Tools

Interesting cheek piece design.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
By Curt Haas from Guns International.
Nice or not for me?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5150 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s certainly interesting, but looks to me that someone could not decide what they wanted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both.

Nice, as in nicely done, but not for me...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
The skeleton butt plate appears to be from a Parker shotgun.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would that be Kurt Haas from Red Bulff CA.

One heck of a old world master, he passed a number of years ago.

If I recall, the ACGG did a story on a few of his rifles/stocks a few years back

J Wisner

Posts: 1442 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks nice.

The real question is how the guns comes to the shoulder and aligns the eye with the sights.

If it does that well then it is just fine.

Posts: 19421 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is kurt from red bluff
he did more than one design cheekpiece
good friend for many years
certainly talanted man

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I also saw a Sako with a fancy stock by Kurt Haas. Sorry for the mispelling. Maybe the G.I. listing was incorrect? Couldn't find the listing again.

Posts: 5150 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The Sako. Very crisp details.
https://www.gunauction.com/buy/13178819

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...I'm a little skeptical about the Sako . I knew Kurt well from the 1960's until his passing and the checkering just does'nt look like somehilng he'd do. The Schnable is not at all like Kurt's signature. He also had a signature grip cap, with an inlay of silver, gold, even saw one with a polished stone

It seems to me that he stamped a logo behind the recoil lug "By Haase"

Of course...he may have done some one off departure

Posts: 3488 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id almost bet money that butt plate is a replacement, as its poorly fitted and the checkering is out of wack the butt plat work does not match the rest of the workmanship on the gun..

Detail work is fun to do, but there is a fine line between class and gaudy..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41941 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Duane: I thought the Sako had some similarities to the first one. How someone can miss-spell a guys name when it's right on the barrel is beyond me.
Kurt D. Haase it is. Thanks.

Here's the same gun recently offered on G.I.
Haase

Ray: Yeah I saw the gap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
im not sold on it being a haase rifle
there was a guy in redding calif who was duplicating kurts stocks and building complete guns
his work was pretty good but not as good as kurts
bolt handle doesnt look like kurts -- he had his own style he installed which i have some
grip cap looks like kurts as i also have some of those

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Duane: I thought the Sako had some similarities to the first one. How someone can miss-spell a guys name when it's right on the barrel is beyond me.
Kurt D. Haase it is. Thanks.

Here's the same gun recently offered on G.I.
Haase

Ray: Yeah I saw the gap.

Sure that's not Kurt "O" Haase? Pretty sure it was Kurt Otto Haase. Little history here: I have Kurt's South Bend Tool Room lathe he purchsed new in 1946 when he lived in Oakland CA. Got the bill of sale from South Bend Archives...small world. PS the lathe is in great shape. It will stay in the family even if I get careless in the cross walks.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
The skeleton butt plate appears to be from a Parker shotgun.

I can't see the scrws too well, but it looks like a Mac Farlane skeleton butt to me... Of course, Mac Farlane made those plates long after Kurt's passing.. I'm gonna call the rifle a fake

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post

Here is the butt of my Parker repro 20 ga.
Identical to my 12 except for size. The resemblance is striking. To me, it seems the metal/wood mating is better on the Parker.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
OK Duane. Kurt O. Haase info found on double gun. Your name is mentioned at the end of page one.

Kurt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The postion of the upper screw on your Parker is different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I had a Haase, but somebody told me that he was a great friend of Mr, Haase and would love to have it. I need to find the photos of it.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i purchased the haase rifle from you butch
i donated the rifle to a fellow who has a large firearms museum in montana
to display for the public to view and help cary on a history of old world craftsman

he refuses to display the rifle
and refuses to return the rifle to me
sad deal
im trying to pursue the return and if i accomplish it i will donate it to the cody museum along with alot of other items that belonged to kurt -- some history goes with it about kurts journey through the gun world

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logger2:
i purchased the haase rifle from you butch
i donated the rifle to a fellow who has a large firearms museum in montana
to display for the public to view and help cary on a history of old world craftsman

he refuses to display the rifle
and refuses to return the rifle to me
sad deal
im trying to pursue the return and if i accomplish it i will donate it to the cody museum along with alot of other items that belonged to kurt -- some history goes with it about kurts journey through the gun world

Hopefully it turns out. What caliber was it.
Thanks

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7x66 von hoff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, I remember it having a different chambering. I sent Duane a couple photos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch...sorry I didn't recognize your personal email. I don't think the photos are of a Haase rifle. At his memorial, Elizabeth displayed some of his latest rifles. His style didn;t change much ( I think his execution just got better and better)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the rifle i got from butch was kurts own personal hunting rifle
he showed me pics of him hunting with it in alaska
i was at his shop while he was stocking a couple rifles with that style cheekpiece
these were some of the last guns he made

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well..that woud be pretty good evidence!

The Alaska rifle would have been a 7x61 S&H. If I remember correctly, he went there in about 1968. He had a great time and I can still hear him descibing a trick lock on a cabin (tricky to bears).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just noticed that the rifle posted by Custom bolt has many photos on Guns International.. Kurt passed in 2004 at 87 in Red Bluff Ca.

Tehama Co, death notice lists his name as Kurt "O" Haase...not Kurt "D" Haase. Why on earth would he sign his own work with the middle initoal of "D"? Any written records I find...always "O" I knew him as Kurt O Haase.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sure would be nice to see one engraved Kurt O. Haase or more likely one stamped behind the recoil lug.
Mayby butch or Logger can enlighten us on the identifying marks of their's. I thought maybe Kurt D. could have been their son. But, then I found his Wife's obituary from 2012 and their only son wasn't named Kurt or were any of the grand or great grandchildren.
Did a search and none of the Kurt D.'s had anything to do with firearms.

quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Just noticed that the rifle posted by Custom bolt has many photos on Guns International.. Kurt passed in 2004 at 87 in Red Bluff Ca.

Tehama Co, death notice lists his name as Kurt "O" Haase...not Kurt "D" Haase. Why on earth would he sign his own work with the middle initoal of "D"? Any written records I find...always "O" I knew him as Kurt O Haase.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kurt's son is "Duane" It 's his first bname

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the gun i had has kurts name in stock behind recoil lug
i seen pics of this gun in his shop
some of his last rifles had half round and half octogon barrels with machined donut
over the years i machined several stocks for him
i have metal patterns for skelton butt plates and grip caps and i machined several walnut inserts for him

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I like it a lot.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13448 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Logger2.

Duane. Interesting. Is the son Duane also deceased?
That might explain why he isn't mentioned here.

obituary

quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Kurt's son is "Duane" It 's his first bname

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect many gunbuilders have guns that didn't come out up to snuff so kept them to hunt with???,

I have two such guns..I keep them to hunt with, wouldn't let them go out, I didn't make guns on order except for special friends, but would sell one I made for myself if the price was right, then make another, more of a hobby, than anything else..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41941 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote