandson. It will be a big surprise to him as he has neither asked about it or seen it in my safe. It started as a 25rimfire. I found a NOS 22rf barrel and Jim Wisner had the proper parts for the receiver. I sent it to Joe(Harz)Steele and he put the new parts and headspaced the barrel. I bought some wood from Steven Dodd Hughes a few years ago and decided to use it. I told Jim Kobe to carve a factory type stock without checkering. I sent it to Roger Kehr for a little engraving. It should be back from Roger anyday. I will send it to Turnbull for color case and rust blue. Below is a couple photos.

I will post more photos when it is completed.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is going to be a true heirloom. I'm particularly glad to see Joe's work is part of it. He would be pleased with the results.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,
Joe was a pleasure to work with. He wasn't going to charge me because he was happy that I was doing it for a friend. I did pay him well for his part. My Friend and his Grandson will take excellent care of this rifle. I know they will be pleased with it.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle and even more beautiful sentiment behind it.
My future grandkids will be disappointed I wasn't nicer to you Butch.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an idea that you will take care of Ford.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking little gun and a kind gesture to a good friend. I have two shooters and an action or two laying around for future projects. My kids will have to use the shooters, my future grandkids may have a chance at the actions being turned into nice custom rifles Smiler.

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shane,
You better start working on it. I know it is tough to also work on your own fun projects when you need to make a living and have children that demand a lot of time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool Butch.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote