New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about wait time
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, so here is the dilemma. I talked to a gunsmith about building me a rifle. That was almost 7 months ago. At the time we worked out the details and the cost. I offered to pay up front, but he refused and said that he would wait until the project was done. It was a fairly simple rebarrel of a rifle and basically adding a very utilitarian stock to replace the original military version. Again, very ordinary, very plain. This was to be a plinking rifle and something to just experiment with before I decided to upgrade it even more. He quoted me a couple of months, and as I said, it has now been almost seven months. He has not responded to any PM's on this site (where he is a poster). I won't mention his name as of yet since he might not be getting PM's, but he has been posting regularly, so hopefully he will see this.
So the real question is, how long do I wait or has it been long enough and time to just decide that for some reason he no longer wants to honor the agreement and go to plan B? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you call him on the telephone.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
A gunsmith gave you an estimate of 2 months?! They all lie but that is just crazy. I'd figure on him stringing you along for 6-8 years.

quote:
So the real question is, how long do I wait or has it been long enough and time to just decide that for some reason he no longer wants to honor the agreement and go to plan B?

I don't think I've ever seen the word "honor" in a query about gunsmiths.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like he doesn't want to do it.

I don't beg people to take my money.

If they want it they need to work for it.

I would find someone else.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes...maybe he just don't want to do the job.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he is a professional gun builder he may just have not wanted to hurt your feelings or perhaps got busy on bigger projects.

A lot of the local gunsmiths do admirable work on utilitarian stuff like that. There is a lot of work that goes into building a custom.

If it is a military action it is going to require more than just a barrel and stock to function correctly given the caliber chosen. It would be a good way for a guy to get a bad name from someone that is disappointed in the end product of a cost saving project.

I wouldn't give the guy too hard a time. If he's too busy or does not want the project there are plenty of people that do. It just ain't that big a deal. I would just move on and find someone else.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
There's a myriad of possible reasons for the slow turnaround, but if any of them include that the smith don't like you, or doesn't want to do the job, he should never have accepted it to begin with. Of course if he's only become aware that your'e a prick since the commission, then all bets are off... Wink I agree with the first responder that instead of relying on PM's, you need to call the smith.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
What is plan B...

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the good news, he does not have any of your money.

the bad news, he does have your rifle.

If he is within 250 miles of me, I would call, check his progress, and if not satisfied, just tell him you will drive over in the morning and pick up the rifle.

The issue here, is that he is not addressing your legitimate concerns.

I have had dealings with several of the gunsmiths here, and all of them made time to talk with me a minute or two, or asked if I would call back in an hour.

Good Luck!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've met exactly two gunsmiths (one is on here) who work to schedule in 40 years of hiring them. My local smith estimates 6 months for a simple re-barrel, chamber, etc.

So I say, "OK put me on the list and I'll bring my gun over in 5 months."

"Oh no, you can't do that because you might not bring it over and it will throw my schedule off."

I tell him, "Then you can just move the next guy up who's been waiting 6 months if my gun isn't there."

He says, "Oh no, that's impossible." cuckoo

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will name a few names.

Jim Kobe. He gave me a date on a complex project. It included restoring an OM 70 to its' pre-bubba factory shape (5 holes in the action; none of which lined up), recutting and threading a Remington barrel to fit it, and chambering and headspacing it for my 460 G&A. He also fit Talley bases to look as if milled in. His "rough estimate" over the phone, was about a fifty-dollar bill off the final tab. Two months, give or take.

DPCD. You have all heard the trials and tribulations of my Wesson replica. My old stocker spent a day looking at the 90% inletted stock, and sent it back. He said it was way too complex for his 82 year old eyes. I talked to DPCD on the phone and he agreed to do it. I shipped it to him two months before I was heading back to the St Louis area to visit family. I made a side trip to his home in Iowa, and picked it up enroute. Two months, give or take.

There are a lot of great gunsmiths here on AR.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'll drop a name, John Farner (TooManyTools) did the work for me on time and for less than the estimate.

I liked it so much that he's re-barreling and doing some other work on a gun for my brother.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John has two actions on mine in his shop, waiting for barrels to begin the metal work. Having visited him at his shop, I have faith that he will also do the work in a timely manner, and at a reasonable price.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent a 'smith recommended to me my Mod 70 stainless action in mid-late Jan of this year. He was to add a new 26" barrel chambered for 6.5-06, tune the trigger to 2.5# and bed it into a custom ordered McMillan fiberglass stock that he was to order for me. Had the gun back first part of June...stock was the longest wait.
His name is Jim Kobe and he does top shelf work...I am extremely pleased.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just some of the guys that I have worked with. Jim Kobe, David Christman, John Farner, Nick Hughes, James Anderson, Dean Zollinger, and some I may not recall at this time. I was satisfied with their work and timeliness.
Had a guy that posted here a few years ago that also wrote a notebook with tooling prints. After a lot of time and trouble I got my parts back with no work done.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all thanks to all of those who answered this post. I was able to get an email from the smith, and he is now saying September. I will send pics when I get the rifle, but I don't think it will be what anyone has envisioned as a custom rifle. Thanks again.

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote